snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Milk in opaque containers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Milk in opaque containers?
jareth
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe someone can give me the answer to this one: is there any benefit to keeping a gallon of milk in an opaque container as opposed to the more common translucent containers? A friend of mine, who always purchases the opaque containers, claims that it doesn't spoil as fast, and that being exposed to the refrigerator light somehow affects the nutrients and vitamins inside the milk. Anyone know the truth?

------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forego their use."
--Galileo

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ewok
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Ewok   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vaguely recall something about that, but it doesn't make any difference when it gets to your refrigerator, because the light goes out when you close the door.

Also check out Effect of Light on Milk

------------------
Support the US Olympic Shooting Team!

Posts: 1 | From: Los Gatos, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bryan

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the idea with beer in brown bottles. Although you don't really need to worry about light at home since "the fridge light goes out", I would guess the bigger concern would be the several days the milk sits on the store shelf.
WHATEVER

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A gallon of milk lasts about 3 days at my house. I'm not too worried about it.

WHAT"Got milk?"EVER

bryan

quote:
Originally posted by WHATEVER:

WHAT"Got milk?"EVER

Translates to:
WHAT"Are you lactating?"EVER

bryan

[This message has been edited by bryan (edited 08-16-2000).]

Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about any provable benefits, but I think milk tastes better out of cartons than out of glass or plastic bottles. Or those little bags they had at my high school....
Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Norlin

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ewok:
...it doesn't make any difference when it gets to your refrigerator, because the light goes out when you close the door.

How do you know ?. I bet the refrigerator people has ganged up with the electricity people and the light stays on forever !

blue_jeans

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Norlin:
How do you know ?. I bet the refrigerator people has ganged up with the electricity people and the light stays on forever !

Be right back... I'm going to check...
The light stays on until I open up my refridgerator door around an inch.

Blue "So does that mean the electrical company is not the merciless moster my mother claims to be?" Jeans

BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ewok:
...the light goes out when you close the door...

Actually, the light exists in a metastate; it is both on and off until Schrodinger's cat triggers the decay of an elemental particle by feeding Heisenberg some spoilt mayonnaise.

Bob "/sequiter" K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynestria
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
now I'm going to have to figure that one out... and spend about an hour trying to catch my fridge light off...
Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spicymos

Wow, seeing is believing! Last night, I put my camcorder in the refridgerator, shut the door and this is what happened. The light went off for about 5 seconds and then promptly turned back on. A few minutes later the food started mingling and a party soon ensued. You guys should try it sometime. I'm considering selling the tape to REAL TV.
Lulu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lulu   E-mail Lulu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Going off on a tangent (because everyone else is), my brother in law prefers Coke from a can than from a bottle, as he says, "Light hasn't touched it".

Thankfully, I am only related to him by marriage.

Lulu

Posts: 2153 | From: Northern NSW, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spicymos

That's odd, Lulu. I once read in a book that most people prefer the taste of Coke, and other sodas, from a glass 8 oz. bottle over that of a can or plastic bottle. I forget what the reasoning was, but maybe it has to do with the aluminum adding a a tiny difference to the taste. It's all very interesting.
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 22 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spicymos:
That's odd, Lulu. I once read in a book that most people prefer the taste of Coke, and other sodas, from a glass 8 oz. bottle over that of a can or plastic bottle. I forget what the reasoning was, but maybe it has to do with the aluminum adding a a tiny difference to the taste. It's all very interesting.

Yeah... look at the sodium content on the different containers. It might be enough to make a taste difference. I prefer Diet Coke in glass, but hard to find. Notice that a lot of products in glass containers DON'T have expiration dates, but EVERYTHING in plastic DOES! I think it has to do with outgassing from the plastics... I hate to think of what we're getting from that.

Ham "well preserved" bubba

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jareth

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to prefer the soda in cans over plastic bottles... the only reason I can think of why this might be, is that perhaps the can keeps the soda cool for longer...

I haven't had soda in bottles often enough to compare it to cans...

Another friend of mine insists that Dr. Pepper bottled in his home state of Texas tastes better than the Florida variety becaus e it's made with sugar instead of corn syrup... can anyone confirm this?

------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forego their use."
--Galileo

Lulu

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lulu   E-mail Lulu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although my brother-in-law is a freak I personally prefer coke from a glass bottle, although it's getting harder and harder to get them in glass now. In Oz, they only sell Coke in glass bottles in 300ml. Every other size (390ml, 600ml, 1.25l, 2l & 3l) are in plastic. I tend to prefer the glass because it seems to be colder than plastic. Is it to do with the thickness and insulating qualities? I dunno.

Lulu(can you tell that I am a coke-addict?)

------------------
Laugh alone, and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Posts: 2153 | From: Northern NSW, Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mortimer Brewster

quote:
Originally posted by jareth:
I tend to prefer the soda in cans over plastic bottles... the only reason I can think of why this might be, is that perhaps the can keeps the soda cool for longer...

I haven't had soda in bottles often enough to compare it to cans...

Another friend of mine insists that Dr. Pepper bottled in his home state of Texas tastes better than the Florida variety becaus e it's made with sugar instead of corn syrup... can anyone confirm this?

Generally, no. The Dr. Pepper bottled in Texas is no different from the Dr. Pepper bottled elsewhere..... except you can get Dr. Pepper made with sugar at the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco and perhaps in some other nearby places.

Fastjack

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In California they have a special dairy around here that bottles milk the old fashioned way in actual glass bottles.

I am telling you now, anyone who thinks milk from the jug is good has never had ice cold (and I mean COLD) milk and Oreos.

It's heaven on earth in a glass bottle

jareth

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mortimer Brewster:
Generally, no. The Dr. Pepper bottled in Texas is no different from the Dr. Pepper bottled elsewhere..... except you can get Dr. Pepper made with sugar at the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco and perhaps in some other nearby places.

Aha, that's what he's talking about... he's moving to a spot very near Waco...

This brings to me the question: if they never use sugar to make Dr. Pepper (and perhaps other sodas) anymore, why do they still list "sugar or corn syrup" on the ingredients? To torment drinkers who think they might eventually find that mystical can made with sugar?

------------------
--Galileo

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages