snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Target doesn't support troops (Morph)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Target doesn't support troops (Morph)
Nuggie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 209 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend sent me this asking if it was real. I sent her the snopes page Here
the version she sent me had some additions, so I though I'd share. The first line I assume is a note from her.

More of the Liz Claiborne is a satanist thing?

NO MORE BUYING FROM TARGET STORES FOR US.

Vietnam Veterans Association By Dick Forrey

We asked our local Target store to be a sponsor of the Vietnam
Veterans Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event. We received
back a reply from Target management that
"veterans do not meet our area of giving. We only donate to the
areas of the arts, social actions, gay and lesbian causes, and
education."

My thought: If the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans
in general, do not meet their donation criteria, something is wrong at
Target. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds,
but simply sponsorship of an endorsement for a memorial remembrance.

As follow-up, I E-mailed the corporate headquarters and their
response was the same. Personally, I will NOT be purchasing anything at
Target Stores again. If the Vietnam Veteran or Veterans in general do
not meet their area of giving, then why should I, as a Vietnam veteran,
spend my hard earned money in their stores?

Please pass this on to as many people as you know.

Sincerely,
Veterans Helping Veterans (TARGET IS FRENCH OWNED WHAT WOULD YOU
EXPECT)

PS: Target will also not allow the Marines to collect for "Toys
For Tots" during the holidays.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BCE

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sincerely,
Veterans Helping Veterans (TARGET IS FRENCH OWNED WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT)

Ah, the truth is exposed! Those rascally frenchies! That's why you'll sometimes hear people pronounce the store "tar-zhay": they are in on the Franco-conspiracy!

BCE (le chapeau de tin)

MamaBird
We Three Blings

Icon 207 posted      Profile for MamaBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hijack

Whenever I hear the words "Target Iraq!" proclaimed on a news broadcast, I always think, "Where Osama buys his dishtowels."

/hijack

--------------------
It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate.

Posts: 1034 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faye Valentine

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O-K....

This letter is complete BS started by someone who hates Target, the one I live by is a staunch supporter of veterans, as well as troops who are fighting now. Either the location you're living by is a group of anti-millitary hoseheads, or you're thinking of wal-Mart (possibly K-Mart before they went under). My Target supports our troops and veterans just fine.

Nuggie

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Faye Valentine:
O-K....

This letter is complete BS started by someone who hates Target

Riiight. That's probably why I linked to the snopes page regarding the letter. I was just pointing out the new additions to the letter (gays and lesbians, French and Toys for tots and a couple other things) as it lived its life on the Interweb. I thought people might be interested in seeing that. I guess putting a link to the debunking page and having the word Morph in the topic wasn't enough.
Invader Fen

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nuggie,

Don't be upset. I don't think Fay Valentine was trying to make you look bad or saying you thought it was real or anything. Lots of people just like to react to the text of these petitions and requests for boycotts and such. I do it all the time myself [Big Grin]

Although perhaps had you added a wee bit of commentary after the letter, it would have been nice. I myself couldn't tell what the differences were until you pointed them out in your most recent post. I have a terrible memory for details and things.

Happy snopesing!

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MamaBoid:
hijack

Whenever I hear the words "Target Iraq!" proclaimed on a news broadcast, I always think, "Where Osama buys his dishtowels."

/hijack

MamaBoid.... this was a literal YOMANK! I got Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard and desk!

Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nuggie

quote:
Originally posted by Invader Fen:

Although perhaps had you added a wee bit of commentary after the letter, it would have been nice. I myself couldn't tell what the differences were until you pointed them out in your most recent post. I have a terrible memory for details and things.

Happy snopesing!

Well I put my commentary before the letter. I purposely didn't point out the differences so that people could research it for themselves. Open both windows and compare and contrast. There will be a quiz later.

Actually, I've noticed in the past that when I make too many comments, people pick those to death and ignore my point.

But you are correct, I overreacted. I apologize to you and to Faye Valentine for my poor reaction.

BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 606 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nuggie:
I was just pointing out the new additions to the letter (gays and lesbians, French and Toys for tots and a couple other things) as it lived its life on the Interweb. I thought people might be interested in seeing that.

Nuggie,
Count me in as one of those who is very interested in how these things morph. For example, that's why I started this thread, which is a very early morph of the actual version discussed on the main ULRP. I'm fascinated how they change to better reflect the feelings and opinions of the typical serial forwarder. The differences in the version you received were obvious to me; however, I worked as an editor for over six years so my experience might not be typical. [Wink]
Anyway, welcome to the board! [Cool]
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pdjudd

whoever penned the article obvoiusly flunked history becasuse Target is about as American as you can get - Dayton (a minnesota guy) merged with hudsons (from detroit). Yea i know its a re-hash of an old ul but come on, thats jsut plain dumb.......
MamaBird
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for MamaBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Atlanta Jake wrote:
MamaBoid.... this was a literal YOMANK! I got Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard and desk!

Awww -- my first YOMANK! Thanks, Jake! [Smile]

--------------------
It takes a sexually stimulated man to make a chicken affectionate.

Posts: 1034 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lola

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People are total idiots, I'm sorry the only people that this Target, French boycotting hurts is the American Business owner! Here in New York City, many French resturants have had to lay their staff off or have had to close because business is so poor. And what many of these people don't realise is a lot of these resturants and shops are owned by AMERICANS!!!!!!!

My mom owns a gourmet food shop out on Long Island and she sells these crackers that are in the shape of a maple leaf and this one woman who came into the store and brought some dips and crackers and she refused to buy the maple leaf crackers because the maple leaf is the symbol on Canada's flag and in Canada they have French Canadians. This is no joke, this is how stupid people are and how silly all this boycotting has gotten.

Then she had another woman come in looking to buy some cooking oil and she wouldn't buy the cheeper, better brand because it was French. [Roll Eyes]

Ms Stressssssssa

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good topic, Nuggie.

I have also received the updated version of this letter (on a listserv), and when I posted the link to snopes explaining it, people nitpicked about "well, they did turn down the original request...". I explained that grantmakers frequently focus their giving (so that it has more impact), and that doesn't make them evil, then I gave up. These are the same morons that justify re-sending the "monkeyman" and "slavemaster" warnings by saying "it's a useful warning, even if it's not 100% true." GAH!

Rant over, I just had to share. Maybe people think Target is French (or supportive of gay causes) because their merchandise is stylish. Morons.

Leaves more good merchandise for me, suckers! - Stressa

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages