snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Credit Card Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Credit Card Advice
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife got this from our friend across the street who is always sending things out.

quote:
Hi Everyone,

I thought this was good info. to have, especially for those who are traveling.

ATTORNEY'S ADVICE -- NO CHARGE

Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice. A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put "PHOTO ID REQUIRED".

3 When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

4. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SIN# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

5. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, SIN, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc. were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

3. Call the two national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Insurance number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away. This weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc. has been stolen:

1.) Equifax Canada: 1-877-249-2705
2.) TransUnion: 1-877-525-3823

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about everything. But if you are willing to pass this information along, it could really help someone that you care about.

Most of it seems like sound advice. To me this seems like a composite, or at least modified set of advisories circulated. For example, it uses the Canadian "SIN", and credit bureaux contact numbers. But at the same time it uses the American "check" and "DMV".

Anyhow, the only one I was really questioning was the "Do not sign your credit card" bit. I just checked mine, and it says "Authorized Signature" so to me that means if it is not signed it is not authorised. Besides, I have yet had my signature compared to the signature on my receipt. So I doubt "Photo ID Required" will really help anything.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
advice-a-chow

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
advice-a-chow

Well 4Kitties, I will take half a credit for it, or half a trout for not.

I did a search but it was for the first half of the e-mail. I was looking up "Photo ID Required" in my snopes search.

Ah well, I'll get it completely right one of these days [Big Grin]

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
3 When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.
Not necessary these days. Today you can pay your bill online on most credit card companies via site. MBNA for most Federal Banks, EZCardInfo for some Credit Unions, or even your own bank may allow payment via accessing their online banking system.

Even shopping centers such as Kohls is currently developing and improving their pay online services so you don't need to even write a check to them.

So writing a check to pay a bill is second-hand lately. Simply do your online pay and print a receipt of the paid transaction and your done.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 302 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UEL:

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

What's to stop the person who stole your checks from signing the check with your first initial and last name? I always sign my checks that way.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.
But whomever the thief presents the forged checks to for payment won't.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ones which are rubbish:

1: is a bank which has been lax enough not to notice completely different styled signitures really much more likely to care if it's initialed or full name?

2: this may be different in the UK but if you do that you'll definately make it a pain to use the card as you'll have confused cashiers and you'll likely get people refusing to accept a card that isn't signed. Not relevant with "Chip and Pin" cards anyway

3: Sending stuff like this through the post is an inherent risk but assuming you're handing a cheque into a cashier; if you can't trust the bank themselves to treat your info with security, why are you with them?

4: possibly a US thing, I've never put a phone number on a cheque.

5: photocopying like that is a hugely risky thing, not only must you put all your cards in the open like that to photocopy but if someone gets hold of those photocopies they will have all the info they need to drain your accounts in minutes as well as steal your identity.

It's far better just to write down the banks and the phone numbers. As far as I know, they don't need to know your card numbers to cancel them, just some security questions.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could always change your signature overtime. Some people sign it their full name, some may even sign it as first initial last name and suffix. Some may even sign it as more cryptic as a drag of initials.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good advice, but here's better advice...

Avoid using a cheque if at all possible.

I live in Canada, and I rarely see people paying by cheque like I see in the US. I've seen people write a cheque for $3.11 in a grocery store. To me, that just seems wrong.

When do you use a cheque? Usually when you send a payment in the mail, or to a landlord for rent, or a large "private" purchase (like buying a used car from a neighbour). Proliferating cheques for everything from gas to a pack of cigarettes, just makes the opportunity for fraud all that much easier.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jusr a wee question: checks? What kind of backwards banking system do you have? I don't think I've seen a check in the last 20 years.

As for not signing your credit card. This is utterly ridiculous. The reason for having your signature on it is to make it possible for the cashier to check that it corresponds with the one on the slip you have just signed and the one on your photo ID. In Sweden and, it seems, the UK a credit card just isn't valid without a signature.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Floater, credit cards in the US aren't valid without a signature either. You can go to the Visa and MasterCard sites and see where they tell merchants that they should not accept unsigned cards. We've (I've) covered this ground before on the boards. But it's exactly as you say, it's your only defense at point of sale. And I don't think people ever realize just how easy it is for a crook to have a fake id made with your name and their photo and signature. It can be done before you even realize your card is missing.

As for checks, I only use them when I can't pay by credit card or ACH payment (for bills) or cash of course. These days it seems I only use checks for school expenses for my daughter. Checks for her lunch account, checks for books, checks for miscellaneous expenses such as trips and clubs. Since I rarely have cash on hand I use checks for these expenses. The school doesn't take credit cards.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MattG
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattG   E-mail MattG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well all, this being only my fourth post here, feel free to take this as you will but the "Must have ID" bit does indeed work and the CC is no less valid although the only merchant I've ever seen check that was Best Buy when my roommate bought a few DVD's. I used my CC for several days before I signed it. the cashiers had to see that it was unsigned, I made no real attempt to hide it.
Posts: 61 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Matt, indeed the merchant can take it but they don't have to. I steadfastly refused to take any unsigned card way back when I worked in that sort of area. In fact, take a look at the back of your card, under or just above the signature box, you'll see that it says "AUTHORIZED SIGNATURE - NOT VALID UNLESS SIGNED."

I agree, too few cashiers pay attention but they should not and do not have to, take an unsigned card. And you should not leave your cards unsigned. Think about it. If you lose the card, all the person who finds it has to do is sign your name. Then when (if) a cashier compares it, gee it matches. Same with "See ID." If you lose it, the bad guy finds it, has a fake id made with your name and his picture and when(if) the cashier checks, again, it matches. The whole fake id thing really does happen. A lot. When a friend of mine had checks stolen, the police found four or five fake ids the guy was using for her checks. They are apparently easy to get if you know how.

Honestly, I wish that whole photo on your credit card thing had caught on. Probably the best way to help stop fraud.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess banks feel photos on CC's is too expensive. After all if fraud is reported, the just take the money off of the merchant and give them a fine too so they only lose minimal amounts and the customer (if he has fraud protection) gets the money back and is happy. To have photo credit cards they'd have to spend more printing the cars, have photo's on file that need updating every so often etc...
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guess banks feel photos on CC's is too expensive.
Not at all. Our bank volunteered to replace our old cards with new photo-bearing credit cards, even though we hadn't asked for it.

I still get clerks who reflexively ask me, "Can I see some ID please?" after I hand them my VISA card. I just point at the card and say, "That's me."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My bank started doing the photo cards back in 1994. And that's the date of the photo they're still using on my card. It's a nice photo, but it doesn't look that much like me now. I suppose I should go in for a new one someday.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

the "can I see some ID" thing when I was over in America for a holiday was a joke. I used my Uni ID card which is the easiest thing in the universe to fake (heck even a real one looks fake) and they took it as real every time. Chip and Pin is far more secure

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages