snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Crime Archive » Woman raped by teens sues over faulty peephole

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woman raped by teens sues over faulty peephole
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman raped by two teenagers has filed a lawsuit against them, their parents and the apartment complex where she lived, claiming the complex could have prevented the attack if it had repaired a faulty peephole.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0124RapeLawsuit24-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just who will she sue because she was too stupid to actually engage the visitors in conversation prior to opening her door to verify their identities??

While I admit that the foggy peephole was a factor, I think that she was more than 50% responsible for the fact that the kids got access to her apartment.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Two Scoops
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Scoops   Author's Homepage   E-mail Two Scoops   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me to the fourth paragraph to realize it was a door peephole and not a hole in the wall to the shower or something. I thought a hole in the wall further provoked them to do it.

Am I the only one who thought along these lines?

(I know I probably am !)

Posts: 846 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Just who will she sue because she was too stupid to actually engage the visitors in conversation prior to opening her door to verify their identities??

While I admit that the foggy peephole was a factor, I think that she was more than 50% responsible for the fact that the kids got access to her apartment.

OK, so she may have been 50% responsible for the kids getting access to her apartment, but surely you don't mean that therefor she was 50% responsible for her own rape? Is she to assume that anyone wanting entrance to her apartment is there to rape her? Am I to assume that if I don't barricade myself inside the house, then I will be raped or robbed?

Gee, I'll bet she was wearing a short skirt, too. She was just asking for it, wasn't she? [Mad]

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Uuuuuuuh, yeaaaah...

"Who is it?"
"We're here to rape you!"

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
quote:

OK, so she may have been 50% responsible for the kids getting access to her apartment, but surely you don't mean that therefor she was 50% responsible for her own rape? Is she to assume that anyone wanting entrance to her apartment is there to rape her? Am I to assume that if I don't barricade myself inside the house, then I will be raped or robbed?

Gee, I'll bet she was wearing a short skirt, too. She was just asking for it, wasn't she? [Mad]

Well his exact words were "getting access to her apartment."

There is a difference between saying that she could of done more given the circumstance (which looks to be true) and saying the rape was her fault (which of course is false).

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Um, sure.

"Who is it?"

"Landshark ma'am."

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Firefox crashed on me before i finished, but my point was that unless she could have identified the people as rapists, the peephole would have done no good to prevent teh crime. And unless she could read minds, i could have gone to her house, come up with a bull story to get in and raped her (no, i would not actualy do that, its hypothetical). Unless she could tell that I was going to rape her, the peephole does no good. The owner contrls access to the house - not the peephole. Its not her fault if she was decieved, but its not the peep-holes maker that she was decieved.

If we really wanted to play th eblame game, we could ask why she didnt have a door chain installed as a backup in case she was decieved. A peep hole can only show what a person looks like. they dont provide the detail that your eyes have.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Two Scoops:
It took me to the fourth paragraph to realize it was a door peephole and not a hole in the wall to the shower or something. I thought a hole in the wall further provoked them to do it.

Am I the only one who thought along these lines?

(I know I probably am !)

Nope, you're not the only one. I thought of Porky's too.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Traveller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another article, more details: Survivor of sadistic rape sues attackers

quote:
Thompson said she hopes the lawsuit will change the way security requests are handled by complexes. The peephole was not her only problem, she said.

Her then 2-year-old son found syringe needles in the apartment and when she turned them into the office, employees had little to no reaction – not what she was hoping for, she said. And after the attacks, the complex replaced a missing square of carpet that police cut out for evidence with a piece that didn’t match and expected Thompson to pay for the carpet, she said.

Upon moving out, her security deposit was not returned, she said. Thompson, who said she looks at men differently since the attack, vows to never again live in an apartment complex.

This reads to me like a justifiably very angry person taking the actions available to her to punish an indifferent, callous apartment management company. Would a working peephole have meant the door wouldn't have been opened to the attackers? Likely not. Although who knows? Maybe there would have been something in their appearance or the expressions on their faces that would have made the apartment roommates leery of opening the door. The article says the attackers had been drinking and doing drugs prior to the attack - maybe some visual cue would have set off warning bells for the victims and that door wouldn't have been opened.

eta....

quote:
If we really wanted to play th eblame game, we could ask why she didnt have a door chain installed as a backup in case she was decieved. A peep hole can only show what a person looks like. they dont provide the detail that your eyes have.
How do you know they didn't have a chain up? None of the articles I read described the actual apartment entry.
Posts: 374 | From: Georgia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LolaRennt
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LolaRennt   E-mail LolaRennt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think she is perfectly justified, although I do question including the former management company in the lawsuit. I'm not sure I see the connection unless the peephole had been damaged while under their watch as well.

At any rate, it sounds like she's justified in her suits and I hope that she gets her point across.

LR

Posts: 780 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages