snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » The Voiceover Guy in movie trailers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Voiceover Guy in movie trailers
Askia K. Hale
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody knows who he is? He's the one who's in all the trailers that seem to begin with the words, "In a world.... blah blah blah... one man... blah blah blah." He seems to be a major voiceover talent but I haven't had any luck finding out his name or any biographical info.

Who makes trailers? I used to think the studios did them (and often give away the whole plot) but then I've heard some directors make them, too.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sam

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
deja vu

Didn't this get covered somewhere in the last few weeks? Of course, with the search engine down, it is rather hard to prove.

OOPS!

I read it over at the neighbor's house CLICK HERE

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 08-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 08-20-2000).]

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm... There was a commercial a while back, I think it was for Blockbuster or some other video store, where they have someone come up to the counter and ask about a movie ("Scream" maybe), and the employee like knocks on the counter or something, and a guy pops out from underneath and gives the synopsis of the movie. I wonder if that's the same guy?

Xia

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Askia K. Hale:
Anybody knows who he is? He's the one who's in all the trailers that seem to begin with the words, "In a world.... blah blah blah...

Oh, man, that reminds me of this really funny/weird radio commercial for Blue Man Group. It starts by saying:
In a world of previews and advertisements.
In a world of hype and promotional gobbledygook.

But you gotta hear it for yourself... It kinda sounds like that movie guy. You can hear it here (This link goes DIRECTLY to the audio clip):
http://www.blueman.com/real_rams/jibberish.ram

Xia

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The man is named Don La Fontane aka "The Voice" aka "GOD" he does all kinds of voice overs. Anything from movie trailers to commericals. He demands a lot and surprisingly the studios pay it..but it is all because his voice has that deep, gravely tone to it that most people remember.

------------------
"My other seige engine is a Ford"

Leisure Kid

Yea, I always wonder who those guys are...

There's several of them. The major networks have their deep, scratchy voiceover men too. I also saw a Jerry Springer episode where they focused on the guy who does the announcements and voiceovers for the show. He also does Jenny Jones and I hear him on some other shows too. But I think I know who you are talking about. It seems to be just one guy who announces all the movies. Maybe he is associated with MPAA or something?

Leisure "Deep Throat" Kid

arnold wanker

Because sometimes . . .
Jeremy

Why do they choose him? Because he's "The Movie Trailer Guy". Pure and simple. If he wasn't, this thread wouldn't even be here. LOL

It's force of habit. When you have a trailer, you call Don.

I have 25 voice talents in my audio production company pool, I personally think that most of them are better than Don. Maybe not as deep or as gravely, but better nonetheless. But would any of my voice talents ever land a movie trailer job? No chance.

There's a voice for every project. Right now I'm working on a Flash presentation for a collector's website... Don wouldn't work AT ALL for this presentation... we're using a 30-ish female voice. And the client loves her voice. Well, that, and she only charges a couple hundred $$. LOL

Oh, and by the way, the webpage at http://dmoz.org/Arts/Animation/Voice_Actors/L/LaFontaine,_Don/desc.html is WAYYY off. He earns more like $10million. Think about it, it says 80 sessions per week, that's 4000 sessions per year. At $1 million, that's only $250 per session... which is about 1/2 of Union scale. Most of his trailers are about $10,000 and up. He won't even take your call unless you have at least $5000. And he only does a few sessions per week. Plus he OWNS the limo and the driver is on salary. Just to clarify.

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 16 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trailers are becoming a cliffs note of the motion picture world. They pretty much show all of the funny or action scenes in them, in order to pack the moviegoers into the theater. Plus the fact that so many of them all share the same trailer music. When I think of the great movie trailers of all time, I think of movies like 'Batman,' 'Dracula,' or 'Pulp Fiction.' 'Batman,' especially. The way they teased you with small clips was great, it left you wanting more.
Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages