snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Legit Article?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legit Article?
Goldtoes' New Suede Shoes
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this as a joke years ago. I also get it forwarded to me as a joke on a regular basis (grrrrr). Is this life imitating art, or art imitating life?

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Barbara mentions here, although she doesn't specifically analyze it. Obnoxious Passengers

The earliest version I can find is from San Francisco Chronicle columnist Herb Caen's column of January 30, 1992.
quote:
"We're still trying to check this, but around USAir, staffers are circulating the story of an employee last-named Gay who boarded a USAir flight with a non-revenue ticket. Finding the seat assigned to him occupied by a paying passenger, he slipped into an empty one a couple of rows back. Then, due to a mechanical delay on another flight, the plane began filing up so the gate agent came aboard to get all non-paying passengers off. Stopping at the seat assigned to Mr. Gay, he said to the man, "Are you Gay?" Looking startled, the man nodded, at which the agent said, "Then you'll have to get off." Mr. Gay, hearing this, called out to the agent, "You've got the wrong man -- *I'm* Gay." Whereupon a young man seated across the aisle leaped to his feet and announced, "Hell, I'm gay, too--they can't kick us *all* off!"
It elicited this response on usenet
quote:
This is a true story. A friend of mine is a flight attendant for USAir and when he was in training, one of the flight attendants who was leading the training session was this very same Mr. Gay mentioned in the above story.
Edit--the Ansett version seems to have become popular after it appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald July 1999.

Kathy "raising Caen" B.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only sites that referenced this that I could find were joke sites. One of them gave the reference of "Sydney Morning Herald Monday, June 15, 1999". This won't show up on an SMH site search since they don't keep free archives online for more than one month. Fairfax Publications offers a pay search that encompasses the last 11 years, and will show you if such an article exists for free (though you would have to pay to get the entire test of the article). A search of "Mr.", "gay" "Ansett" and "free" shows no hits (I included "free" because there is actually a Mr. Gay who worked for Ansett Airlines). Talking to Ansett directly would be problematic, since they're in the process of folding even as I type. My guess is that yet another legitimate news source got taken in by a UL.

Ironically, Australia is quite tolerant of homosexuality (do a search on "Gay Mardi Gras" if you want an illustrated example).

buf 'then again, the ocher definition of a homosexual is a bloke who likes women more than beer' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages