snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Crime Archive » Gang initiation rituals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gang initiation rituals
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read somewhere over the weekend about gangs in New York, well, wherever the 'Crips' are.

It said about the initiation rituals some gangs used and that in one you had to rape or kill a woman, another you had to shoot a cop and in a Latino gang, to get your 'black wings', which must be a high rank, you had to rape another man.

Can this be true? It was an interview with a cop - but how scary is that? [Eek!]

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost on Toast:
I read somewhere over the weekend about gangs in New York, well, wherever the 'Crips' are.

It said about the initiation rituals some gangs used and that in one you had to rape or kill a woman, another you had to shoot a cop and in a Latino gang, to get your 'black wings', which must be a high rank, you had to rape another man.

Can this be true? It was an interview with a cop - but how scary is that? [Eek!]

Well, for one thing, the Crips are a black gang, not a latino one. Second of all, most street gangs are motivated by territory and profit, neither of which is advanced by the act of rape.

Most criminal enterprises insist that their new members "make their bones" by proving they're up to the task of perpetrating violence or other criminal activity. This often involves maiming or killing another human being (extra points for cops and rival gangsters) since that is the sort of thing one might be called upon to do in the course of one's "duties".

The only gangs I can think of that are noted for using rape to make one's bones are some motorcycle and prison gangs.

"Making one's bones" isn't really so much an initiation as it is a test. The traditional gang initiation is to run a gauntlet.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ganymede

ummm

Isn't it Cryps??

BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ganymede:
Isn't it Cryps??

Maybe sometimes, but usually not.

Bob "rarely running" K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I k now the Crips are a black gang, but this cop said that in one Latino gang, you have to rape another man.

I'll have to dig out the article and post it. I'm positive thats what it said though becase I felt sick when I read it. It's a gaang where you get something caled 'black wings'.

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of new initiates (female) being 'sexed in' to a gang, having to have sex with all or a certain number of the male members.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eliott Ness

quote:
Originally posted by Ursa Major
Well, for one thing, the Crips are a black gang, not a latino one.

Actually, I have seen black, latino and white crips. I have even interviewed a couple asian crips in my career. The title crips has more to do with territory than race.
ThreadSlayer

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
... male members.

Heh, Heh. He said "male members".

dave

Eliott Ness

quote:
Originally posted by ganymede:
ummm

Isn't it Cryps??

I've never seen it spelled Cryps. The Gang members I've interviewed are often tatted up with "Crips" on their body in one place or another.
ravensbane
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ravensbane         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It IS spelled "Crips".

The Crips began in the area surrounding Washington High School in the South Los Angeles section circa 1970-75. Their involvement in distributing crack during the so-called "crack epidemic" of the 1980-early 1990's was a springboard launching the Crips and their bitter (also L.A.originating) rivals the Bloods nationwide.

(BTW, Barbara has a page here on snopes discussing UL's about the derivation of the name Crips.)

It is estimated that almost all L.A. Crips are African Americans, although exceptions are made--rarely. One Crip set in L.A. County is an exception: it is comprised of Samoan-Americans.

I checked with a friend who is an L.A. County Probation Officer and the initiation rumor discussed earlier in this thread is NOT true, according to both law enforcemnt and the Crips, themselves.

The Bloods may be saying different. [Smile]

Posts: 671 | From: Los Angeles, California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 602 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ravensbane:

It is estimated that almost all L.A. Crips are African Americans, although exceptions are made--rarely. One Crip set in L.A. County is an exception: it is comprised of Samoan-Americans.

I've read of a few instances where non Blacks were crip members, but you are right, it's rare. I'm not sure of a Samoan exclusive crip gang, though I've heard of a Tongan crip gang. Samoans, though, are the only non Black group to be assimilated into Black gangs, at least in southern california.

A lot of Samoans are blood gang members, many of them are in blood sets located in carson california. They are considered true bloods, O.G.'s, and accepted by other black gangs.

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
I have heard of new initiates (female) being 'sexed in' to a gang, having to have sex with all or a certain number of the male members.

I read that somewhere too, that some female gang members have the option of being sexed in or beaten in.

There have been some gangs, mostly asian, that have been involved in sex initiation type of rites. They kidnap or trick young girls and take them to motels where gang members and wannabes would rape them. This happened in Fresno and in the Midwest I believe.

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cityteacher

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I teach in an inner city grade school on the east coast. There is tremendous gang activity in our area. At our first staff meeting of the new school year, our principal cautioned us that one of the gangs has a new initiation rite. On Tuesdays, they shoot a random man. On Thursdays, they shoot a random woman. She asked that none of us stay at work late on either of those days as a precaution. That warning came from the superintendent of schools. Sure sounds like an urban legend. Anyone else hear anything like this?
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 07 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
found this looks like you were partially correct ghost on toast at least in this citygirls lured and raped by gangs [Frown]
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
angel161718

My aunt, who's not much older than I was, was a part of either the Bloods or the Crips, for al I know she still could be. Anyway, all I remember her telling me about it was that she had to fight a certain number of gang members as a test to get in or whatever. She said they either lived and joined or died. She also had to get thier symbol branded onto her arm...it's pretty gross. She did it when she was 16 or so...she's 25 now. K, I'm done.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages