snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » A Paypal Phishing scam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Paypal Phishing scam
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the
PayPal system. We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

We would like to ensure that your account was not accessed by an
unauthorized third party. Because protecting the security of your
account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal
account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please
understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.
Case ID Number: PP-072-838-482

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=complaint-view
**real link goes to http://linux.fal.pt/reparacoes/img/rippert/webscrr/cmd/index.html **

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until
additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any
inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal
usedto make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the
Resolution Center https://www.paypal.com/ ** real link goes to http://linux.fal.pt/reparacoes/img/rippert/webscrr/cmd/index.html ** . If, after reviewing your account information, you
seekfurther clarification regarding your account access, please contact
PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".We thank you for
your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a
security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for
any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP520972

----------------
I have been getting these in my inbox for about 2 weeks now, but I finaly investigated and it is a scam.
The links are all mirror sites, and I think it is a password lifting scam. Sent the appropriate email to paypal but wanted to let everyone else know.

Always use your own bookmark or type in the URL when you are logging on to Paypal. Just in case I was compromised though, I changed my password. I hate internet theives. [flame]

ETA: The real destination of the links. GRRRRR.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 506 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got something similar in my e-mail this week [Mad] ; sent it right to spoof@paypal.com.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got two... One was like the above... The other was even cuter. I didn't keep it, but it was something like this: "Dear Sir, recently, the name GeorgeJ was added to your Paypal account; do you approve this change?"

Bastards...

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AndrewR
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndrewR   E-mail AndrewR   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I do with phishing emails is to report the phishing sites to the ISP that's hosting the site, and to the bank (or whoever) that's being targetted, and send a copy to reportphishing@antiphishing.org.

Spam me, and you die! [flame]
(well, that's the theory, anyway...)

Posts: 61 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically - I get these emails, and I don't even have a PayPal account!
So, it's clever, but not VERY clever....

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else misread this thread as "A Papal Phishing scam"?

Dear Roman Catholic,

Shortly after being elected Pope Benedict XIII, I took it upon myself to review our financial records. In order to review your account's security, please click on the below link and supply your current Social Security number as well as a major credit card account number.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] I wonder how many peopel would fall for that.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate

Icon 98 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] YOMANKB!

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here we report them to the RCMP. Don't know why, except perhaps the fact that they're countrywide. My dad takes it really seriously; I mostly just delete and continue my life. Ironically, he gets about six times the spam I do, including some with my name on it.

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kenny2424
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Paypal account but didn't receive one of these retarted messages.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marRAYreya:
Ironically - I get these emails, and I don't even have a PayPal account!
So, it's clever, but not VERY clever....

The same thing has happened to me. Hilarious, isn't it?

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
seattle slew
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
I got something similar in my e-mail this week [Mad] ; sent it right to spoof@paypal.com.

Is that where you're supposed to send these type of emails? I always send it to support@snoops.com.

Just wondering, do people really fall for these tricks???

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This arrived just today. It's almost identical (even shares a couple of spelling mistakes) to several others I've received over the past couple of months. How many of these scammers are there?

quote:

We recently have determined that different computers have logged into your PayPal account, and multiple password failures were present before the login. One of our Customer Service employees has already tryed to telephonically reach you. As our employee did not manage to reach you, this email has been sent to your notice.
Therefore your account has been temporary suspended. We need you to confirm your identity in order to regain full privileges of your account.
If this is not completed by July 10, 2005, we reserve the right to terminate all privileges of your account indefinitly, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner.
To confirm your identity please follow the link below...

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages