snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Clam chowder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clam chowder
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching that ubiquitous game show this evening and one of the questions had to do with the color of Manhattan clam chowder. My immediate response was you can't put tomatoes in clam chowder in Massachusetts. And light and buzzers went off on my head. Is that a UL or a real law? Is there really actual law about putting tomatoes in clam chowder?

Sara "food again" A

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2-26

I'll look into this ...

I do know that until a few years ago there was a law against putting tomatoes in *baked beans* in Massachusetts. This was in the news for a few days when a national firm began distributing baked beans in Massachusetts at a lower price than the leading regional firm. The regional firm noted that one of the flavors of the other firm's beans (the vegetarian flavor) had tomatoes and called attention to the obscure state law. The law was changed soon thereafter.

I'll provide a reference for that and look into the chowder question.

Thanks.

Bill

Posts: | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2006  | Report this post to a moderator
Bill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2-26

There is no law against putting tomatoes in clam chowder in Massachusetts, according to the Boston Globe (8-15-92). There may have been such a law in the past but this may be just another UL.

Illegal, no; but New Englanders (except in Rhode Island) would be displeased to buy or order "clam chowder" and not get the cream-based kind. Where the "Manhattan" or "New York" style is sold it is labeled as such.

In 1939 Maine introduced legislation to ban tomatoes from clam chowder, but it did not pass. Florence Fabrikant, Fair of the Country, New York Times, May 18, 1986, sec. 10, p.8.

If you're interested, one of many articles on the Massachusetts baked bean controversy: Baked Beans Fight Boiling, Chicago Tribune, July 15, 1993, Food section, p. 3.

Thanks.

Bill

Posts: | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2006  | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Bill. I had forgotten the great baked bean debate. At the time, it never occurred to me to me that there was a problem with tomatoes and beans.

Sara

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a moderator
tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is no law against putting tomatoes in clam chowder in Massachusetts

Illegal, no; but New Englanders (except in Rhode Island) would be displeased to buy or order "clam chowder" and not get the cream-based kind.

Being from MA, I can assure you that you can[/d] buy Manhattan clam chowder here, but no respectable person [b]would.

t "chowdah! [b]chowdahhh! CHOWDAHHHHHHH![b/]" dn

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do know that until a few years ago there was a law against putting tomatoes in *baked beans* in Massachusetts

So what is in American baked beans? In Britain, baked beans are practically defined as being beans in tomato sauce. I suppose I'm taking it on trust that the tomato sauce actually has tomatoes in it, though...

Richard "You say tomato, I say... phew - who farted?" W

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

From the Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking, Vol. 1page 47.

Boston Baked Beans

2 cups dried pea beans
6 cups water
¼ pound lean salt pork
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup light molasses
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon sugar

Sara "someone must tell me how to underline" A

Ewok

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ewok   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope this works [u]someone must tell me how to underline[/u] If it worked, it's [ u ]stuff you want underlined[ /u ] except without the spaces in the brackets.
Posts: 1 | From: Los Gatos, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  | Report this post to a moderator
Ewok

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ewok   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bummers, it didn't work, maybe it's like this, with angle brackets.
Posts: 1 | From: Los Gatos, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

thanks
Crazy Dave
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But don't you be doin' da UBB wit da HTML now.
 | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
I was watching that ubiquitous game show this evening and one of the questions had to do with the color of Manhattan clam chowder. My immediate response was you can't put tomatoes in clam chowder in Massachusetts. And light and buzzers went off on my head. Is that a UL or a real law? Is there really actual law about putting tomatoes in clam chowder?

Sara "food again" A

Old thread, but it reminded me that in my home town of Gainesville ("Poultry Capital of the World"), Georgia, there was a city ordinance back in the late fifties/early sixties that proclaimed it illegal to eat fried chicken with the aid of any utensils (you pick it up in your fingers, that's how). When the first Kentucky Fried Chicken in town opened, the venerable Col. Sanders himself came to town, ate some chicken with a plastic fork, and was arrested. Being an impressionable child, I thought our local cops had actually lost their minds and put a famous person in jail, not realizing the whole thing was a publicity stunt.

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages