snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » NFBSK Archive » Prison Rape - really happens?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prison Rape - really happens?
Professor X
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking of embarking on a life of crime but wanted to get opinions on the downside:

Prison and jailhouse rape...does it really happen? You hear plenty of jokes about "Bubba" but
I wonder about the truth to it. Maybe some ex-con or current convicts can confirm some other
"facts":

Convicts look for potential "girlfriends" upon the arrival of new "fish". Common "punk" targets
are white, small, and without money or contacts. Some punks are "traded" between prison
groups. Gang rapes are common and are usually done by black gangs against lone white guys.
Some famous black celebrities who were imprisoned were gang-raped as retribution for
some perceived transgression (such as Tupac Shukur). Most prisons and large city jails not
only ignore this activity but encourage it for prison control purposes.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In short, yes.

http://www.spr.org/

Welcome to the board. Hambubba...or "Uncle Bubba" is one of our friendliest members, don't go giving him a complex. [Wink]

Meg

tha girl's a supa geek, supa geeky

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, a large amount of this is true as far as I can tell.
quote:
Common "punk" targets
are white, small, and without money or contacts. Some punks are "traded" between prison
groups...Most prisons and large city jails not
only ignore this activity but encourage it for prison control purposes.

Salon.com has an interesting piece here about rape as a disciplinary tactic

Human Rights Watch US
Also has some information on it.

Last semester I read this book called Makes Me Wanna Holler by Nathan McCall ; it is basically his coming of age story but there is a section about his time in prison where he describes the sexual dynamics. Psychologically, it's very interesting, he really gets into the minds of the rapists and victims

you ain't nothing but a rossdawg

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I started a thread on this very topic months ago but can't remember the exact thread title.
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, prison rape happens with frightening regularity in prisons all over the country. Check out the Human Rights, US Style post in the Politics section. Of course nothing in life is as certain as death and taxes, but if you want some measure of safety in prison, you had better be a member of a street or prison gang, the more ruthless the better. I read a link not too long ago about the chances of you getting raped in prison if you were White. It was purely anectodal, but the author surmised that if you were White and had no ties to prison/street gangs (fish), your chances of getting raped by Black inmates was very high. But if you were a member of a biker gang and was locked down with Black inmates in a pod, your chances of getting raped were practically zero. I would agree with that assessment, no inmate would want to mess with a hardcore biker gang member.

Forget the old tales about the nature of your crime determining your status in jail, you could be the baddest bank robber in the universe but that won't do jack for you in the pen unless you got backup. It also depends on what region of the country you get locked up also. You see, many criminals "learn" how to serve their time from when they were young, gradually progressing from juvenile hall to youth authority to state/federal prison. They know the ropes so to speak, how to serve their time.

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tha girl's a supa geek, supa geeky:

Salon.com has an interesting piece here about rape as a disciplinary tactic

Human Rights Watch US
Also has some information on it.

Also from salon.com, I originally posted this link as a separate topic (every man's worst nightmare) last year on this site:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/01/22/memphis/index.html

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
woohmom
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 01 posted      Profile for woohmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I took sociology, we went to visit a state prison. The guards explained to us that the riskiest time is when you're first sent to prison, before they've separated everybody into their security risks. That's when the wussy folks are most likely to be mixed with the nasty mean folks. Once everybody is split up, the risk goes way down. Of course, this was coming from the guards...

--------------------
Give peas a chance.

Posts: 564 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also from salon.com, I originally posted this link as a separate topic (every man's worst nightmare) last year on this site:
I remember when you posted this!! That story is burnt into my head.
Bill

I've never been incarcerated, but I used to correspond with someone in prison and according to him, it's true, among other horrors. And according to him, the guards just laugh at it.

Also, gang leaders allegedly have an easy time of it in prison because of their influence and because the prison guards/officials are "on the take" themselves.

I'm not condoning what anyone did to be sent to prison, but the prisoner used to say that if you put someone in prison, watch him get raped, and don't do anything to educate him, when he gets out he'll be a bad person, someone you wouldn't want to deal with.

Thanks.

Bill

ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 06 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an acquaintence who was writing a fiction story. She did a lot of research into prison conditions, because she planned to have her protagonist sent to prison (on a false conviction).

When she finished her research, she realized it would be almost completely unrealistic for him *not* to be raped while there, the incidence of rape of someone with his looks being THAT high.

Sad, really.

ULTRAGOTHA

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Status the Untouchable

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some famous black celebrities who were imprisoned were gang-raped as retribution for
some perceived transgression (such as Tupac Shukur).

Tupac was never raped in prison. He even somewhat joked about the rumors, saying "If I wouldn't get on the ground for 2 niggas with guns, what makes you think I'd bend over for a nigga without one?" Rapes also happen in women's prisons, with broomsticks
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
I'm not condoning what anyone did to be sent to prison, but the prisoner used to say that if you put someone in prison, watch him get raped, and don't do anything to educate him, when he gets out he'll be a bad person, someone you wouldn't want to deal with.

Thanks.

Bill

This is what happened to William King, the man who horrified the nation when he dragged a man to death behind a truck in Texas. From all accounts he was a mild mannered man before being sent to one of the most brutal prisons in Texas for a robbery conviction. Yes, he did seem to have prior racist beliefs, but was not some raving radical. He denied it, but King's attorney's believe he was viciously gang raped in prison and after that he was a transformed, ticking time bomb.
lucy2005

quote:
Originally posted by Professor X:
I've been thinking of embarking on a life of crime but wanted to get opinions on the downside:

Uhm.....am I the only one bothered by this? What kind of crime? Oh dear...
lucy2005

Sceeva the Great

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Status the Untouchable:
[QBRapes also happen in women's prisons, with broomsticks[/QB]

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say "OWWWWW". Man, talk about splinters. . . [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
princess

This may seem random, but I seem to remember that Marion Barry was raped while in prison. I think her even talked about it on one of the news magazine shows. I'm not 100% sure though, so if someone knows either way I'd appreciate it.
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Marion Barry was raped while in prison. I think her even talked about it ...
I assume the "her" was a typo for "he" - you do know that Marion Berry is a man, right?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
princess

Oops!!! Somehow it just makes it funnier
Viva Las Guinastasia

Good god. These aren't prisons-they're Monster Factories.

That's what they're doing-turning people into monsters-even worse when they leave. And the guards that try and intervene are beaten-one guy had a hit placed on him.
[Frown]

According to the Salon articles, Lawrence of Arabia was raped while in a Turkish prison and it ruined his life.

bruce down under
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for bruce down under   E-mail bruce down under   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, true in Australia too. My beloved used to work in the population health area of a "correctional facility" here. Day one: Have you been in gaol before? This is what to expect...

Interesting. Men who have sex with men in prison are not necessarily considered homosexual. Women who have sex with women in prison are considered homosexual.

And getting sex you didn't really want is not the end of it.

I'm interested too, what crime?

Bruce (come up here and NFBSK mummy's NFBSK) down under

Posts: 429 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've posted this before, but is anyone else bothered by the way people can so easily joke about prison rape? Jay Leno makes cracks about it the same way he does about Clinton's sex life, and everyone just yuks it up. This is RAPE we're talking about here! Why is that considered funny? We would never be so callous about male-on-female rape, even if it were of prisoners.

I'm no psychologist, but I think it's a little bit of whistling past the graveyard. We find prison rape so disgusting and unnerving that we laugh about it in order to avoid dealing with it. But we really should be dealing with it. In addition to the problem cited above of turning small-time thieves into sociopaths, it also speeds the transmission of HIV, and not just among prisoners. After all, most of these guys will eventually be released back into society.

Don Gato

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages