snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Chem Trails?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chem Trails?
mrchris
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A coworker pointed out some wild looking contrail-like clouds in the sky this morning and said that they were "Chem Trails."

Supposedly, they are part of a vast government spraying conspiracy. Has anyone heard this one? What is Big Brother spraying us with?

(I work with a lunatic, I fear...)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is your area experiencing a drought? All I can think of is cloud seeding.

For most chemicals to be effective on the ground, the aircraft usually have to fly pretty low like crop dusters or melathyon 'copters. The higher up the more chance the chemicals will be diluted by the atmosphere or blown away from the target.

Lackwit

Good ole Cecil recently fielded this one. It's the basis of www.contrailconnection.com . I'd say these folks are a little off.

Lackwit

Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your coworker must be an Art Bell fan.

First off "chemtrails" look like contrails because they are contrails. Contrail is from condensation trail. A good article on them can be found here http://asd-www.larc.nasa.gov/SCOOL/contrails.html

Now, conspiricy theorists insiste that the US gov't is sparying citizens with chemicals/viruses surepticiously. That's right, the United States Government. The same government who couldn't hide a blow-job in the oval office. The same government who have continually failed to keep their nuclear secrets a secret. The same government unable to keep a few microphones in a hotel secret. The same government who couldn't even succesfully sell arms to a third world nation without getting in deep nfbsk! (end rant)(

The first point I want to make is that the contrails are very high up. Usually they occur behind aircraft with a flight level in excess of 30,000 feet. This is a very ineffective altitude to spary *anything* at because: 1) If it is a liquid, it will become vaperous at the speed they are traveling. The liquid will then follow whatever whims the weather has in store for it, but typically it would get locked into the prevailing winds at that altitude and (if it comes down at all) would come down in the atlantic. 2) If it is a solid, the dispersion would be nearly impossible to controll.

Other points. The 'Highflyers" making the contrails are actually fairly easy to identify. Buy a scanner and tune in to the local air traffic controll frequency. You can essentially play a game "plane spotting". In almost every case, you'll find that the "chemtrails" are comming from regular passanger flights.

You're more likely to see contrails when it is fairly warm out (i.e. you're sitting in the effects of an upper ridge). This, at the least, suggests that the trails are weather dependant.

Finally, clouds are not in any way solid. They wouldn't effect anything you're trying to drop or spray. If it made it down that far, it would fall through the cloud. Given that, and given that the millitary is sometimes smart... Wouldn't you think it would be logical to, if you are trying to be secretive about things, spray your chemicals when there is a blanket of low cloud that would prevent people from noticing?

Chemtrails are contrails. Contrails are condensation trails. They are, essentially, vapour comming off the engine and turning to small ice crystals which hang in the air. Basically, they're clouds.

Jon Up North

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but if the airlines aren't filling their fuel tanks with poisons, what else would they be filling them with, hmmmm? The gubmint would have us believe that those fuel tanks are filled with, you guessed it, jet fuel. They think we're so gullible.
Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tomc

The Professional Pilots' message board did this one a few months ago. With much laughter and derision. Apparently there is a chemtrails web site -- and it bans anyone who posts on the pilots' board.

Tom "plane truth" Carten

------------------
There's aways one more imbecile than you expected.

skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 22 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi everybody! I'm new here. My brother in law believes Art Bell is the last word on everything. He absolutely believes the government is spraying us with some mind control substance from plane contrails!! He was NFBSKing bricks when they were up here last February. We live about 60 or so miles from Colorado Springs and get a lot of jets from Fort Carson over our valley. You can't convince people that believe stuff like this that it's not true. We just gave up and smiled everytime he said something like that!
Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages