snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Crime Archive » Hunter kills state trooper's shooter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hunter kills state trooper's shooter?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I keep hearing about an incident in west texas that appears to be a
true story. Its about a hunter and his son who observed a state trooper pull
over a vehicle for speeding. As the story goes, the speeder gets out of his car
and is talking to the state trooper about the ticket. The state trooper looks
back at his car for a moment and the speeder pulls the state troopers gun out
of his belt. He then shoots the state trooper. He is not aware of the hunters
presence. The hunter shoots the villian with his deer rifle and kills him. The
hunter then uses the state troopers cb to call in the incident. Althought the
hunter went before a jury, he was no-billed and later presented with a silver
pistol from the texas troopers association. I am not sure what the guys name
is, but he does not want to be identified and his name has been kept away from
the public. I think he lives around San Angelo Texas. Anyway, if you have any
information, please let me know.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Althought the
hunter went before a jury....

...his name has been kept away from
the public.

My first question is how can someone who "went before a jury" keep his name from the public, as trials are public?

That anecdote was told
here by "bandit6789@juno.com" and "yanus4343@aol.com" (Scroll down to "it happened" on the page.)

It's got all the hallmarks of a UL--different places, times, personnel involved, different 'awards' from the troopers. Even keeping tha name out of the press (as if that's possible).

I can't find any kind of historical information.

ULTRAGOTHA

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ken Earley
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAMUS:

My first question is how can someone who "went before a jury" keep his name from the public, as trials are public?

Please, don't ruin this beautiful epic of "Samaritanism" (Samaria is just down the road from Vigilantia) with your legal mumbo-jumbo.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midway Bilbo

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAMUS:

Ultra, this happened in the Republic of West Texas, they have a different set of laws there

Midway "see? high-powered rifles can save lives!" Bill

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Versions! We got versions!

Posted to rec.guns in Dec. 2000

quote:
"One Department of Public Safety trooper with Big Country connections was overlooked in Tuesday's story about Texas Highway Patrol officers who have died in the line of duty.

Sammy Charles Long, 39, who was shot to death near Rankin in November 1976, was a native of Santa Anna who grew up in Cross Plains, where he was known as Charlie. He was stationed in McCamey at the time of his death.

Long had stopped a stolen truck driven by Larry Davis, 19, of San Diego. Davis shot the trooper and then emptied the pistol into the prone trooper's body.

In one of the DPS' most graphic examples of swift and sure judgment, a deer hunter was attracted by the first shot. He watched in horror as Davis stood over the trooper's body and kept firing. Then the hunter grabbed a deer rifle with a telescopic sight and killed Davis with one shot, from a distance of between 100-150 yards.

Investigators declined to identify the hunter publicly and called his efforts to save the trooper justifiable homicide."

Another version, from, of all places, soc.subculture.bondage-bdsm in 1999:

quote:
Texas is different. i used to have a deer hunting lease near Beeville in the early 1980's. Every evening we listened to the local news to get the weather
report. One evening, the week of Thanksgiving, we heard that a State Trooper had been shot and killed making a routine traffic stop. Unknown to the trooper, an illegal alien had robbed a convenience store near Houston and had been recognized. He was making for the border when he was stopped. He jumped the trooper and shot him six times with his own sidearm.

A deer hunter returning from his morning hunt with his 6 year old son saw it happen and, as he passed, the criminal walked over to the still struggling trooper and began pulling cartridges from his belt to reload. The hunter drove on past the scene about 150 yards, well past effective pistol range. He then turned his pickup sideways across the road, pulled his deer rifle (.270) from its rack, took a rest on the hood of the truck and killed the criminal with a single shot.

Over the next several days, a San Antonio Hispanic radio station was harshly critical of the hunter and demanded he be prosecuted. THe local DA promised to question the hunter on the matter, and did that very evening at a banquet held for him by the local FOP lodge where he was presented witha nice plaque.

From talk.politics.guns, 1996

quote:
The way I heard the story was (and it must have taken place over 5 years ago) that a man and his son were finishing a deer hunt putting their guns away, when they heard shots fired. Not sure where it was, but it might have been far west Texas out toward El Paso. They looked up and saw that a highway patrol officer had been shot in a routine
traffic stop. It was a black guy driving a stolen car from California. The hunter saw what had gone down, raised his rifle, and blew the fucker away (the way it should be). I'm not racist, it wouldn't have made any difference whether either the cop or perp was black or white, this is the process of natural selection, in my humble opinion, and it's a good thing. I also heard that the Texas State Trooper Association gave the hunter a gold plated .45 in a presentation case.

OK, now for the verification, yes indeedy, the Sammy Long version is true. Markers honor slain officers

quote:
[O]n Nov. 21, 1976, Trooper Sammy Long of McCamey, an 18-year veteran of the Department of Public Safety, was shot and killed by the driver of a speeding pickup that Long had stopped along the side of the highway.
[snip]
According to news reports of the incident, Ewers opened fire on Long with a .32-caliber pistol as the trooper approached the vehicle. The driver then reportedly took Long's own service revolver and pumped six bullets into his body as he lay face down at the right rear of his patrol car.

A San Angelo man and his son, returning from a trip in New Mexico, had been passed by the pickup several times since getting on Interstate 10 in Van Horn. Noticing that Long had pulled the truck over, the man, an avid deer hunter, pulled into a rest stop only 150 yards from the two vehicles.
Seeing Ewers shoot Long, the man took out a rifle and fired several shots at Ewers, killing him.

In an interview with a Standard-Times reporter in 1976, the hunter said he reached for his rifle believing he could save Long's life.

``I did what any citizen would have done,'' the hunter said. ``I'm sorry I failed.''
[snip]
The hunter, who requested anonymity and to this day has never revealed his identity, instead was hailed as a hero and later no-billed by the grand jury.

Here's the source for the first usenet post: Abilene Reporter News

[Edit--That explains why the name was kept secret--Grand Jury proceedings are not public.]
Kathy "trooper storm" B.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ewok

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was also the more recent Texas incident(Jan. 21, 1994), recounted in Robert Waters' The Best Defense, of Travis Dean Neel saving the life of Harris County Deputy Frank Flores. Flores had stopped a stolen Jeep Cherokee with three members of a car-theft ring inside. Flores was shot four times. Neel had two 9mm pistols in his truck, and multiple loaded magazines, which he used to drive the thieves away. Neel was proclaimed by the Harris County Deputy Sheriffs Union to be "Citizen of the Year, 1994."

E "too bad he didn't have a deer rifle" wok

Midway Bilbo

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B.:
Another version, from, of all places, soc.subculture.bondage-bdsm in 1999:

Kathy! I knew I knew you from somewhere!

Midway "whip me, make me say "I saw that munchkin swingin!" Bill

Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember this incident well. I had just gotten assigned to Dyess AFB in Abilene, and it was carried heavily in all the local news sources. Up till the time I was reassigned his name was never mentioned, but the newspaper did carry a picture of the 1911 presentation pistol (silver plated) that the hunter was given. What I remember most clearly is the hunter being quoted as saying he wished he hadn't waited to take out his rifle, that perhaps he could have saved the officer.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 16 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B.:
Versions! We got versions!

Kathy! I bow to your superior Googling abilities!

ULTRA "Salaam, Salaam" GOTHA

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages