snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » Drugs cut with car battery residue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drugs cut with car battery residue
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I work in law enforcement and I heard a drug story about heroin or some
such other. The basis of the myth is "Beware of badly mixed street drugs."
The story that I was told was that some users got a bad batch of street
drugs. I presume it was some form of cocaine or other "white powder
substance".
What happened is that these users got some "white powder" drugs that had
been mixed by the dealers. The dealers had mixed it with the ground up
white powdery residue on car batteries. Allegedly when the first user
absorbed this drug mix the battery powder (alleged to contain accidic
battery chemicals) caused an extremely violent biological reaction. The
result of this was that the man "bled from every pore", went through a
terribly painful death process and died.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why on earth would you cut your drugs with battery acid? Not for cost, surely non-leathal generic white powders are cheap and plentiful. Is there anyone out there who doesn't know that snorting or injecting battery acid would not be very healthy? Why kill your customers? if you are going to sell them product that tainted, why bother putting any coke/heroin in at all? They wont be back as a frequent customer, will they?
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jacek
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One guy once told me he snorted amphetamine which was mixed with ground glass by his dealer (don't ask me where I got such acquaintances) - and it was done purposefully not to cut it, but to "boost" it - ground glass was to cut the blood vessels in the nostrils and consequently more amphetamine would get into the blood stream... when I asked him if it worked, he said he wouldn't know, but it burned like hell anyway... which could be another factor: I heard that some dumber drug users claim "it doesn't burn, it doesn't work".
About battery powder I've never heard, if it causes such a fatal reaction, it's rather improbable. The question is: does it really?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Battery acid 'is' used in the manafacture of methamphetamine but it's very unlikey that it is used to cut cocaine, I mean, how much residue would you have to scrape off to cut a kilo of powder 50/50? Sounds like another false story, like anthrax, strycnine etc...

Straight Dope has this - not specific to battery acid, but nonetheless...

quote:
Truth is, adulterating cocaine with strychnine or arsenic seems to be rare. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration analyzed 2,944 samples of cocaine confiscated in five cities between 1974 and 1980. Adulterants found in at least 5 percent of the samples were reported; strychnine and arsenic didn't make the cut. Here's the stuff that did: lactose (milk sugar), 29 percent of samples; lidocaine (local anesthetic), 29 percent; mannitol, 26 percent; inositol, 10 percent; dextrose, 8 percent. (The last three items are all sugars.)

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the business about OD'ing on Drano? (Heard of in Jim Carroll's "People Who Died") Do dealers really cut stuff with lye crystals or is it some slang term I don't understand?
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lye is also used in making meth. I suppose there could be some left in the final product if they did it wrong.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
defaultcrush
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 101 posted      Profile for defaultcrush   Author's Homepage   E-mail defaultcrush   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
how much residue would you have to scrape off to cut a kilo of powder 50/50?

That was my first reaction as well... followed by the thought of stereotypical drug dealer-type people standing around their car with a butter knife, scraping the top of their batteries. *laugh*

--------------------
Kaylee Frye: Been more'n a year since I had anything twixt my nethers didn't run on batteries!
-Serenity

Posts: 503 | From: Utah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 402 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the sulfate residue on a car battery can chemically burn the skin (but it's technically not "accidic"), but I can't see it causing someone to "bleed from every pore" in a "violent biological reaction".

--------------------
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smilodonna

It's not uncommon for cattle to lick at corroded or broken open car batteries they find in their pastures. The battery innards are supposed to have a mineral/salt taste that is attractive to livestock. They don't die instantly and horribly, although they may get lead intoxication.
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i did read somewhere that lead oxide tasted sweet and you should not sore a car lead acid batteries where a child or animals could get at it
so as to prevent lead poisoning

dav(not that i have licked a car battery)ros\

found a cite
Lead info
quote:
Colorless lead nitrate, Pb(NO3)2 is the most soluble lead compound. Lead acetate, Pb(CH3COO)2 is also soluble. It has a sweet taste, and for this reason is called "sugar of lead." When it was discovered, in Roman times, it was used in certain baked treats, which proved fatal.

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smilodonna

I'll have to show that to my toxicology prof. She told us in class it was salty and would probably be interested to know it has a sweet flavor.
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smilodonna:
I'll have to show that to my toxicology prof. She told us in class it was salty and would probably be interested to know it has a sweet flavor.

this might be a better page
Toxicity: Acute: sweetish metallic taste, burning in mouth, severe thirst, inflammation of the G.I. tract with vomiting and diarrhea. Chronic: anorexia, "lead-line" on gum margin, nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, paralysis, mental confusion, visual disturbances, anemia, convulsions.

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages