snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Glurge Archive » Danger Will Robinson - Evil Song Glurge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Danger Will Robinson - Evil Song Glurge
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 16 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it on the radio this morning, MIX 107.3, for DC readers. Somebody's remade the song "I Get Knocked Down" (where the chorus is nothing but shouting, like a group of frat boys practicing to be the Offspring someday), in the following format:

"We get knocked down
But we're Americans
You'll never keep (US city name, different each time) down"

The trumpet solo between the chorus and the verse was changed to resemble a snippet of "America the Beatuiful"

The original was annoying enough - this version is actually dangerous to listen to while driving.

Hopefully, it's a local phenomenon (and will stay that way)

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Local OKC country radio stations are playing Hank Jr's "America will survive" waaaaayy to often.
I think it aired on CMT last week.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senerie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds bad. I mean realy, truly awful, disgusting, bizarre, and moronic.

*shudder*

Yest another reason why I don't listen to morning radio.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
President242001

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"We get knocked down
But we're Americans

Presumably they've declined to include the "pi***ing the night away" part of the "Tubthumping" chorus

Betsy

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
I heard it on the radio this morning, MIX 107.3, for DC readers. Somebody's remade the song "I Get Knocked Down" (where the chorus is nothing but shouting, like a group of frat boys practicing to be the Offspring someday), in the following format:

"We get knocked down
But we're Americans

The trumpet solo between the chorus and the verse was changed to resemble a snippet of "America the Beatuiful"

The original was annoying enough - this version is actually dangerous to listen to while driving.

Hopefully, it's a local phenomenon (and will stay that way)

Eek. A song about downtrodden blue-collar workers from Leeds getting p***-drunk gets morphed into that? I think I might need to expatriate.

The rest of the original CD is soooo much better than the title song (Tubthumper)

Richard W

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if anybody asked the permission of Chumbawamba? It doesn't seem that a group of very left-wing British proto-anarchists would be pleased about their song being turned into a patriotic American glurge...

And it might just be me, but is it really the most appropriate song for this? Talk of things being "knocked down" immediately made me think of the Twin Towers, and I haven't noticed them "getting back up again" yet.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I wonder if anybody asked the permission of Chumbawamba? It doesn't seem that a group of very left-wing British proto-anarchists would be pleased about their song being turned into a patriotic American glurge...

Well, if the song can be successfully defended as parody, they don't need permission. Paradoy, no matter how much of the work you're using, is considered fair use. Weird Al Yankovic, who's made a career out of parodying songs, does get permission first, but that's merely courtesy on his part.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
phildonnia

Last July it seemed that a lot of fireworks shows were using "Born in the USA" as part of the music montage.

Apparently, the people who design these shows, as well as 99% of the viewers don't know that it's a deeply bitter and ironic song.

bufungla

Icon 27 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by phildonnia:
Last July it seemed that a lot of fireworks shows were using "Born in the USA" as part of the music montage.

Apparently, the people who design these shows, as well as 99% of the viewers don't know that it's a deeply bitter and ironic song.

Sorry - that just reminded me about all the people who think "Every Breath You Take" is such a pretty love song, and completely miss the point that it's really about surveillance and stalking.

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DataAngel
Xboxing Day

Icon 88 posted      Profile for DataAngel   Author's Homepage   E-mail DataAngel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by phildonnia:

I always thought that made its selection all the more fitting. Same thing with the overuse of it since September 11th. In a store a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I found a CD of patriotic standards with a few rock songs thrown in for good measure. "Born in the USA" and "American Woman" were on there.

Oh, how we laughed.

If you're going to rush marketing something to cash in... take a few minutes to research first, eh.

--------------------
Me: So you’re saying Lucas is really an Ewok and was projecting his own ideas of god onto Anthony Daniels in a plastic hat.

E: Sure, if it will end this conversation, yes.

Posts: 1272 | From: Delusion | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wave Rider

quote:
Originally posted by DataAngel:

In a store a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I found a CD of patriotic standards with a few rock songs thrown in for good measure. "Born in the USA" and "American Woman" were on there.

Oh, how we laughed.

If you're going to rush marketing something to cash in... take a few minutes to research first, eh.

"American Woman"??! Har. Written by PO'd Canadians.
And, call me Un-American, but if I hear that Lee Greenwood song "God Bless the USA" one more time....I'm gonna have to hurt myself.

"Pink Houses" by JCM would have been a better choice.

Wave

bblady

I seem to recall that the 1992 Republican Convention in Houston, Texas, in which homophobes Pat Buchanan and Pat Robertson were featured speakers, used "The Best of Times is Now" from the musical "La Cage Aux Folles" as a theme song. In the musical, the song is sung by a drag queen disguised as the mother of his long-time partner's illegitimate son.

Sharon "Sometimes Family Values Can Be A Real Drag" Weintraub

bufungla

Icon 23 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wave Rider:

And, call me Un-American, but if I hear that Lee Greenwood song "God Bless the USA" one more time....I'm gonna have to hurt myself.

Now, if you'd thought about it, you would've said if you heard it one more time, you'd have to hurt Lee Greenwood

buf "and I'lll videotape it" ungla

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:

Sorry - that just reminded me about all the people who think "Every Breath You Take" is such a pretty love song, and completely miss the point that it's really about surveillance and stalking.

And the people who think that that REM's "The One I Love" is romantic...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:

And the people who think that that R.E.M.'s "The One I Love" is romantic...

*pouts*

You stole my song.

Sister "fire!" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for dredging up such an old topic, but I just had to add my two cents to the "bitter song" thread. This year's fireworks display included all the pseudo-Patriot songs listed, with one more: "Independence Day," by Martina McBride. Which, for the uncertain, is a song about a little girl whose dad abuses her mom, so eventually her mom snaps on the Fourth and torches the house, presumably with him inside. Joyous, no? [Roll Eyes]

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the time, fireworks show use songs just for the beat and the rythm... That's what I gathered from the firework festival here [Smile]

Eti"If I heard Vangelis used in a firework show again..."enne

Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a Weird Al Yankovic parody of the same song and it sounds eerily like some of the glurge I've seen on this board.

Let's hunt him down
And shoot him in the head
Let's beat the crap out of Sadaam.

Let's hunt him down
Let's bomb Iraq into the ground.

Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Just Wanna Be Your Kitty Cat

This is a Weird Al Yankovic parody of the same song and it sounds eerily like some of the glurge I've seen on this board.
Water Lily , you beat me to it, I remembered that parody from a few years back too..
I think the chorus part goes:

Don't screw with the USA
and then there was the Millivanilli parody from back then too
Blame it on Hussein

Le Petomane

quote:
Originally posted by waterlily:

Let's hunt him down
Let's beat the crap out of Sadaam.

Let's hunt him down
Let's bomb Iraq into the ground.

When you say "the same song" are you talking about the ChumbaWumba song from the OP? I'm a little confused, because the gulf war ended several years before that song was released.
Also, do you mean Weird Al actually recorded this glurgy crap? Because as a fan of his, I'm doubtful of and a little insulted by the notion that the man who wrote "Mr. Frump & the Iron Lung" would write derivative parody lyrics about a dictator even late-night talk show hosts got tired of making jokes about in 1993.

Joseph "He didn't write 'Hey Mr. Taliban' either goddammit" Pujol

ShavenYak

quote:
Originally posted by Le Petomane:
Also, do you mean Weird Al actually recorded this glurgy crap? Because as a fan of his, I'm doubtful of and a little insulted by the notion that the man who wrote "Mr. Frump & the Iron Lung" would write derivative parody lyrics about a dictator even late-night talk show hosts got tired of making jokes about in 1993.

Joseph "He didn't write 'Hey Mr. Taliban' either goddammit" Pujol

Haven't you ever noticed that whenever you search for Weird Al on Napster/Gnutella/Song-Swapping-Service-Of-This-Week, you find all kinds of parody songs, including ones you know for certain are NOT Al? Annoying as hell, and almost as disheartening as seeing Tiffany's schlock "I Think We're Alone Now" attributed to the lovely and talented Debbie Gibson.
Le Petomane

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen, Shavenyak.

I guess that's the burden of having popularized the modern song parody. Any two-bit piece of crap parody that some jackass writes in his basement and mails to Howard Stern is attributed to you.

Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Le Petomane:
When you say "the same song" are you talking about the ChumbaWumba song from the OP? I'm a little confused, because the gulf war ended several years before that song was released.

Phew, the song was about the last Gulf War? That's a relief - I assumed that they'd meant the proposed forthcoming Gulf War...
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't think of it as glurge at all. I thought of it as an immature "Let's kick somebody's ass!" song. The funny part is that it sounds like some of the glurge I saw here. And the cold war may be over but I still here people say stuff like "Let's bomb Iraq."
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Oh yeah I don't know for sure if it really is Weird Al Yankovic but when I typed his name into Audiogalaxy (where you can download music) I got this song.
Binro the Heretic

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That most definitely is NOT a ''Weird'' Al Yankovic song.

I have all his albums and Al doesn't write anything that awful or mean-spirited and in general does not address political issues. (The closest he came to a political statement was "Trigger Happy," a Jan & Dean style song about a gun nut.)

Others who have already posted this are correct. When most people hear a song parody, they automatically attribute it to Al since that is what he's famous for. On many file-sharing programs, songs get wrongly credited to him.

JK Will

Or indeed the people who slow danced to "One" by U2.

JK "1,2,1,2,1,2,3,4" Will

BlueJeans, Tap-Dancing Hamster

quote:
Originally posted by Binro the Heretic:
That most definitely is NOT a ''Weird'' Al Yankovic song.

I have all his albums and Al doesn't write anything that awful or mean-spirited and in general does not address political issues. (The closest he came to a political statement was "Trigger Happy," a Jan & Dean style song about a gun nut.)

Others who have already posted this are correct. When most people hear a song parody, they automatically attribute it to Al since that is what he's famous for. On many file-sharing programs, songs get wrongly credited to him.

Binro, you beat me to it. "Bomb Iraq" was writting by Paul Shanklin.

One of the reasons Al is so big is because he's something the whole family can enjoy-- his lyrics are clean and he's funny. He didn't even use the F-word in the Alternative Polka (for those of you who don't know what that is, he basically took verses from a bunch of popular songs and made them polka, and one of them was Nine Inch Nails' "I Wanna NBSK You Like An Animal). I think he's conscious a lot of his music is going to young kids and he's intelligent enough to know he shouldn't put in things about senseless acts of violence or South-Parkian language. I once found "Fuck the Police" attributed to him on Napster.

Here's a reference to songs that Al didn't write, and I'll dig up something on Al's object to filing sharing for that reason exactly. enjoy.

http://www.com-www.com/weirdal/notbyal.html

From www.weirdal.com (official site):
quote:
Bill of Torrance, CA asks: Did you sing the following songs: “Toast,” “Baby Got Jack,” “Ugly Girl,” and “Livin' La Vida Yoda.” I'm asking because people download these songs and the title would say “by Al Yankovic.” [/b]

No, no, no, and no. This is actually my biggest problem with all those mp3-download services. A large number of the songs which are attributed to me are NOT by me at all. Some of the songs supposedly by me are, in fact, rather profane, and it disturbs me that some people might be led to believe that I’m responsible for them. Check the discography on my web site if you’re ever in doubt as to whether something is really a Weird Al song or not.

I think Al's most violent songs were actually about Christmas... "The Night Santa Went Crazy" and "Christmas at Ground Zero" in that order. Oh, and there's "I Remember Larry"...
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 05 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Al DID do a song about Yoda to the tune of Lola, right??? One of the morning shows here has been playing what sounds like a re-reocrd of it, attributing it to the "Dean and Rog Singers", and I could swear it's the same song.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Y-O-D-A Yo-Da!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages