snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Telemarketing Slow Down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telemarketing Slow Down
just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For your comment, critique and possible bookachow (but I did try to look!).

I know for sure that I get very few postage paid envelopes any more.

Lisa

quote:
Telemarketing slow down.

Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold On, Please..." Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt. Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Since doing this, my phone calls have decreased dramatically. (never heard of this before)

(3) Another Good Idea: When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away. When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope. Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 37 cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back. It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes, make sure your name isn't on anything you send them. You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing!

Eventually, the banks and credit card companies will begin getting their own junk back in the mail. Lets let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea!

If enough people follow these tips, it will work---- I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

THIS JUST MIGHT BE ONE E-MAIL THAT YOU WILL WANT TO FORWARD TO YOUR FRIENDS.

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, the feathered serpent
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home.
I did not know that - that explains a lot of calls, actually.

My mom has been very paranoid that these "silent" calls meant someone was casing the house prior to a burglary.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fiona, Queen of the Dessert

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And we do send back our junk mail in the postage paid envelopes. When we are feeling really evil, we mix and match, so company A has to deal with company B's junk.

I wonder if that silence thing is true? I just assumed I was expected to wait until someone came on the line. I don't wait one someone is calling me.

Crafty Kremes and Coffee

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to start sending my junk mail back like that. Who knows if it will make the companies do anything, but it would probably make me feel better. I have seen this before somewhere.

When I get a telemarketer, I give the phone to my 2 year old and let her babble. We got one the other day who asked to talk to the single resident in the home - so of course I gave them to Maddy. They seem to get pretty annoyed when I do that.

Also with caller ID, some companies still don't have their names blocked, and we will answer it, for example: Caller ID says American Roofing - we answer "American Roofing, how can I help you?" It really throws them for a loop.

Crafty "Please make the ringing noise stop!" Kremes

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home.

Actually, this is not the best explanation. The no one on the line symdrome is the result of how the calls are made. Telemarketing is not a bunch of people punching buttons on phones until their fingers are raw. It's all done by computer, using something called "predictive dialing." The computer is told how long each call is expected to take or, in the most sophistcated operations, the computer monitors calls & computes a realtime average. The computer then dials new numbers based on its prediction of how often a telemarketer will be free to take the call. Since it's more important that the telemarketers not be idle than to worry about calling too many people, the computer adds a fudge factor and dials a little too frequently. So what happens is, the computer dials a number. When someone answers (and the computer can recognize a fax, modem, or answering machine) the computer transfers the call to the next available marketer. If no marketer is available, the computer hangs up. That's why you sometimes get a call and find yourself saying "hello, hello" until finally someone comes on. It's the computer finding an available marketer.

However, the more sophisticated outfits do collect data on what time of day they reached you. If you actually answer the phone and then hang up, the computer may count that as a real call.

If you want to find out how telemarketing works & what you can really do, check out Junkbusters

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, this is not the best explanation.
And even if it were, the idea that pressing the # key several times will "confuse the machine that dialed the call and it kick your number out of their system" is likely nothing more than wishful thinking. Worst case, the system would probably chalk it up as a no response, and they'd just call again some other time.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it still legal to use a recording to telemarket? Is it a state issue? That's the only kind of call that makes it through my Sprint Privacy ID - the recording blythely babbles on while the Privacy ID message plays, and then part of the message gets recorded where the person is supposed to say their name. Then, it rings through to me, telling me I have a call from "-age of this great offer, please call 999-555-"

I really wish that was illegal. If you're going to waste my time with this garbage, at least let some poor schlep make a couple of bucks an hour to actually talk to people. Bastards.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I can say is that since the beginning of the year it seems that telemarketers are in a frenzy... I get home every night and there are ten or more calls on my caller ID that are "UNAVAILABLE", which are usually the telemarketers. Then the calls start again around 6PM.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Bee:
All I can say is that since the beginning of the year it seems that telemarketers are in a frenzy... I get home every night and there are ten or more calls on my caller ID that are "UNAVAILABLE", which are usually the telemarketers. Then the calls start again around 6PM.

Even worse -- for some reason my answering machine keeps recording even after the telemarketer has hung up, so I frequently come home to a machine full of "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again . . . " messages.

OT: This American Life oncec interviewed a guy who had worked as a telemarketer. He described what he called some surreal experiences where he found himself on the line with his own friends or family members and my favorite -- his own answering machine.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 01 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
Is it still legal to use a recording to telemarket?

I don't know if this is legal or not, but this is only type of TM call I will listen to. Usually, at the end of the call, you will have to press a number if you are "interested". Which of course I do. Then when they call me back, you have a couple of options.

1. Don't answer. (It's a person calling you back usually and they will try again).

2. Answer then "get" another call on call waiting.

3. Be just going out the door, could you call back later.

Usually after 3 or 4 phone calls they stop. But I feel I have extracted a bit of revenge even if it doesn't do any good.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 603 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Kremes and Coffee:
...When I get a telemarketer, I give the phone to my 2 year old and let her babble. We got one the other day who asked to talk to the single resident in the home - so of course I gave them to Maddy. They seem to get pretty annoyed when I do that.

How about trying that with a certain Dil Pickles (per Rugrats), especially when he has to say "POOOOOOPIE!!!!"? THAT will certainly surprise many a shocked telemarketer!!

quote:
Also with caller ID, some companies still don't have their names blocked, and we will answer it, for example: Caller ID says American Roofing - we answer "American Roofing, how can I help you?" It really throws them for a loop.

Which they no doubt deserve--even to the point of driving them madder than a certain Debbie Thornberry under certain situations, especially where Donnie is involved....

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is *one* type of telemarketing that offends me greatly...

Dring, dring!
-Hello?
-(recorded voice)Please hold. One of our agent will be with you in a moment.
-(wait)
-Hello sir, we are a-
-*expletive* off.
Click.

Nothing like someone calling you and asking you to wait for *HIM* to get on the line.

The only thing that keeps me from saying very nasty things to these people is the fact that the agents are probably sick of their own job anyway. (If you've never worked in a call center before, the percentage of people being replaced every month is roughly the same as in the average fast-food restaurant...)

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages