snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Upside down stamps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Upside down stamps
OoAngel
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My family has mentioned this little fact around the house for awhile, and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it. I don't know if it is really classified as an urban legend though. Anyway, has anyone heard that putting a stamp upside down on the envelope when you send a letter, means "I love you", or shows some kind of sentiment towards the person you're sending it to? My parents do it all the time when they send letters to relatives and such, and sometimes I just wonder if the people at the post office think we're crazy for not puttin' the stamp on right, or if they understand the hidden message of it.

Kris"return to sender"ten

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bflyalt

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if you send your tax return to the IRS and put the stamp upside down accidentally? And did not notice it?

------------------
Bored Fly

dcmoore

quote:
Originally posted by OoAngel:
My family has mentioned this little fact around the house for awhile, and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it. I don't know if it is really classified as an urban legend though. Anyway, has anyone heard that putting a stamp upside down on the envelope when you send a letter, means "I love you"

For whatever it's worth, I've heard the same thing. I have no idea where it started.

Dave "Not much help" Moore

LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 37 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend in high school who worked it into a poem:

"Your love is away in some far away town,
So you send him a letter with the stamp upsidedown"

I have no idea why she wrote it like that. I'd never heard of the stamp meaning that till you brought it up.

Lizzy "I never said she was a good poet" M

------------------
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
~Catherine Aird

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sam

Just talked by phone to my mother. She was born in 1923, and remembers it meaning "love" from around the 1935-45 period. I personally remember the same from the late 1950's. So I can take it back that far.
Kamin

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why it can't if you and the other person agree that's what it means...like the 'shmily' glurge.

If "Let the phone ring once so I know you got there safe" why not an "I love you upside down stamp?"

"Bob Wehadababyitsaboy"

------------------
Kamin

Groucho

Well, it's certainly much simpler than tying that damn yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree.
WISKEY

I was always told that if you put the stamp anywhere on an envelope than the top Right hand corner was illegal and that to do anything to the stamp itself was treason. I was told this after I drew a moustache on the Queen on a letter to my Grandmother when I was about five.
raistlin

There is a instruction leaflet you can get on how to put the stamp and address on correctly.
The people at my post office, however, seem to like positioning the stamps all over the front of the envelope in a haphazard fashion, often upside down.

raist "no, please don't put it on upside down, its a work letter... " lin.

------------------
“All generalizations are not worth a damn, including this one.” -Mark Twain

mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 09 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that in the book "Snow Falling on Cedars", which is set in WWII, a character sends a breakup letter to her boyfriend, but then, at the last minute puts the stamp on upside down. "In an act of whimsy" or something similar. I never knew what that represented..... Always thought it was a screw you type sentiment.... I guess this would make it more poetic.

------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

quote:
I was always told that if you put the stamp anywhere on an envelope than the top Right hand corner was illegal ...

If you put the stamp in the middle of the top edge (as opposed to the corner) it means you're a stamp collector or think that the recipient might be. The sorting machinery kicks the envelope out and sympathetic post office employees recognize the code and give you a nice neat hand cancellation.

Chava

AmyDoll
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 37 posted      Profile for AmyDoll   E-mail AmyDoll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Placing the stamp upside down - I always thought was a way of saying "Head over Heels"... I always do it on Love letters!

AmyCarin

Posts: 8 | From: VA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
water bottle

I have no idea where I heard this one, but the only thing I'd ever heard was that upside-down stamped envelopes indicated that the sender was in some sort of distress, and needed to convey this fact covertly.
Not a very covert way to do it, in my opinion.

JusticeGriffin22

That is interesting,I have never heard about that before,but I think that it could mean love by putting the stamp upside down.I learn something new everyday.Thanks for posting.

------------------
JusticeGriffin22

Jaime Vargas

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OoAngel:
My family has mentioned this little fact around the house for awhile, and I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of it. I don't know if it is really classified as an urban legend though. Anyway, has anyone heard that putting a stamp upside down on the envelope when you send a letter, means "I love you", or shows some kind of sentiment towards the person you're sending it to?

I knew someone who put all the stamps upside down (I'm talking not the 'special' stamps but the ordinary stamps which carry the face of King Juan Carlos). But it was because she was a Catalanist Republican who despised the Borbon dynasty.

Jaime

BarnRat

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this one in an evil way. I'd met a guy I really, really liked at a drama tournament, so I went about trying to find a way to contact him. At last, I found out what school he went to and sent him a letter in care of the school. He wrote back, and on his letter, the stamp was upside down! I asked my mom if there was any significance to that, and she said, "I think it means love."

I was thrilled! We wrote back and forth a few times, then eventually stopped. Now, my mom is famous for telling people what they want to hear, with no bearing whatever on objective truth, so I had always assumed this stamp thing was an example of one of her lies.

Now, I find out that there is such a story! Oh, sweet, sweet Doug--where are you now?

--Barn "if only I'd realized the depth of his feelings..." Rat

valee

I grew up in the Washington DC area, and updside down stamps was a way to signalling your feelings to someone. Of course, you wouldn't do this with a flag stamp, because an upside down flag is a sign of distress.
Now my stamp fun is limited to getting the self-stick stamps and deciding which creditor will get the one picturing raspberries on their bill payment.

doug_cannon

I always understood that putting a stamp on upside down meant "I love you". I heard (while I was in France) that putting the stamp on side-ways meant the same thing.

I *always* put the stamp on upside-down when sending my taxes to the IRS, or sometimes on my bills, just because I like messing with people. I always wonder if anyone notices.

rossdawg

quote:
Originally posted by water bottle:
I have no idea where I heard this one, but the only thing I'd ever heard was that upside-down stamped envelopes indicated that the sender was in some sort of distress, and needed to convey this fact covertly.
Not a very covert way to do it, in my opinion.

If that is the case, it comes from the tradition of ships, where if you were taken over by pirates or whatever, you hung the flag upside down to alert others who saw your mast. Some say it shows something is amiss, while others say it is a form of rebellion.

American Indians also did this to show their displeasure with American occupation.

ross "fly it high and wide" dawg

becky219

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, my sister puts all her stamps on upside down. It has nothing to do with love, I think she just does it to be different. Besides, they have those stamps that say "LOVE" on them now, so maybe that would be an easier way of getting the point across. Or better yet, just say "I love you" in the text of the letter!

Becky "what'll 34 cents get me?"

RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this legend from my friend when I was mailing a letter to Chad, I don't know if he knew what it meant, but I did...

dark angel baby

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rossdawg

quote:
Originally posted by darkangelbaby:
I heard this legend from my friend when I was mailing a letter to Chad, I don't know if he knew what it meant, but I did...

dark angel baby

But what did Chad say?

Froot Grrl

I have an elderly friend who is blind, but she still chooses to type all her own correspondence on a typewriter (she used to be a paralegal, so she touch-types very well). She uses stamps from a dispenser which is apparently designed for left-handed people. She never realized until my sister mentioned it to her that she was always putting her stamps upside-down.

Froot "Or maybe she loves me" Grrl

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages