snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Thomas Edison electrocuted an elephant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thomas Edison electrocuted an elephant
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This just appeared today in Marilyn Vos Savant's column in Parade magazine today. Anyone know for sure if Marilyn is correct?

quote:
Did Thomas Edison really electrocute an elephant to demonstrate the power ot electricity?

—Julian Hammer, Carteret, N.J.

After reading your letter, I was amazed to learn that this is true--almost. At Coney Island in 1903, an elephant named Topsy was scheduled to die because she had killed three men during the time she had been employed helping to build Luna Park, where she was later on display roaming freely. The last man killed was a drunken spectator who is believed to have fed her a lit cigarette. Park officials attempted to poison her with cyanide carrots but failed; banging was considered before the ASPCA mercifully intervened.

Enter Thomas Edison, who had been vying for business with George Westinghouse. Edison maintained that his direct current (DC) was safer than his competition's alternating current (AC), and he had been routinely electrocuting dogs and cats with AC in public in order to convince people. So Edison took advantage of this dubious public-relations opportunity and killed Topsy with alternating current while capturing the event on film, which he later replayed for audiences everywhere. So Edison wasn't just demonstrating the power of electricity; he was showing the danger of it.

bird "Topsy turvy" man

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sam
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can find nothing that refutes the story. I can only find sites that reinforce it. And, I just found a site with purported film of the elephant being "fried." I will post it with the caveat that it isn't gruesome, but, if you don't want to see an elephant fall over with smoke coming out of its feet, just don't click on the link.
http://www.theelectricchair.com/elephant.htm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack

From what I have heard this legend is true. The story I heard had the part about the cigarette, but als adds a bit more to the story, this is how I heard it. When Thomas Edison was devising a way to execute a man in an unpainful way he thought that electicity would work. So he came up with the idea of the electic chair but needed to test it, so he paid local children to catch stray animals and give them to him so that he could see how much electricity it would take to kill the animals (usually cats and dogs). After a while stray animal supplies ran out so the money hungry children would kidnap peoples' pets. Edison, knowng that it would take a larger amount of electricity to kill a man, needed a bigger test subject. It was about this time that an elephant killed a man who had been feeding it hay. It was later found out that this man was cruel to the elephant and had fed it a cigarette with it's hay, causing the poor animal to go crazy and trample the man. Despite this the elephant was given to Edison to be electricuted. It took 20 minutes to kill the poor animal and the entire thing was filmed on a silent movie camera. The film still exists today.

I do believe this story to be fact, I remember seing a picture or "still" from the film.

Jack

Autolycus

quote:
I saw a peanut stand,
heard a rubber band,
I saw a needle that winked its eye.
But I think I will have seen everything
When I see an elephant fry.

I saw a front porch swing,
heard a diamond ring,
I saw a polka-dot railroad tie.
But I think I will have seen everything
when I see an elephant fry.

I seen a clothes horse he r'ar up and buck
And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck
I didn't see that I only heard
But just to be sociable I'll take your word

I heard a fireside chat
I saw a baseball bat
And I just laughed till I thought I'd die
But I'd been done seen about everything when I see an elephant fry.

Auto"we didn't have a [misquote] option"lycus

------------------
If the puppet head were only busted in, it would be a better thing for everyone involved, and we wouldn't have to cry.

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Auto, you are a sick, sick man.

Jenn "I like it!"

------------------
Animatronic monkeys can lick, too.
--Todd Neal

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sam

quote:
It was later found out that this man was cruel to the elephant and had fed it a cigarette with it's hay, causing the poor animal to go crazy and trample the man.

* The earliest known reference to:

"smoking can be bad for your health"

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Marilyn is Wrong! site is devoted to debunking her asserttions, but doesn't seem ot have been updated lately.
Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mina

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sam:
And, I just found a site with purported film of the elephant being "fried." I will post it with the caveat that it isn't gruesome, but, if you don't want to see an elephant fall over with smoke coming out of its feet

I believe I saw this bit of footage while watching "Closure", a collection of Nine Inch Nails videos. The put it as a filler in between two videos. Not to say if it is true or not, just that I have seen something like this.

Steve in the F Clef

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the footage on a PBS documentary about, of all things, Coney Island. I don't remember Edison being mentioned, but everything else about Marilyn's story is the same as it was stated on the documentary. Unless the documentary film maker and Marilyn were fooled by the same spurious source, this suggests to me that the story is real.

The footage looks genuinely old. I suppose that modern film technology could create a fake "old" film, but they would have to fake its provenance as well. I don't think that it could be a 1903-vintage fake, because it does not look at all like "rubber dinosaur" work -- and 1903 is probably too early even for that technique.

Steve "why do you want to borrow my elephant??" in F

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages