snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Funeral home sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funeral home sign
swollen_ostrich
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swollen_ostrich   E-mail swollen_ostrich   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this in my email today - it's an old one, but with slightly different wording than usual...

"WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000

AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN WITH A SINGLE AMERICAN"

This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in Philadelphia. You are probably outraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement. One would think that anti-hate groups from all across the country would be marching on this business . . .. and that the National Guard might have to be called to keep the angry crowds back.

But, perhaps in these stressful times one might be tempted to let the proprietors simply make their statement . . We are a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty ...

And after all, it is just a sign.

You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign?

Answer: A Funeral Home (Who said morticians had no sense of humor?)

You gotta love it!!!

[ 13. July 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: snopes ]

Posts: 96 | From: Saint Louis, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it's just a joke, but talking realistically... I have had more experience with funeral homes in the past few months than I would have preferred, and I can't imagine a funeral home ever posting any kind of joke sign "in the window." Funeral home directors are experts at being respectful and appropriate in their business.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like this joke, and I don't think any funeral home would put up a sign like this.

But I did see a chuckler over the holiday weekend.
On the back of a big 18wheeler, "Drive safe, heaven will wait." It was a casket company trailer.

Well, I thought it was funny.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard with her nose in a spellbook
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. In general, funeral homes/directors do their best to be extremely respectful. However, I have seen a bad joke here and there at funeral homes (if I can actually remember them, it will probably make me sound more credible [Razz] ).
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fledibat
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fledibat   E-mail fledibat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by swollen_ostrich:

"WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000 AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN WITH A SINGLE AMERICAN"

You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign?

Answer: A Funeral Home (Who said morticians had no sense of humor?)

same-discussion-last-year-a-chow
Posts: 239 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Funeral-home-a-chow

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages