snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Humor Archive » air guitar sold on ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: air guitar sold on ebay
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 99 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Feel free to chow me, or to move this to a more appropriate location!

This just goes to show you that ANYONE can make money on ebay! Be sure to read the description - it's classic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3716461982

Jen

Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard for Sale
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I particularly like this part:

quote:
Winning bidder pays no shipping as it can be compacted into a single envelope. (guitar case not included)
A bit off topic, but when I was a kid I thought the air guitar was a real instrument, sounding similar to an electric guitar.

Blue "But then again, I was an idiot" Wizard

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope this is a joke since you can only sell a physical object on ebay. Same idea as selling your soul - not possible becasue a soul isnt a physical object.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASnow   E-mail PASnow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man you are one pathetic nerd!!!
Posts: 75 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's the "LMAO @ that guy" smiley? [Smile]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PASnow:
Man you are one pathetic nerd!!!

I didnt have a chance to read the OP's link yet, but really that doesnt warrent that insult. Im shocked...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I HOPE PASnow was referring to the ebay seller as "one pathetic nerd", and not me for posting it!!! hahahahahahaha

Jen

Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASnow   E-mail PASnow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was actually referring to the "you can only sell a physical object on ebay. Same idea as selling your soul - not possible becasue a soul isnt a physical object. " quote
Posts: 75 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I'm bowing out of this one! It's now just between PASnow and diddy.

Pardon me while I go play my air guitar.

Frenchy

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PASnow, we're here to 'debunk' possible misleading information and other UL by giving instead plausible corrections and what is actually true.
Why would diddy be a nerd for just doing that? [Confused]

[Frown] [Roll Eyes]

PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

I think that question answered itself...
diddy

I know that people try and have fun on ebay by posting really stupid stuff or things that can violate to TOS by selling "nothing". Technically the guy is sending something - an envelope with an "air guitar" so he isnt vioating anything. Its a real bid though ebay may choose to shut it down becasue it cant be defined as a physical object. Its an abstract representation of the human imagination.

I hope that the bidder is having fun with a friend to bid on nothing.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

stephen

Sold for just over $9
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. I'd have paid 10 to be part of that joke :-D

'Tienne

Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone give me a cite for the no selling nothing, or physical objects only rule at eBay?

Seems to me listings for non-physical items are fairly common. After all, eBay has catagories for domain names, "information pruducts", memberships, and likely some others.

Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the prohibited and restricted items list:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

Don't see anything about selling "non-physical" items. Pretty much the only other way this listing could be a TOS viloation if it was misleading, which it was not. The description is quite clear.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

Wow, there's really nothing I can think of that ISN'T covered by that list. Except perhaps tiny porcelaine statues of clowns, which I assume make up 90% of their business.

--- G.

PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Strange list, Why can't you sell some of those things. Such as batteries, or plants??

Drug items, haha, you can find tons of bowls, bongs & Huka pipes

DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Strange list, Why can't you sell some of those things. Such as batteries, or plants??

Drug items, haha, you can find tons of bowls, bongs & Huka pipes

Batteries: Federal law regulates the sale of batteries containing mercury, and pursuant to that law, eBay does not allow the sale of these types of batteries.

Plants:
Some federal, state, and local laws prohibit the sale of certain types of plants or seeds that are considered "exotic" or "noxious" weeds. The United States Department of Agriculture prohibits the importation and interstate movement of federally defined noxious weeds and seeds. Besides reviewing the list of prohibited noxious weeds and seeds, buyers and sellers of plants or seeds should also review the state-by-state list of regulated noxious weeds, and consult with state and local authorities to determine whether the items they are considering buying or selling are legal in their state.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

Heck, they have even sold poppies to be used to make morphine tea.

--- G.

diddy

quote:
Originally posted by austxkev:
Here's the prohibited and restricted items list:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

Don't see anything about selling "non-physical" items. Pretty much the only other way this listing could be a TOS viloation if it was misleading, which it was not. The description is quite clear.

i think he gets away with it becasue said air guitar is actulally shipped in an envelope - albiet an empty one.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

John Dope slithering under a rock

quote:
I was actually referring to the "you can only sell a physical object on ebay. Same idea as selling your soul - not possible becasue a soul isnt a physical object. " quote

And that calls for a insult? If you've got nothing better to do than to call other forum members "pathetic nerds" because they show knowledge of a subject, I suggest that you either scram or manner up.
Or like Dilbert said it: "You're mighty brave in cyberspace, flameboy"

the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
so, did it sell already? I was looking for something to go with my air banjo...

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

quote:
Originally posted by John Dope slithering under a rock:
quote:

And that calls for a insult? If you've got nothing better to do than to call other forum members "pathetic nerds" because they show knowledge of a subject, I suggest that you either scram or manner up.

Thank you John, I appreciate you backing me up.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Dope slithering under a rock:
quote:

Not only that, how does the knowledge that the soul is not a physical object make someone a pathetic nerd? That's not exactly the type of obscure knowledge nerds are known for.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages