snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Humor Archive » Dept. of Unfortunate Names (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dept. of Unfortunate Names
MS
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching "Cinderella" the other night on TV, and one of the editors or something like that on the credits was, not kidding, Willam Peed. Well, congratulations!! [Laughing out loud]
(-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adam D.

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to high school with a Peter Funk, a Lester (Les) Moore and a Candi Cain.

In junior high, my girlfriends name was Marie Webb, her mothers name was Charlote.
[edited to add] also in Jr. High a friend of mine had a sister named Easter-Day J****
[edited to add] My sisters boyfriend in highschool wanted to be a plastic surgeon. His last name was Scarr. "Dr.Scarr, please report to surgery...Dr. Scarr"

My ex works in the local State Wellfare Office and she told me of the name Marijuana Weeding (a woman) whos' paperwork crossed her desk.

Adam (still looking for a Mark Down or a Justin Case) Dorle'

dagwood
Deck the Malls

Icon 16 posted      Profile for dagwood   E-mail dagwood   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I work I deal alot with dentist names. One that makes me laugh is Peter Swallow.

I also used to work with a Korean man whose name is Hung.

Dag "couldn't bring myself to ask him though " wood

edited to add:

I just thought of a couple of more:

A dentist named Dr Kevorkian. (scary thought)

A friend of mine in school's last name was Balls. And, no, her dad wasn't named Harry.

A lady I work with knows a man whose name is Mike Hunter. His wife goes by BJ. When she told us this we all busted a gut. She didn't get it. When we told her, she just told us we were sick. I thought it was funny.

Posts: 375 | From: Somewhere on Planet Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueRose

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a cashier at the Wal-Mart where I work whose name tag read "Princess". I don't know if that was her real name or if she was going by a nickname (which would still be pretty pathetic.)

I also did a christening cake for a baby named Cheyenne Autumn. Her last name was Raynes.

Blue "why do parents DO that?" Rose

Billy Rubin

My first apartment, I had a downstairs neighbor who named her daughter LaSonia. Pronounced "Lasagna". Last name, Pan.

Billy"Yes, I know about bilirubin"Rubin

Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who works for the company that adminsters Medicaid for Wyoming. She was telling me the other day that she got a letter from an adminstarator for a nursing home names Gay Looker.

My personal weird name story is from when I was in college and worked at the library. One of the people I set an account up for was Random Smith. He usually went by R. Smith, but had a good sense of humor about it.

Noemi

(edited to add: My sister had a friend in junior high school named Botswana.)

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These names came up in another thread a couple of days ago - one's I had forgotten about when I originally posted to this thread, so I'll add them now.

I went to high school with a girl, whose first, and middle names were Rainy Island. Her brother's name was Treasure, although I can't remember what *his* middle name was.......they should have been one of those families who gave all their kids the same middle name.

Edit to add: While this doesn't qualify as a "funny" name, exactly - I do think it qualifies as "unfortunate". There was a girl that I went to Jr. High School with, whose parents desperately wanted a boy, but ended up with her, instead. They didn't let that stop them in naming her, however. Her name? Keith.

Dizzy "I know that there are more....*scratching chin*..." Lizard

Call me Ny, with sporks and knives

I was watching the movie Bones the other day and it said the directors name was Heller Hiwater...

I also am in band with kids named Anita Cock (flute), Fi La (trumpet), and Phuk Yu (trumpet).

I was also hit by a van last year, and before then, my name (Brittany Basch-with the C silent)hadn't been a big deal, but after that...i never heard the end of it...

~Call m Ny "Basched by a van" with sporks & knives~

*quick edit* one of my favorite movies is Girl, Interrupted, but does anyone else think Wynona Ryder sounds alot like "Why-dont-ya Ride-'er" or something else like that?

Call me Ny, with sporks and knives

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRose:
There was a cashier at the Wal-Mart where I work whose name tag read "Princess". I don't know if that was her real name or if she was going by a nickname (which would still be pretty pathetic.)

I took a government class last year with a girl named Princess ...she was a very stuck-up snotty NFBSK sucker....

~Call me Ny "Is gonna name her kid Jasmine someday... " With sporks & knives~

Hairyfairy

quote:
Where I work I deal alot with dentist names. One that makes me laugh is Peter Swallow

Just remembered, my dentist is Dr Smylie!!

Eowyn's Gold Toes

Heh, I used to work in my college's alumni records department... there were some funny names, like:

"Anita Kuntz-Cox" (yes, she hyphenated that when getting married)

and

"Rebecca Manson" (who had eight sons)

There were so many that made me laugh, and I can't remember ANY of them right now... durnit!

BlueRose

This thread reminded me of the year we had WAY too much fun on April Fool's day with our store's secretary.

We had her dial a number and ask for Myra Mains (the number was for Alamogordo Funeral Home.)

Then we had her page Anita Mann (the following is a transcript of that page): "Anita Mann, please come to the service desk! Anita Mann... oh, God, I can't believe you guys did this to me!"

And as for girls with boys' names, let me introduce you to my brother-in-law's wife's mother and aunts: Mickey, Pat, Terry and Jerry (yes, it's JERRY, not Jeri, Geri, Gerri, etc.) Not one of them goes by full first names, just these rather masculine nicknames.

BlueRose

abracadabra

My 6th grade teacher told our class about teaching these two twins, named Orangelo and Lemongelo (Orange Jello and Lemon Jello...). [Confused]

edit-And her husband taught a law class and had a Chinese student with the last name of Pupu (spelling...?).

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abracadabra:
My 6th grade teacher told our class about teaching these two twins, named Orangelo and Lemongelo (Orange Jello and Lemon Jello...). [Confused]

*sigh*
bookachow!

I need a ruling... is it even fair to claim that one as my first realBookachow?

Atlanta "fish in a barrell" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
odaiwai

quote:
Originally posted by abracadabra:

edit-And her husband taught a law class and had a Chinese student with the last name of Pupu (spelling...?).[/QB]

Sounds Unlikely. A Chinese last name will have one syllable. Of course, maybe the person's name is Chan Pui Pui, or something, in which case the family name is Chan and people may call them Pui-Pui.

dave

Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dagwood:
[QB]Where I work I deal alot with dentist names. One that makes me laugh is Peter Swallow.

There is definitely something about destist's names. I had Gentili (or similar). He was actually a lousy pretty dentist though.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brionninn

In Montgomery, Alabama, there is an attorney by the name of Richard Ball. Yes, he prefers to go by the nickname Dick.
Callie Cat
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Callie Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my professors in university told us he grew up with a guy by the name of Bob Loblaw.

Just say it fast...blah blah blah

Posts: 1304 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laughin

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some I have come across, and yes, they are true.

There was a kid at college named Phuk Do. He changed his name to John.... [Roll Eyes]

We have a Dr. Payne in town,

Also, there is a gynecologist named Dr. Clapp.

I went to check on my bridal registry and came across a girl named Leah (lay-ah) who was marrying Scott Virgin.

F S J Ledgister

quote:
Originally posted by The Vorlon Ambassador:
quote:
Originally posted by F S J Ledgister:
One of the real far right wing nuts in recent history was Revilo P. Oliver.

What was the 'P.' for? Pallindrome?
Pendleton, believe it or not.
F S J Ledgister

quote:
Originally posted by Goes-squeak like a mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by F S J Ledgister:
One of the real far right wing nuts in recent history was Revilo P. Oliver.

Must have been his real name. [Wink] If a simple pallindrome was all you were after, you could use the name Revil Oliver, couldn't you?

Goes-seog"nope, don't work"

It was. He was a professor of classics at UIUC, and a frequently published writer. His 'essays' are available on some right-wing nut web sites.
Liza
What's My Lime?

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Liza         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's grandfather was married three times, outlived two of them, and died from pneumonia he got after being caught in the rain walking home from the town's house of ill repute.

As a result, he had a lot of children. The first two wives, he gave the children normal names. The third wife, he suggested naming them One, Two, Three, etc. She said no. And won.

However, they still ended up with interesting names. My grandfather is Boston. I have/had an Aunt Alabama, Aunt Cincinnati, Uncle Spain, Uncle Denver, and their mother's name was Georgia.

The family name is Dicks.

Liza

Posts: 122 | From: BFE, Florida | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueRose

Anyone ever hear of Portland Hoffa? She married Fred Allen and was a popular radio personality. I recall this story from Jacqueline Susann's book "Every Night, Josephine!"

Anyway, the story goes Portland had a sister and a brother named Lebanon and Harlem (they were all named after the places they were born.) And another sister named Last-One. Because after Mrs. Hoffa had three babies, Mr. Hoffa decided that was enough. But Mrs. Hoffa had a mind of her own, even though she agreed to let Mr. Hoffa name the babies. So Mr. Hoffa put his foot down and named the baby "Last-One". Still, Mrs. Hoffa decided one last shot. Had another girl. Mr. Hoffa named her Period.

Don't know if it's completely true (I know Portland Hoffa is a real person), but it's a great story.

Blue "why would she let him name the kids anyway?" Rose [Confused]

Johnny Blaster

Howabout the woman I worked with named

Robyn Banks

Or the AA spokesman a few years back

Tom Collins

Or the current radio huckster

Woody Johnson

Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My eye Drs. name is Dr Seymour (very sweet lady), my grandfathers heart surgeon's name was Dr. Heartsuck, (May have been Hartsuck, I'm not sure) & I knew a little girl in elementary school named 'Pepsi'. I sure hope she's had it legally changed by now.
Oh & we had a family friend named Bob Smith. Not Robert, Bob. And no middle name. He had the *worst* time every time he filled out paperwork. They kept wanting to make him a Robert & tried to find out what his middle name was.

Mor 'first, middle & last' -gaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Milky White Midway Bill

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Ny, with sporks and knives:
I was watching the movie Bones the other day and it said the directors name was Heller Hiwater...

Ny, this sounds like a joke - on IMDB they say one of the producers (they needed 3!) was Peter Heller. Director was Ernest R. Dickerson (did work w/Spike Lee).

Midway "head chef: Hammond Egges" Bill

Joethe3

My pet's veterinarian was named Dr. Barker. Strangely, he was allergic to dogs.
Liza
What's My Lime?

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Liza         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the ER doctors in DeSoto County, Florida, is Dr. Killum.
Posts: 122 | From: BFE, Florida | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, Flying Rodent Control

The rumour in Halifax, Nova Scotia, is that the Isaac Walton Killam Memorial Hospital for Children was originally slated to be called the I. Killam Children's Hospital.
Callie Cat
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Callie Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe somewhat off topic but there is a restaurant a couple of streets over from here called Yuki Japanese Food.

I always thought that was an unfortunate name for a restaurant. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1304 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom-Tzu

quote:
Originally posted by Callie Cat, A Dog's Life:
Maybe somewhat off topic but there is a restaurant a couple of streets over from here called Yuki Japanese Food.

I always thought that was an unfortunate name for a restaurant. [Big Grin]

It wouldn't even have occurred to me, but now that you mention it, yes, I can see that. Trouble is, I know enough Japanese that I'd immediately read that as "you-key", so "yucky" would never have entered into my head. Except in connection with the wasabi, of which I'm not at all fond.

Incidentally, yuki is snow.

Last of the Red Hot Rosas

Hey! Yuki actually posts here sometimes: Yuki and Her Kids

Would you accept an unfortunate sign? The bowling alley here has a marquee that reads: "Welcome National Frozen Food Bowlers" -- so maybe the frozen chicken cannon isn't a UL.

Angel Heart

quote:
Originally posted by Liza:
My grandfather is Boston. I have/had an Aunt Alabama, Aunt Cincinnati, Uncle Spain, Uncle Denver, and their mother's name was Georgia.

My great-grandmother(Dad's grandma)'s first and middle names were Missouri Elizabeth, but everyone called her Patsy.
BlueRose

This just happened to me today....

A woman stopped by our bakery to pick up a cake and asked to write on it for her. I said no problem, what would you like it to say?

Customer: "Happy Birthday, Echo."
Me: "Echo?"
Customer (with a tired smile): "Yes."

The joke didn't sink in until I went in the back and asked a couple of co-workers, "Hey, would you name your kid 'Echo'?"

And they said: "Echo?"

Blue "sounds familiar" Rose

evilminkey8876

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my cousin went to school with andrew and peter niss and only in their final assembley did it click that they were a.niss and p.niss.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages