snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » How old is Grandma?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How old is Grandma?
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 97 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the long line of "We had it better back in the day" crap.

quote:
How old is Grandma?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end -- it will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

There was no:

radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.

Man had not invented:

pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

Your Grandfather and I got married first-and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

"grass" was mowed,

"coke" was a cold drink,

"pot" was something your mother cooked in and

"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

" chip" meant a piece of wood,

"hardware" was found in a hardware store and

"software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58 years old!

Urgh...okay. Let's pretend Grandma is 58. If this was written this year, she would have been born in 1947. Since she's making claims of stuff from her birth year, not childhood, this narrows some stuff down. Let's recap:

quote:
I was born before:

television

Invented 1926.

quote:
penicillin,
Discovered in 1928, used during WWII and mass produced.

quote:
There was no:

radar,

Radar was used in WWII.

quote:
ball-point pens
Invented 1938.

quote:
Man had not invented:

air conditioners,

Invented 1902.

quote:
dishwashers,
Invented 1893.

quote:
clothes dryers,
Electric clothes dryer invented in 1915.

quote:
We never heard of electric typewriters
Electric typewriter invented in 1901.

quote:
or guys wearing earrings
What about pirates? [Razz]

Maybe it would be fairer to say "These things weren't common" or "Not for public use at the time" or even "Not in the same capacity as we know it now, when it was first invented", but to say some of these things weren't invented at all, or just didn't exist, nope.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 506 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And we all know divorce, adultery, homosexuals, and abortion were invented in the 1960s.

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 302 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noreen:
And we all know divorce, adultery, homosexuals, and abortion were invented in the 1960s.

True--as was cocaine. [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dondi
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dondi   E-mail Dondi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TrishDaDish. Have you researched how old this story is? Maybe it's older than you assume. If the story has been around, say, 10 years, then the answers could be valid.

ETA: I've surfed around and most of the sites state that she was born in 1944, which would make her about 61.

--------------------
"It won't mean a thing in a hundred years." - John Popper

Posts: 695 | From: Southern Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cubism artist
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.
[/QB]

And if you wanted to send glurge, you had to spend your nickels on enough stamps to mail the letters. Not just FW emails.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 303 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are some of our previous discussions: And here's what it looked like when I first saw it in 2000.
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying something new, gonna go through this the first time (since it appears to be in list form) responding to relevant things.. If this is followed by [deleted] then you'll know it just didn't work [Smile]

quote:
How old is Grandma?

I doubt it..

quote:
One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill.

I think I see where this is going, but if it ends up being one of those "back in the day things were better" threads i'm surprised penicillin and polio vaccinations are on here.. I mean really..

quote:
There was no:

radar, credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.

People above have handled this one, still not sure how these things are evil which I"m sure it will be

quote:
Man had not invented:

pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

Don't you know? Man never walked on the moon, it was all filmed on a sound stage in Nevada.

quote:
Your Grandfather and I got married first-and then lived together.
Ahh, so it begins. Well its a good thing they were so compatable and neither had major flaws. Or maybe they did but it was better to live a miserable life then actually do something to correct it.

quote:
Every family had a father and a mother.
Wow, she has to share her secret about how to ward off accidental death (particularly without all those evil medications).

quote:
Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir.'
Eh, politeness is a good thing, I'll let this one go.

quote:
We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.
Yea, damn those women and gay rights, they really should learn to keep in their place like those young negros did in MY grandmothers day, let me tell you.. And of course you didn't need theropy, if people had problems they could just "suck it up" or go live in a "special" home away from us.

quote:
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
Well unofficially I'd say the ten commandments are doing fine (made of stone after all). But I'll give them that common sense and good judgement are all gone. Way'ta instill those qualities in your children. Officially however you musta been living in another country besides America.. Iran maybe?

quote:
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Chalk another failure to instill that one with your kids then, cause those in power today seem to have forgotten that one..

quote:
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
I'll agree with this one, the fact that we can disagree with our government and voice it is a major privledge yes.

quote:
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Not sure how old McDonalds is but I believe it goes back pretty far. Still if you thought "fast food" meant what you ate during lent then I'm starting to realize why you didn't pass on things to your kids too well..

quote:
Ok I dont get this one.. Someone will have to clear it up for me..

quote:
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Not sure if there was a draft during WWI or WWII, but if there was i'm sure there were dodgers.. I have no doubt there were deserters though which may as well be the same thing, perhaps worse..

quote:
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
Must have been weird talking to this woman since she used all these wierd phrases..

quote:
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
Music musta been severly limited.. And didnt' pirates wear earrings? And other historical figures/groups? I guess they didn't hear of history books either..

quote:
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.
Wow three options.. And like him or hate him, I think GWB's speeches are.. Stilted.. At best..

quote:
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
Of course not, that sorta thing never happened.. They just moved out to another town is all, same with all those girls around mid to late high school to live with their aunts. Wierd that so many people moved away at such an early age..

quote:
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.
Yea, its a shame we no longer let good old fasioned xenophbia keep cheap quality products away from the country.

quote:
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Hello, Mrs. Jones, yes your daughter is making out on her school exam..

quote:
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
Yes yes, no fast food, I remember.. Guess the alsheimers is setting in..

quote:
We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.
We have dollar stores where you can (in most cases) actually buy things for a dollar? Surely inflation is not a new invention.

quote:
Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
Again, inflation, I'm sure they used to be a penny..

quote:
To think how much easier it will be to write those letters/cards once they invent that ballpoint pen!

quote:
You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one?
Ok, so things were cheap as hell, but people got paid crap an hour.. How is this good then? Sorta puts that whole "nickel" thing in perspective..

quote:
Pfft, and forgo an ice cream and a trolly ride?

quote:
In my day:

"grass" was mowed,

Good ol Mary Jane has been around since the 20's (well before that obviously but made its splash in the 20's) so I guess they just had a differen't word.

quote:
"coke" was a cold drink,
Not sure when cocane really showed up first.. I"m sure somebody else does..

quote:
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
Covered above..

quote:
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
Ok so she's beyond the fifties at least.. Damned Elvis and the Beach boys destroied society.

quote:
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
Wouldn't that be "Aides"? Maybe i'm wrong. Granted they still had polio, but not AIDS.. Damned homosexuals brought that in dontcha know.. And know they want rights! Oh land'o'goshin..

quote:
" chip" meant a piece of wood,
Maybe I'm just not up on slang but I dont get this one either..

quote:
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and
Ohhhh, now I get the above one.. Forgot that comptuers (granting us the ability to gain knowledge, communicate easier, and provide entertainment were evil).

quote:
"software" wasn't even a word.
What? No "we thought that meant your christmas sweater" or some such thing? You dissapoint me Grandma, your getting lazy.

quote:
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?
There are others on this board who can tear into this better then I...

quote:
I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock!
Well, since she "experianced" all this stuff, I figured she was a teen (at the least) around 1940..

quote:
Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58 years

Hmm, close I guess, not terribly amazed..

Oh well, its been an exciting journey [Smile]

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The history of cocaine.

According to these people, cocaine has been around for 5,000 years. That means that in grandma's day, there was no Caesar, Jesus, Zeus or Buddha either.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Man am I jealous, I can't believe they were so lucky to not have those things...
quote:
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
Ha! fool!
quote:
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap...
Yeah... your laziness to learn about new and better things, and instead calling them evil, must not be your fault at all...
quote:
and how old do you think I am?
348?
quote:
This Woman would be only 58 years old!
Oh... good for her?

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not having daycare is a wonderful thing. When my grandfather was a little kid his mother used to tie him to a tree with a rope leash to keep him from running off while she did the household chores as her no-good husband hit the bars. After the husband departed town permanently she put my grandfather and his brother in an orphanage. I'm sure it was a great character building experience. (Where's the sarcasm smiley?)
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and I'm sure my grandmother was glad there was no penicillin to save her husband from pneumonia, her sister's daughter from scarlet fever, or her step sister from the fever that killed her. And watching one of her daughters nearly die of tonsillitis because the family was too poor to afford a doctor and there probably wasn't much one could do anyway must have been the sort of memory that makes one long for the good old days.
Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK, boogers! I know you made me long for the disease and poverty of "the good old days."

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GranolaSuicideSpawn2

As far as these things go, the worst complaint I can make is some gross inaccuracy.

I do NOT get the sense that everything on that list is supposed to represent "evil." For example, "television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill" clearly appear as good things, things that it would be surprising to the hearer that they had to live without. Sort of, "How did you get along without THAT?" Clearly the polio vaccine is one of these as well. It seems more like they're shooting for a comprehensive list without making many value judgments. (Of course they fail miserably, due to the gross inaccuracies.)

In fact I don't get a sense of a value judgment on too many of them, apart from the lady needing a husband and maybe the gay rights.

It's more like someone forwarding it added that "pretty scary and pretty sad at the same time" and that just stuck.

Meh. Just not very offensive as glurges go, so long as you can get around that whole thing of almost none of it being, you know, true.

Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Every family had a father and a mother."

Except for my grandmother's family, who were deserted by a loser who gambled away a huge inheritance. Actually, this kind of thing was quite common. That's why my great grandmother always lived with my mother's family the whole time she was growing up.

"Serving your country was a privilege;"
Except for people who lived during a thing called the draft. Some may have felt priviledged. My dad and uncle were both drafted to serve in the US military despite the fact they were Canadian citizens at the time. My uncle still is.

"Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins."
Still illegal in most states. And if it weren't for that damn rock -n-rolol, it would have been illegal for Jerry Lee Lewis as well.

"And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey."
Because everyone knows that heavy metal was the thing that started teen suicide.

"Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel."
And there was no shortage of perverts hiding behind bushes to offer you one of these if only youd let him 'fiddle about' (ok maybe not phone calls and trolly rides)

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 506 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I like to think of my grandma as "hip" and "with it", she tells ass jokes and whatnot, but she's never said "blowing his brains out". I can't picture any grandma saying that... but then again, I haven't met everyone's grandma.

Plus, if she thinks life is so screwed up now, she has herself to blame (in part). I bet all HER OWN kids that SHE raised use all that junk. Technically, wouldn't it be HER fault that her kids didn't use common sense and good judgement and all that jazz?

Blah! [Roll Eyes]

[edit]
Oh yeah, wait, we have "individuality" and "freedom of choice" now. Woops!

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Homsar999
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Homsar999     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, Pepsi was a nickel in the 40's? I thought it was a nickel when it came out in the 1890's. Man, maybe they're lying about this woman's age. [Big Grin]
Posts: 95 | From: Gurnee, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

quote:

I was expecting a grandma saying thank god I don't live in the past anymore. And then the grand ma goes and does blow.

So disapointed.

J. Thaddeus Toad

quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:

Umm..
According to this site, gas prices haven't been under an average of twenty cents a gallon at any point in the last 86 years. (EDIT: Oops, I missed a couple of the years in the 30's where it went under that. Still, it never got down to 11 cents) In 1947, they appear to have been a little over double that.

Also, if she was born in 1947, she would have hit teenage-hood in 1960. And Lord knows that there were no such things as drugs or draft-dodgers in the 60's.
That argument isn't valid, though, since it's making claims about the birth year rather than childhood. I think that that's a rather cheap method, though, since I doubt that the grandma had fond nostalgic memories about her birth year.
Although I suppose that "This Women would only be 70 years old!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though.

Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"coke" was a cold drink,

Old trout seems to be willfully ignorant of Coca-Cola's shall we say, *stimulating* history.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 500 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Maybe we've been reading this wrong. Maybe this has nothing to do with teen suicide. Maybe he's into Big Band sex orgies.

Trish "K-a-l-a-m-a-z-o-Oh, what a gal!!!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My family was ahead of the times. My great-grandmother's little sister got pregant out of wedlock at 16 and commited suicide rather than tell her family. In the late 1920s. I have no specifics on whether she blew her brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey, although it is certainly a possibility!
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:

quote:
Ok I dont get this one.. Someone will have to clear it up for me..

[/QB][/QUOTE]
I think the point is that "meaningful relationship" is one of those dern-fool hippy-dippy women's lib trendy psychology phrases. Back in Grandma's day, people didn't have relationships, they just got married, see?

I agree that this glurge must be at least ten years old. A 58-year-old today would almost surely have grown up with TV; I won't pick apart the other items, but has anyone checked out the postage one? How long has it been since letters cost three cents and postcards one cent to mail?

Many of the complaints sound recycled from the 1970's. The one about draft dodgers, for instance. Wasn't the draft abolished in the 70's? And weren't there draft riots during the Civil War?

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 303 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mari, a big square:
And weren't there draft riots during the Civil War?

Yep:
quote:
The first draft lottery was held on July 11, 1863. The riots, which lasted five days, began July 13, 1863 and ended on July 17.
{ snip }
The riot began with the burning of a draft office. Members of the fire department stood by and watched, angry that they had lost their exemption to the draft. Targets of the rioters were initially draft offices and police stations, but soon spread to black property and organizations, and white sympathizers. An orphanage for black children was burned but the children were rescued.
{ snip }
The exact death toll is unknown, but at least 100 people were killed and at least 300 more injured; property damage was about $1.5 million. The Guinness Book of World Records cites it as the bloodiest riot in history, costing approximately 1,200 lives.

Since several posters have pointed out the schizophrenic nature of this glurge (e.g., it says how horrible things are today while at the same time listing inventions that have improved life) I thought I'd mention how in one of our earlier threads KathyB found earlier versions that emphasized the changes over the last few decades as opposed to the supposed moral decline like the version in the OP does. For example, click here for "We are Survivors" from 5 January 1990. As you'll see, no absurd claims that every family had a father and mother and it's missing all the crap about how their lives were governed by "good judgment and common sense" and they knew the difference between right and wrong, unlike (allegedly) today. Also, it's missing this howler (emphasis mine):
quote:
Bwhahahahahahaha! Not!
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Homsar999:
Wait, Pepsi was a nickel in the 40's? I thought it was a nickel when it came out in the 1890's. Man, maybe they're lying about this woman's age. [Big Grin]

I remember "back in my day" when I could buy a Coke, a chocolate bar and a comic book for less than 50 cents. Which was lucky as that was what my allowance was.

What these nostalgia trippers don't ever bother to mention is what the cost of their item might have been relative to what people were earning back in their dream "golden time".

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, ease up on Grandma, will you? I happen to have been born the same year as she was, and I went to high school with her. There's a reason she made all those mistakes quoted in the OP.

She was the biggest slut in high school and never learned anything because she was too busy, um, you know.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As you get older, you tend to forget about the bad thing in your youth, or else you romanticise them (eg. we grew up in the depression....)

Everyone thinks their generation had it tough and the next generation are idiots.

Ask Grandma who she thinks is responsible for the way subsequent generations have turned out.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It always bugs me how half the time this type of thing uses prices unadjusted for inflation to say, "Everything was really cheap back then! Now things are just way too expensive!" without mentioning the wages.

The other half of the time, it's the opposite. They use the unadjusted wages to say, "We were really poor back then! Kids today are spoiled!" without mentioning the prices.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
It always bugs me how half the time this type of thing uses prices unadjusted for inflation to say, "Everything was really cheap back then! Now things are just way too expensive!" without mentioning the wages.

The other half of the time, it's the opposite. They use the unadjusted wages to say, "We were really poor back then! Kids today are spoiled!" without mentioning the prices.

Every single time gas goes up, my MIL has to make the comment "I remember when gas was a quarter a gallon!" And then we have to remind her that she thought she was in huge money because she was making $1 an hour at the cigarette factory. "Oh, well, that's true....." MIL is actually 57 this year, I think. She acts older than her mother (who is 81). Granny never complains about this stuff — she's too busy having fun with her boyfriends [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marzi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marzi   E-mail Marzi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Coke was a cold refreshing drink"

yeah the coke in the name Coca Cola STANDS for cocanine.

--------------------
"Of course I'm a duck! I have all the duck bits! The bill. The webbed feet. The cute tail. The sailor hat." -Quack, from Peep and the great big world

Posts: 59 | From: Niagara Falls, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
damsa

quote:
Originally posted by Marzi:
"Coke was a cold refreshing drink"

yeah the coke in the name Coca Cola STANDS for cocanine.

Coke when it first came out wouldn't have been a cold refreshing drink as refrigeration and or freezers were not in wide spread use.
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well, at least grandma didn't have to deal with needles in payphones, getting shot for flashing her headlights, AIDS Mary, slavemaster, bloody hooks, stolen kidneys, and snakes in ballpits! Lucky bitch.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that is a kickin' name you have there Urhines! I thoroughly enjoy reading it over and over. Some poor little baby is sad cause you stole his kickin' name.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peccavimus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is fun.

When I was born:

There was no internet.

We had never discovered a planet outside our solar system.

We hadn't cracked the human genome.

"Rap" was a style of improvisational performance mostly performed by small groups of people in large cities.

The Soviet Union was our largest enemy, and nuclear war was probably inevitable.

"Dance music" meant disco.

If you wanted to buy music, you could buy tapes or vinyl. Most people prefered vinyl but some liked tapes because, in some newer cars, you could play them as you drove.

Professional writers all used typewriters. But it was still possible to submit a handwritten manuscript some places.

Homosexuality was officially a disease. There were no positive depictions of homosexuality on TV -- and even a negative depiction was controversial.

Punks were (or rather, soon would be) dangerous kids who cut themselves with razors and wanted to overthrow the government.

Drug dealers reportedly hooked new customers by giving kids temporary tattoos. (because nothing's as addictive as an unplanned LSD trip!)

Cable television provided you with an unthinkable number of channels -- in the double digits, even!

If you took a five dollar bill to a bookstore, you could probably take home a couple novels and change.

"Asian Fusion" had something to do with the cold war.

Sushi was a weird thing people did on the west coast.

Men with long hair were frowned on and prohibited from entering some business establishments (or so I'm told -- I was an infant and had no hair).

Schools were completely safe in most places. Visitors just had to check with the main office.

A pierced lip or a pierced nose or a pierced eyebrow (ouch) was outre.

Tattoos were a little sleazy.

There was no AIDS. At least, as far as we knew.

Eastern religions were exotic and few white people belonged to them.

Okay, now I'm bored with this. How old am I?

Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages