snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » Cry Baby Bridge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cry Baby Bridge
schnoz212
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many moons ago I left home for basic training at the tender age of 18. While there I discovered the story of Cry Baby Bridge that I had held as gospel had supposedly also happened in about every other state in the union with many different twists and variants- what's your local version of this story?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadySphinx

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's quite a few Cry Baby Bridges in Alabama. The nearest one to Birmingham is in a definitely spooky patch of woods north of Irondale, AL (most famous for "fried green tomatoes"). The story goes that an old hillbilly woman with many children did not notice that her youngest child was missing until nightfall, when she heard the child's screams from somewhere in the woods. The child had been dragged off by wild dogs, and the mother arrived minutes too late to save it. When she found the body, she picked it up and ran screaming off the edge of the bridge. The story is if you go to the bridge at night, park your car in the middle, and leave an unwrapped candy bar sitting on your bumper, gradually you will hear the child begin to cry. After driving away, the candy bar will have a bitemark in it.

This particular Cry Baby Bridge is a) closed off with a chain, as it is too rickety to support a car, and b) on private property, and, as I've said before, they shoot you for that sort of thing round these-here parts.

Weird footnote: our version of the Vanishing Hitchhiker, locally known as the Ghost of Bayview Bridge, was also supposedly chased by wild dogs until she fell--or leapt--off the side of the bridge.

Lynette "canine control" Brock

Hot Lips

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Southern Maryland where I'm from is usually considered one of the possible orgins of this tale. The bridge in this case is sometimes said to be genuinelly haunted(has appeared in several books)and not just a UL. It is said to be haunted by two ghosts one is a slave girl who was killed there after she murdered her owner, and a young WW2 era girl who with her child was killed when they were struck by a car. The driver was the girls husband. Historical reacords have shown that a slave girl was in fact killed in the area for the murder of her owner, but no reacord of the second story has ever been found.
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our crybaby bridge is supposedly the sight of early 1900s' infanticide where a woman abandoned her child because of unwilingless to support it/have it. Supposedly she waited for it to die from the elements/starvation so that she could make sure no one found it and saved it (which would mean possibly tracking it back to her). During her waiting the babys incessant crying drove her insane.
Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vivling
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Vivling     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What exactly is a crybaby bridge? From what I gather from this thread, it's a bridge haunted by a dead baby ... ?

lil "wah?" orphan

--------------------
Climb up, over the the top
Shake it, take control
You've got to find out for yourself whether or not you're truly trying
--Jason Mraz

Posts: 1686 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Broadway Split

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about baby ghosts, but here in Vermont we have Emily's bridge. As the story goes, Emily was a young woman whose fiancé stood her up at the altar, and she committed suicide either by jumping off the bridge or hanging herself from a beam. Supposedly she haunts the bridge, appearing to unsuspecting drivers and scratching their cars.

I just found this page which gives a few variations of the story.

DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 212 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Broadway Split:
I don't know about baby ghosts, but here in Vermont we have Emily's bridge. As the story goes, Emily was a young woman whose fiancé stood her up at the altar, and she committed suicide either by jumping off the bridge or hanging herself from a beam. Supposedly she haunts the bridge, appearing to unsuspecting drivers and scratching their cars.

I just found this page which gives a few variations of the story.

And here's pictures and more info on the bridge.

DarkDan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Lips:
Historical reacords have shown that a slave girl was in fact killed in the area for the murder of her owner, but no reacord of the second story has ever been found.

Historical records? That you saw or someone told you they saw? Crybaby bridges all over the place in Northwest Ohio. I do have to wonder however- where the idea that bridges are such mysterious/haunted places came from?

im(way too skeptical for all this)ikant

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monitor Lizard ruti

Icon 82 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I had heard of Crybaby Bridge on www.weirdnj.com but when I made a quick check, the only mention of ghosts and bridges was this anecdote from the Clinton Road link.

ETA that Clinton Road link just takes you to the website. Look for the road under the "QuickLinks" search

FireFly

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently formed my own "Ghost Hunters" group. The crybaby bridge was one of our first outings. Here is my report with pictures.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories04/spiinvestigates.html

resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not aware of any suposedly haunted bridges in Washington state. I'm sure we must have one Fellow Washington Snopesters, do you have anything for me on that?
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resEcoffinheadLution:
I'm not aware of any suposedly haunted bridges in Washington state. I'm sure we must have one Fellow Washington Snopesters, do you have anything for me on that?

Here you go - look down by Hanford... they mention a hauted bridge there... I also think there is a story about the one by the old Oly Brewery in tumwater...

Warlok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's one here in south central Oklahoma. As a teenager, I was taken to it by my boyfriend and several other friends. Local legend has it that a car wrecked from the bridge, mother was killed and a child was washed away in the water and never found. Supposedly you can see the ghostly aparition of the mother searching for the child and hear the baby crying.
I didn't hear anything but the beer cans opening!

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Warlock. I knew we had some local legends like that, but couldn't think of any. I hadn't heard of that old train disaster on Stevens pass being ghostily replayed though. It was certainly horrific enough to spur ghost stories!
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Madcat

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Growing up in northern New Mexico, there is a story i know that goes back possibly to the 1700s or earlier called "La Llorona" (translates as The Weeping Woman). It was a story parents used to keep their kids inside after sundown. My family has passed this story down since before even my great-grandparents, as well as many other local families in northern New Mexico. The story, in a nutshell, was that a mother, tired of her children's whining, threw them in the river. She immediately realized what she had done, then ran down the bank after them. She then tripped and hit her head on a stone and was killed instantly. Legend says that at sundown, her spirit walks up and down the banks of the river (Santa Fe River in my case, but any nearby creek or river would be used), weeping and looking for her lost children. If she comes upon an unweary child who happened to stay out too late, she would snatch her/him up, never to be seen again. This story is deep in the spanish culture in NM and likely has roots that branched into much of early American lore.
Madcat

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, here is a version of it:
Click here

Madcat

A further read found some much older accounts of the legend in spanish history as well as some more info on european influence.

La Llorona history

Lulu the Black Mage

Crybaby Bridge Recording?
rinoz

quote:
Originally posted by resEcoffinheadLution:

Bothell, here, and around town, or even in the state, i have no clue of brige hauntings. Although a few years back, I read a book of hauntings in WA/OR, and there might have been some bridge involved.
resELution

quote:
Originally posted by Lulu the Black Mage:
Crybaby Bridge Recording?

It's hard to say. We don't know if it's a ghost or not, it could jsut be someone else talking on the recording.

I think I've seen ghost hunters on TV use a recorder that picks up extra low frequency sounds that humans can't possibly make. Maybe if that was the case, but it's still dubious.

schnoz212

I found a new variant of the "haunted bridge" in my area that is based in historical fact. It's called "bloody bridge" and is on Rt 66 between Spencerville and St.Marys, OH. I can't remember the names of the parties involved, but the Ohio Historical Society has posted a plaque next to the bridge with all of that information and I'll post it when I go for a visit closer to Halloween.
During the 1800's when the Erie canal was still in use, a young woman and one of her suitors met and that bridge late one evening. The woman had another suitor who was a very jealous man who found them there together and in a fit of rage cut off both their heads with an axe and threw them in the river. The man disappeared and was presumed guilty of the crime. Many years later a man's skeleton was found down an old well near by. Many people believed it to be that of the jilted murderer who met his end at the hands of the two ghostly lovers he had killed that night.
There are many legends surrounding that bridge today. One of most the predominant legends states that the bridge and it's several replacements over the years always turn blood red. I can only confirm that the latest bridge is a metal one and that is completely rusted and does have a very red hue to it. There are also some others involving flashing your head lights to make the bridge bleed or to cause ghostly heads to appear in the water- real UL type stuff.

Bookchick of the Novel Clan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bookchick of the Novel Clan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in NC(somewhere west of Charlotte) I know of a story about Sally's Bridge. The story goes that a woman in the 1960's was driving her and her small infant home from a dinner. She stoped to pick up a hitcher on a lonley streach of road, right near a short bridge, (bet you didn't see that coming, huh?) and he draged her and the child out and killed them. He then tossed her over one side of the "just happened to be there" bridge and the baby over the other. The lore is that if you go there at midnight and say "Sally, Sally, I have your baby" she will step in front of your car and try to prevent you from taking the baby. It has something to do with the fact that because they were seperated in death that she still searches. I know of the location of said bridge but have yet to go there. I know that it is a UL, but a good one to tell all the neices I have.

--------------------
"I'm not dumb...your dumb." Junior-Lonestar State of Mind

"It eats you, starting with your bottom." Andrew-BtVS

"Arise chicken, arise!" Billy Witch Doctor.com- AquaTeen Hunger Force

Posts: 138 | From: Gastonia, NC | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages