snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Guns vs. Doctors (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guns vs. Doctors
Pretty Punks Hate Vday
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Scary Doctor Facts
This is really something to think about:
A. The number of physicians in the US is 700,000
B. Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year is 120,000
C. Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171 (US Dept of Health & Human
Services).
Then think about this:
A. The number of gun owners in the US is 80,000,000.
B. The number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) is 1,500.
C. The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .0000188.
Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than
gun owners.
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors
before this gets out of hand.
As a public health measure I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for
fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical attention.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And yet, I trust my doctor more than a gun when I'm sick.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DerekT
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DerekT   E-mail DerekT   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So how many non-accidental death with guns as compaired to doctors? And how many doctors have been used in the commision of a crime?
Posts: 547 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DerekT:
And how many doctors have been used in the commision of a crime?

Ask Rush.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My doctor's hobby is shooting. I guess I'm doomed.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, only if you are both patient AND target

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Blue   E-mail Dark Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elbe, feelin' the love:
And yet, I trust my doctor more than a gun when I'm sick.

Agreed, however when I'm being attacked and have to defend myself I trust my gun more than my doctor for that. He is rather elderly and I don't think quite as effective.

--------------------
I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. -- On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

Posts: 675 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Something to note: by law, doctors must be licensed, but they have not been outlawed and confiscated yet.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DerekT:
So how many non-accidental death with guns as compaired to doctors?

Some thousand vs. Several tens of thousands, if you count foeti, considerably less if you don't.

Not counting doctors who use guns to kill people.

It's a spurious comparison, really.

OTOH,
Q: What do you call a med student who gets a 60% on his final exams?

A: Doctor.

The medical profession really needs better quality control. It'd keep the malpractice suits (and thusly the cost of healthcare) down.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is foeti?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And of the 120,000 people accidently killed by doctors is that all malpractice?

Sorry I still think guns are dangerous, and need to be kept with trigger locks.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the actual number of people getting "attacked" has been confabulated.

Either that, or I, and everybody I know are just the luckiest people on earth.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chiajedi hates valentine's day.

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rhiandmoi sitting in the tree:
What is foeti?

Plural of fetus. Or foetus if you don't type in American.
mizake the mizan

is it pick on doctors day?

quote:
"Why Lawyers are Better than Doctors"

Lawyers provide an optional service. If you wish to obtain legal assitance, you hire a lawyer. However, you are also free to research the law and defend yourself if you so choose.

Dcotors have formed a cartel to make their service mandatory. You must see a doctor to obtain a perscription. You are not allowed to do your own research and choose your own treatment.

LadyMoose, The Dateless Wonder

Icon 81 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OTOH,
Q: What do you call a med student who gets a 60% on his final exams?

A: Doctor.

Because we all know that Med school is very easy, and those who do average in med school make very poor doctors.  -
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another shocking fact: the medical treatment approximately half of Americans recieve is below the national average.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Blue   E-mail Dark Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angl Hearts and Minds Rdr:
I think that the actual number of people getting "attacked" has been confabulated.

I am happy for you, and wish you and everybody you know your continued luck. I wish people did't get attacked but unfortunately it does happen.

--------------------
I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. -- On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs by LTC. Dave Grossman, USA (Ret)

Posts: 675 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
Something to note: by law, doctors must be licensed, but they have not been outlawed and confiscated yet.

Yes, but their arn't organizations with the opinion that by their very design, doctors are extremely dangerous and about to kill a lot of innocent people. Their arn't organizations that are actively attempting to pass legislation to outlaw certain types of doctors because even though they are still just doctors nobody really needs these particular kind. I don't recall doctors being constitutionaly protected.

--------------------

Elkhound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Blue:
[QUOTE] Their arn't organizations that are actively attempting to pass legislation to outlaw certain types of doctors because even though they are still just doctors nobody really needs these particular kind.

Tell that to your local chiropracter, homeopath, or naturopath.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mizake the mizan:
is it pick on doctors day?

quote:
"Why Lawyers are Better than Doctors"

Lawyers provide an optional service. If you wish to obtain legal assitance, you hire a lawyer. However, you are also free to research the law and defend yourself if you so choose.

Dcotors have formed a cartel to make their service mandatory. You must see a doctor to obtain a perscription. You are not allowed to do your own research and choose your own treatment.

Actually, it's perfectly legal for you to perform surgery on yourself. However, like defending yourself in a felony trial, it's a really bad idea.

Silas

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Jam

As that old saying goes:
"A man who performs open-heart surgery on himself has a fool for a patient."
Or something like that.

Blue Jam

Specious argument - it's the non-accidental gun deaths that are the big problem. Number of deliberate doctor deaths is quite small.

* The accidental doctor deaths happen while the doctor is trying to save your life,
* The accidental gun deaths are when someone hasn't locked their gun up properly or cleans it without checking it ain't loaded.

Hardly a comparison.

How's about

* how many lives doctors save vs how many guns save.
* UK deaths from guns vs US deaths from guns.

Bulldon

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jam:
The accidental gun deaths are when someone hasn't locked their gun up properly or cleans it without checking it ain't loaded.

ive never understood how you can clean a gun while its loaded, it just doesnt work that way. i always though that that excuse was given buy people that were being stupid.
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
quote:

I am happy for you, and wish you and everybody you know your continued luck. I wish people did't get attacked but unfortunately it does happen.
I'm not saying that people don't get attacked. I am saying that I don't think that guns save quite the number of people from attacks as some would have us believe.

--------------------

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldon:
ive never understood how you can clean a gun while its loaded, it just doesnt work that way.

With all the guns I've handled, the first step in cleaning opens the chamber.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jam:
How's about
[...]* UK deaths from guns vs US deaths from guns.

Not a truly valid comparison. A better one would be of every country over a series of years. That would prevent someone from manipulating the data by purposefully comparing a country with a low crime rate for a given year with a country with a high crime rate. You'd also need to separate deaths from legal guns from deaths from illegal guns (and probably also have to separate law enforcement usage out).

It's about the same as comparing a year where the UK suffered heavily from terrorist attacks to a year the US was free of terrorist attacks and concluding that the monarchy, tea, or something else uniquely UK leads to terrorism.

--------------------

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

quote:

You and your friends are not a statistical sample. You and your friends may live in an area that is relatively violent crime-free.

Or as one person put it when Nixon or Reagan was elected, "No one I know voted for him".

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Jason, I was explaining specfically about the numbers of attacked people being saved because they were packing heat. The DoJ Uniform Crime Report doesn't require LEOs to record that data, so I have a hard time believing the numbers given by the NRA.

IOW, their anecdotes are no more valid than mine.

--------------------

Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
Another shocking fact: the medical treatment approximately half of Americans recieve is below the national average.

I have to admit to being outraged by this. It's time we did something to make all health care above the national average. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynestria

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynestria   E-mail Cynestria   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
quote:
[QUOTE] Their arn't organizations that are actively attempting to pass legislation to outlaw certain types of doctors because even though they are still just doctors nobody really needs these particular kind.

Tell that to your local chiropracter, homeopath, or naturopath.
Well, as soon as someone manages to convince me that a homeopath/naturopath/the kind of chiropractor who gives the rest a bad name by claiming that prodding your spine will cure all known diseases is a doctor in any sense other than that they call themselves one, we'll take that up.

I could go out tomorrow and start telling people that if I whack them in the face with a newspaper it will cure all their ills, and there will be people who will believe it, but that won't make me a doctor, or my treatment proper medical practice.

Posts: 3700 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christopher
Peruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher   Author's Homepage   E-mail Christopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cynestria:
[...] I could go out tomorrow and start telling people that if I whack them in the face with a newspaper it will cure all their ills, and there will be people who will believe it, but that won't make me a doctor, or my treatment proper medical practice.

My doctor used to hit me in the face with a newspaper all the time. That's the main reason I stopped going to a vet.

--------------------
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." ~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Posts: 1382 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

I would rather be treated by a vet than by a doctor, I think they generally know more about what they are doing. Havn't actually put it to the test though. Still go see my doctor on a regular basis.

Angl hearts- I would like to refer you to the Armed Citizen section of the NRA's publications. Rather than simply relay stories sent to them by memebers, it seems that they are exerpts from newspapers which should be varifiable one way or the other.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Newspaper reports are still anecdotal evidence.

--------------------

Dark Blue
The First USA Noel

quote:
Newspaper reports are still anecdotal evidence.

Yes but should still be varifiable if the incident actually happened or not.

Are not newspapr articles one of the first steps we take here to determine if something is true or not? I'm certainly not suggesting we stop there by any means, but it is a jumping off point.

--------------------

spam me, slam me

If I break my leg, find a funny looking infection on my skin, or notice that I suddenly grew a third testacle overnight, I'll take my chances with the doctor. If I don't like what they say, I'll go to the gun for a second opinion.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages