snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Breath Assure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breath Assure
stellar
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 08 posted      Profile for stellar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m sure most of you have probably heard of “Breath Assure.” It’s a product that claims to be more effective than mints or gum at curing bad breath. The difference is that these are capsules that are swallowed.

I have an ongoing argument with several friends of mine that use these and swear by their effectiveness. I seems to me, according to my admittedly limited knowledge of anatomy that these can’t work. Your breath comes from your lungs, not your stomach. And, unless you’re eating or burping, the passage from your stomach to your mouth is closed off. So, it seems logical to me that any product that you swallow will have no effect on your breath.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I guess this isn’t actually an urban legend, but it’s something that I’ve wondered about for awhile.

Posts: | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 03 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/News/breathasure.html

quote:

BreathAsure Claims Halted By Federal Court

The Warner-Lambert Company, which manufactures Certs breath mints, Clorets mints and gum, Dentyne gum, and Listerine antiseptic mouthwash, has obtained a federal court order to stop BreathAsure Inc., of Calabasas, California, from continuing to claim or imply that its internal breath freshener products, BreathAsure and BreathAsure-D, get rid of bad breath for hours and give users clean, fresh breath, even after they consume onions, garlic, or other foods containing aromatic substances. Claims of this type have been made on product labels, in radio, television, and magazine ads, and on the Internet. Since 1994, the Council of Better Business Bureau's National Advertising Division has investigated twice and concluded that such claims were unsubstantiated.

The active ingredients in BreathAsure are said to be parsley seed and sunflower oils. BreathAsure-D, also said to aid digestion, contains these ingredients plus ginger, chamomile, and true licorice. Warner-Lambert's suit charged that taking BreathAsure capsules with water is no more effective in fighting bad breath than drinking water alone.

The federal court order, dated November 19, 1998, permanently prohibits BreathAsure, Inc., from claiming, either directly or by implication, in any advertising or promotion or promotional context with respect to BreathAsure, BreathAsure D, or any other "internal breath freshener" that:

It works.
It provides users with clean breath.
It lasts and lasts on the toughest offenders: Pizza, garlic, onions, spicy foods, coffee and more.
It cleans bad breath for hours.
It usually lasts four to six hours or until the next time you eat something that might produce bad breath.
It gives you clean fresh breath for hours from the inside out.
It will help stop morning breath as well as bad breath caused by garlic, onions, pizza, coffee and other foods.
It is an "internal breath freshener."
It is guaranteed to give you clean fresh breath for hours.
It works with the digestive system, often the cause of offensive breath.
It is "America's number one selling breath freshener."
It lasts for hours.
Guaranteed to give clean fresh breath for hours.
Swallow with liquid after eating or any time you want the confidence of fresh breath.
It will stop bad breath caused by the foods you eat.
Use it any time you want clean breath.
It works from the inside out.
It cleans your breath naturally from the inside out.
It took a team of researchers five years to develop this unique secret formulation and blending process.
It is a breath freshener.
It is designed to fight bad breath caused by foods.

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[edit--dang, Todd, I never thought to check Qauckwatch!]

Bad breath has a number of causes--most of them are in your mouth, not your lungs. One cause is the food you eat. Some foods, such as garlic, produce chemicals that get into your bloodstream and can be transferred to your breath when you exhale.

But for the most part, bad breath starts in your mouth. Your mouth is full of bacteria that can transform food particle into an array of odors. Plaque--that sticky stuff on your teeth that your are supposed to be getting rid of by flossing--is one place where odors can arise. If you develop flull blown gum disease, that can result in bad breath.

Certain drugs or breathing with your mouth (las when yo have a cold) can cause your mouth to get dry. This encourages certain bacteria to get going. Bad breath can also be a symptom of certain serious diseases. And I don't need to tell you about smoking and smokers' breath.

For most people, bad breath is transient--a good brushing & flossing will take care of it. Breath freseners act by maksing the smell and maybe throwing in a little alcohol to go at the bacteria. Chewing gum or swishing mouthwash will help wash away some of the goop. Some mouthwashes have anti-bacterial aciton. These are the ingredients in Breath Assure:

Sunflower oil soya lecithin
Kosher gelatin ginger root extract
Glycerin natural colors.
Beeswax
Chamomile extract
Parsley seed oil
Licorice root extract

The only action I can see from these is to neutralize some food chemicals that might otherwise get into the blood stream. I don't see any of this doing anything to bacteria in your mouth, and, infact, the product claims ot only take care of bad breath due to digestive problems.

Kathy "look ma!" B.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Mike Quear, US Congressional staffer

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 07-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Kathy B (edited 07-27-2000).]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slycat
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I am not even going to pretend I am a doctor, but this is what I read in A Year of Healthy Hints: 365 Practical Ways to Feel Better and Live Longer by Don Powell, PhD and the American Institute of Preventive Medicine.

“Knowing what your bad breath smells like is a good clue to its cause-and the first step toward getting rid of it. A sweet, fruity odor can indicate undiagnosed diabetes, for example. An ammonia-like scent may signal kidney failure. Fishy-smelling breath is common in people with liver failure. Mouth sores, the flu, and illnesses like lung infections can also result in bad breath.

“Diet, of course, is a far more common and less serious cause of bad breath. Garlic and onions have bad reputations, and rightly so: Pungent foods contain volatile oils that eventually reach the lungs (and the air you exhale) via the bloodstream. But few people realize that a high-protein diet can induce bad breath, too.”

This book is copyrighted in 1990, and it is possible that more understanding of halitosis is available now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages