snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Nude swimming as part of Physical Education classes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nude swimming as part of Physical Education classes
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 603 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody recall where, as part of Physical Education classes in school, they were also required to swim in puris naturalibus--otherwise known as "nakie"?

And what were the reason(s) given (as far as could be recalled) for such naked swimming or swimming instruction?

(Obviously, such was not the kind as involved mixed company, For Obvious Reasons.)

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Summerhill School in Suffolk, a famous "progressive" school founded in 1921, certainly used to have clothing optional swimming in PE lessons. (I remember from a TV documentary about it a while ago.) I don't know whether it's current policy or not. These were mixed lessons, "Obvious Reasons" or not.

I'm not sure which of these is Summerhill's official website, or the more useful of the two - one says it's temporary, and the other doesn't seem to have a great deal on it:

http://www.s-hill.demon.co.uk/
http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/

(The second link, under "Information/School Policy", gives the rationale and philosophy behind the school.)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 09 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting link... To quote from the site:

MYTH No. 6: "Nude bathing is an extra-curricular activity at Summerhill."

REALITY: The school does not force nude bathing, or anything else. There is no organised nude swimming at Summerhill. Members of the community have the individual freedom to wear costumes, or not, as a matter of personal choice. In fact, almost everybody wears costumes at the present time.

I'd like to have gone to that school! But I don't think I'd want to be the person who got nude first. I'd be afraid my teacher would say, "Um, you know that whole 'costumes optional' thing? Yeah, we didn't think anyone would actually do that soooo.... It would be nice if, in the future, you could come to class with your suit on. Yeah, this isn't naked time or anything like that."

(Why does my hypathetical Summerhill swin teacher sound like Lumberg from Office Space? I need more caffine.)

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 16 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to hate having swimming in phys ed. I would find ANY excuse not to get into that over-chlorinated, yet still slimy pool. In fact, I don't know anyone who actually liked swimming in PE. Being nakie would have made it worse.

Little "born with clothes on" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly OT
I heard the YMCA used to have nude swimming. I know people that swear up and down this is true. Does anyone know if it actually is?

I personally like nude swimming. Very refreshing and free. I would be the first one to strip if my school had given me the clothing optional choice. Only problem is at some C/O sites you can get fish bites and sand in places that nature shouldn't have intended.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
Slightly OT
I heard the YMCA used to have nude swimming. I know people that swear up and down this is true. Does anyone know if it actually is?

I personally like nude swimming. Very refreshing and free. I would be the first one to strip if my school had given me the clothing optional choice. Only problem is at some C/O sites you can get fish bites and sand in places that nature shouldn't have intended.

I can confirm from personal experience that the the local YMCA used to have nude swimming for males. I remember taking a coed swimming class (with bathing suits) when I was 13 and having a middle aged nude man inadvertantly walk into the middle of the class.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SilverElf4
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Why does my hypathetical Summerhill swin teacher sound like Lumberg from Office Space? I need more caffine.)

"Hey, hooowwwss it going. Since you chose to not wear a costume today, we're gonna have to go ahead and move you to the basement pool, mmmmmkkayyy?"
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dewey:
quote:
Slightly OT

I can confirm from personal experience that the the local YMCA used to have nude swimming for males.

dewey

Remember what the M in YMCA stands for. At one time females were not permitted to join--that's what the yWca was for. (That's also why in some places [e.g. NY] there's a YM and YWHA--the Y-CAs used to thke the C part more seriously than they do now. The YMCA/YWCA was originally a parachurch young adults group, similar to the IVCF/CCA today; only in those days fewer of the target age-group were in HS or College than they are now, which is why they were community-based rather than campus-based.)

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 01 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
Remember what the M in YMCA stands for. At one time females were not permitted to join--that's what the yWca was for. (That's also why in some places [e.g. NY] there's a YM and YWHA--the Y-CAs used to thke the C part more seriously than they do now. The YMCA/YWCA was originally a parachurch young adults group, similar to the IVCF/CCA today; only in those days fewer of the target age-group were in HS or College than they are now, which is why they were community-based rather than campus-based.)

WTF? [fish]
Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StarlandVocalBand

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF with the WTF? That all made perfect sense to me.

Just in case, though--YMCA stands for "Young Men's Christian Association." The organization began as part of the nineteenth century "muscular Christianity"/temperance movement; it created single-sex, no-alcohol-allowed lodging and recreational facilities so that young men would have more "Christian" options about how to spend their free time than hanging out in bars, pool halls, etc.

"YMHA" stands for "Young Men's Hebrew Association," which was an organization devoted to creating the same kinds of residences and group exercise facilities for Jewish men.

The YWCA and YWHA were the women's versions.

For some links about nude swimming at the YMCA, see here and here.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StarlandVocalBand:
WTF with the WTF? That all made perfect sense to me.

Just in case, though--YMCA stands for "Young Men's Christian Association." The organization began as part of the nineteenth century "muscular Christianity"/temperance movement; it created single-sex, no-alcohol-allowed lodging and recreational facilities so that young men would have more "Christian" options about how to spend their free time than hanging out in bars, pool halls, etc.

"YMHA" stands for "Young Men's Hebrew Association," which was an organization devoted to creating the same kinds of residences and group exercise facilities for Jewish men.

The YWCA and YWHA were the women's versions.

For some links about nude swimming at the YMCA, see here and here.

Reminds me of a great episode of "Eight is Enough" where the dad (Dick Van Patton) takes his youngest to learn how to swim. They decided to do it in the buff, since this is how dad learned, but miss the sign indicating that it is "Co-ed splass hour".

Beach...hilarity ensues...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone also mentioned this on Yesterdayland.com recently. Never happened around here.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I find it strange that many people who claim to be among the sexual sophisticates get all squiggly and giggly at the thought of same-sex nude swimming.

Yes, Virginia, there was a time when men would go into the water together (whether at the Y or at the beach) without bathing suits. Considering that when they swam coed, they wore full-piece suits made of wool(!), I'm sure they preferred it that way. And, strangely enough, there are few reports of orgies initiated by the sight of their friends or relations in the nude. I guess at the time they didn't realize that the only real reason to ever take your clothes off is to seduce someone.

Wingman

Icon 218 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I lived in a condo complex with a lot of seniors, the pool was empty by eight PM, I get home around two AM. By the end of summer it was bath-water warm & a great pickup line "we can swim nekkid but we have to be quiet." I highly recommend swimming naked given the chance, my only problem is the tremendous drag created...

Wing "Youth, Sweet Youth" Man

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 98 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at Primary school we had swimming lessons as part of PE. It was only in a largeish paddling pool, mind. It was the same as in most PE classes at that age; if you forgot your PE kit, you'd have to do it in your undies. If you forgot your cossie, you'd have to do it nude.

Yup, it was boys and girls together (although, it must be pointed out that at that age girls and boys tend to find each other "icky" or "errrr").

What pissed me off was that I'd learned to swim years before I went there, and had never worn an armband in my life. You had to swim with armbands until the teachers decided you could swim. So, to prove I could swim, I had to do a length of the pool wearing armbands. I couldn't do it, because I'd never worn armbands, and found they kept my arms above water, so I couldn't crawl properly. I could also touch the bottom of the pool with my feet, which I wasn't used to, either. So, it was deemd that I "couldn't swim", and I refused to take part in the lessons, instead electing to go down to the swimming pool on the weekends, and swim properly.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my dad, who graduated high school in 1969, they had their swim class in the nude.

moon "almost failed PE because I never showed up for swim" light

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages