snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Crime Archive » Distress PIN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Distress PIN
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard that entering your pin number in reverse order at an ATM
may alert authorities if you are being robbed. I did this accidently at
an ATM, and the machine waited until the end of the transaction to
reconfirm my PIN, Which I entered correctly this time.

Any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it were true, I think that it would be better publicized. What good is a defensive measure that no one knows about? Furthermore, how would the "machine" contact the police?

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Double Latte
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Double Latte   E-mail Double Latte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And what if my number is the same backwards as forwards?

--------------------
"Senility Prayer"
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Posts: 1755 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know even if this is a UL I have to admit... its not a bad idea.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greg writes
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most alarm systems will send out an "ambush" message if you enter one higher than your code (example: if your code is 1234, you'd enter 1235). It's for situations if someone followed you inside your house/business and held you at gunpoint to disable the alarm. The alarm would be disabled as normal, so the robber thinks nothing of it. But the security company notifies the police that you're in trouble, and to not use sirens en route to your home/business (as to not spook the robber, and to nab the perp as he makes his getaway).

That type of code would make more sense for ATMs (and address the "what if the PIN is the same forwards as backwards?" question).

But consider what I found here: ATM stats
quote:
ATM robbers are usually males under 25 years of age and most work alone. ATM robbers usually position themselves nearby (30 feet) waiting for a victim to approach and withdraw cash. Half of the ATM robberies occur after the cash withdrawal. Many ATM robbery victims are women and were alone when robbed. Most claim that they never saw the robber coming. Most ATM robbers used a gun or claimed to have a concealed weapon when confronting the victim and demanding their cash.
That being said, the need for entering a PIN backwards for a police ambush would be a moot. Most ATMs have video cameras, so a robber would be unlikely to stand nearby with a gun at your head ... allowing the whole thing to get caught on tape. They'll wait out of sight until AFTER the withdrawl (and hence, long after you've entered the correct PIN), when they know you have the cash on you.

These are crimes of opportunity ... with minimal results. Most banks impose daily withdrawl limits ($300, usually). And what's the average withdrawl, anyway? $40, $60, $100? I wouldn't risk getting shot or stabbed over that amount.

Bottom line, don't try any funny stuff. Fork over the cash, remember as many details as possible and file a police report. The bank may even refund the money you lost (depending on the goodwill of the branch manager).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, if you are on an elevator and push the button for a floor other than the one you want to visit, an emergency response unit will be dispatched to your location.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh.

Still, I concur with Joe Bentley... some manner of "distress PIN" really would be a great idea. I'm surprised no one has come up with it yet.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone has. Unfortunatly it was someone who makes ULs instead of ATMs. [Razz]
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Also, if you are on an elevator and push the button for a floor other than the one you want to visit, an emergency response unit will be dispatched to your location.

Eh? Is this supposed to be a joke? How does the elevator "know" which floor you want to visit? Why would pressing a certain floor button mean there's an emergency? I don't get it. For example, if I needed to go to floor 2, and pressed floor 2, then realized I forgot something and pressed floor 1 to go back down, the elevator would take me to floor 2 and then back down again. Why would anything else happen unless I pressed the "call" button? I frequently press wrong floor buttons (accidentally) and have never had any elevator emergency/repair/whatever people come. So...I don't understand this.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LtColCarter
Raiders of the Lost Shark

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LtColCarter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus, I think it actually was a joke.

--------------------
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu

Posts: 1544 | From: Northern California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And to add on to that, what criminal would wait around for teh cops to show up, miost of em would be gone in a minute way before the cops arrive.

And as well, how would teh cops know if you simply entered it in wrong. In other words, how do they know a real emergency from a fake one? That would draw cops away from something else...

[ 04. December 2004, 12:06 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Arthur Haley's The Moneychangers featured a "distress credit card" in the name of H. E. Lyncolp (spelling out HELP if used) given to a bank's undercover agent, which when used resulted in an alert being passed to the police.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe someone actually believed the 'elevator' alarm post.
Besides, I live in Australia and we have the ATM alarm PIN thing. You just multiply your pin by 15, think of a number between 1 and 10 then subtract that. Divide by the sum of your PIN's numbers added together. [Cool]

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Blonde, a FOAF said that the number that's subtracted can be used as a clue to tell police hints about the person trying to rob you. Is that true?

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages