snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Hair in throat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair in throat
underwired
Rabies Home Journal

Icon 01 posted      Profile for underwired   Author's Homepage   E-mail underwired   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried a search on this, please chow me if I missed it.

A friend of mine told me that he knew some guy that went down on his girlfriend and got a hair stuck in his throat. He could never get it out, and it was constantly irritating him. A few weeks later he finally went to a doctor because he couldn't take it anymore. The doctor looked in his throat and discovered that the hair had taken root in the flesh of his throat, and had to be plucked out.

Now he told me this when we were all sitting around talking story some time back. I remembered this a few days ago when I got a hair stuck in my throat (don't ask). My friend moved to the mainland, and we've lost touch so I can't question him on details.

Now this sounds like an urban legend, but you never know. Any thoughts?

Posts: 351 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Flounder
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How would a hair take root?

Maybe we should inform the "Hair Club For Men". It could start up a whole new line.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 09 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that's why people trimmed.. ahem.. [Wink]
Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
weevilknevil

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Prevent the expense hairball-removal related hospital procedures! Let's all shave!!!

Knevil

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it were this easy wouldn't most balding men have successful hair transplants now? They could just take some hair, put it on the man's head, create a warm, moist environment (ie wet the guy's head and put a cap on it like a swim cap to keep it sealed and require him to wear it non stop)...viola!
Little "don't do that or you'll grow hair on your throat" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Konstantine [Echelon]
Baby Ruth, I Need Your Lovin'

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Konstantine [Echelon]     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flounder:

Maybe we should inform the "Hair Club For Men". It could start up a whole new line.

It can't take root. Once a hair has been removed, it is dead. Hair grows because of the follicles and the keratin on the strand.

--------------------
It's to dying in another's arms and why I had to try it. It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, when the first star you see may not be a star...

Left Field Envy
CHICAGO WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Posts: 241 | From: Chicago, White Sox Town | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Konstantine331:
quote:
Originally posted by Flounder:

It can't take root. Once a hair has been removed, it is dead. Hair grows because of the follicles and the keratin on the strand.
And even if it could some how take root ( say the hair came out with the follicle attached ouch ) you would have tissue rejection problems
Dav(i still have all my hair)ros

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Garth

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No- it could not "take root", but some tissue could have grown over it, nessesitating some "plucking".
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt a hair could remain in someone's throat for a few days anyway without being eaten along with any food/drink that went down the gullet. Things do not get caught in the throat unless they are sharp or too big and lodge in it- the wind pipe would be a different story though...

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ Say ahhh!

I wonder about the tonsils. For whatever reason, mine fill up with white stuff from time to time... and when they aren't there are visible holes. That's a scary thought.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba

Icon 37 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As others have said, you don't need to worry about it taking root. But if that annoying hair is still stuck, try swallowing a teaspoon of peanut butter. And please don't ask why I know that this works.

Ali "ack ack oop!" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ali, the peanut butter worked?

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba

Icon 104 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ali, the peanut butter worked?
Um (blushing furiously) yeah, it did. A couple of times I've had....um...short and curly hairs caught in my throat. (Can't believe I'm admitting to this....) And yes, peanut butter worked like a charm.

Ali "running to go hide in a cave somewhere" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deciduousblonde

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always manage to regurgitate hair pretty well [Embarrassed] thank gawd! I swear that I get hairs on my chest 'implanted'from my SO, though...I never had them before I met him and now have to do a considerable amount of plucking every now and then [Eek!] or is it just my age and hormones? any suggestions gratefully received.
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL actually I have a noticeable dark hair over right nipple (if looking at me it would be on the left)... hehehe but I am a wuss for pain so I don't do anything with it... but I have considered cutting it once or twice. I had it long before I was with this SO. I think that's it... there might be a few stray light ones...

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wingman

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If this was actually a problem, you could always put nair on your cats paw and you will lick it off (it tastes like beer). [Big Grin]

Wing "Reminds me of a joke where Lincoln was stroking his chin and chuckling" Man

guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 19 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, actually Ali, I was thinking about the popcorn, but, hey, whatever turns you on! [Big Grin]

Kim  -

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 82 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arachnidwan2b:
Well, actually Ali, I was thinking about the popcorn, but, hey, whatever turns you on! [Big Grin]

Kim  -

hehe, wrong Ali [Smile] That was me [Smile] And I felt really stupid because it was actually hooked onto one of my tonsils; very easily removed. D'OH!

As for this thread...can you imagine if this did actually work? It would be like the chia pet! [Big Grin]

ali_chi-chi-chi-chia_marea

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
underwired
Rabies Home Journal

Icon 01 posted      Profile for underwired   Author's Homepage   E-mail underwired   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for this thread...can you imagine if this did actually work? It would be like the chia pet! [Big Grin]

ali_chi-chi-chi-chia_marea

That came to mind for me too. Wasn't there a SNL skit called "chia head" for balding men?

Anyway, I got rid of the hair along with any residual paranoia.

Posts: 351 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shunka War'akin

Icon 303 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the Johnny Socko track, "Uvula Maintence" on the album _Bovaqaurium_.
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 27 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lexi_wades:
Things do not get caught in the throat unless they are sharp

Here's the deal. A freshly cut hair is very sharp, and can act just like a sliver if it catches the skin. When I was in beauty school, we couldn't wear any kind of open toed shoes or cotton shirts (we had smocks) because the hair can easily work it's way through the clothes or onto the feet and give a nasty sliver! When it happened (and it frequently did) the hair had to be tweezed out, just like a sliver.

I suppose if a girl was trimming with scissors prior, and a cleanly-cut hair naturally shed and was swallowed, it could become inserted into the lining if the throat. But "take root?" Scientifically and biologically impossible. The "root" is in the scalp. The hair is the product.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages