snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Niemann-Marcus Cookie Recipe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Niemann-Marcus Cookie Recipe
Smooth Lou
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this from my girlfriend; not sure if it's been debunked lately... I haven't been around enough to notice.

quote:

My daughter and I had just finished a salad at a
Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas, and we decided to
have a small dessert. Because both of us are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the "Neiman-Marcus cookie.

It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe, and the waitress said with a
small frown, "I'm afraid not, but you can buy the
recipe."

Well, I asked how much, and she responded,
"Only two fifty-it's a great deal!" I agreed to
that, and told her to just add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement,
and the Neiman-Marcus charge was $285.00! I looked
again, and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for
two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said,
"Cookie Recipe-$250.00". That was outrageous!

I called Neiman's Accounting Department and told
them the waitress said it was "two fifty", which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty
dollars" by any reasonable interpretation of the
phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would
not refund my money because, according to them,
"What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money at this point." I explained to the Accounting Department lady the criminal statues which govern fraud in the state of Texas.
I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau and the Texas Attorney General's
office for engaging in fraud. I was basically told, Do what you want. Don't bother thinking of how you can get even, and don't bother trying to get any of your money back." I just said, "Okay, you folks got my $250, and now I'm going to have $250 worth of fun."

I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the United States with an
e-mail account has a $250 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus...for free. She replied, "I wish
you wouldn't do this." I said, "Well, perhaps you
should have thought of that before you ripped
me off!" and slammed down the phone.

So here it is! Please, please, please pass
it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid $250 for this, and I don't want Neiman-Marcus to EVER make another penny off of this recipe!
NEIMAN-MARCUS COOKIES (Recipe may be halved)
> > > > 2 cups butter
> > > > 24 oz.chocolate chips
> > > > 4 cups flour
> > > > 2 cups brown sugar
> > > > 2 tsp. soda
> > > > 1 tsp. salt
> > > > 1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
> > > > 5 cups blended oatmeal
> > > > 2 tsp. baking powder
> > > > 4 eggs
> > > > 2 tsp. vanilla
> > > > 3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
> > > > Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to
> a
> fine
> > > > powder. Cream the butter and both sugars.
> Add
> eggs
> > > > and vanilla, mix together with flour,
> oatmeal,
> > > > salt,
> > > > baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate
> chips,
> > > > Hershey
> > > > Bar, and nuts. Roll into balls, and place
> two
> > > > inches
> > > > apart on a cookie sheet.
> > > >
> > > > Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes
> 112
> > > > cookies.
> > > >
> > > > PLEASE READ THE RECIPE AND SEND IT TO EVERY
> PERSON
> > > > YOU KNOW WHO HAS AN E-MAIL ADDRESS!
> > > >
> > > > THIS IS REALLY TERRIFIC!!

Even if it's not true, they sound like delicious cookies!

Smooth "Sorry it's so long!" Lou

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is actually one of the golden oldies of UL-dom--it goes back to the 1940s. Take a look at (Costs a) Fortune Cookie
Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This story has bothered me more & more the longer I live in TX. Stanley Marcus, son of one of the founders of Neiman-Marcus was, by all accounts, a really nice guy. He often said that if you sold someone something they didn't like, no matter how much profit you made, it was a bad sale. That doesn't sound to me like a guy that would try to cheat & squeeze a few pennies out of people by selling a $250 cookie recipe.
OK, end rant!

Mor 'free cookies!'-gaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JuJu

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a long time UL fan and I first heard this type when "Red-Velvet Cake" was circulated as a snail mail chain letter. My question--are there any newer versions of this type since this one or its brethren featuring Mrs. Fields for Famous Amos? I don't think Herman Cake qualifies as it has to be accompanied by a sour-dough starter.
I tried posting this on the Food board but got no response except reference to this type.
Thanks, JuJu

Smooth Lou

quote:
Originally posted by Kathy Don't B.Cruel:
This is actually one of the golden oldies of UL-dom--it goes back to the 1940s. Take a look at (Costs a) Fortune Cookie

d'oh! I knew I had heard this before! Thanks Kathy and others!

Smooth "I love this site" Lou

turtlepoop747

A woman I used to work with made cookies from this receipe, and they were fabulous! [Big Grin]
MilkyWay Midway Bill

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by turtlepoop747:
A woman I used to work with made cookies from this receipe, and they were fabulous! [Big Grin]

Would you really trust a recipe from an anonymous email? How do you know someone (like me) wouldn't add:
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Colon Cleaner hot sauce
[Big Grin]

Midway "wouldn't boil water from a web recipe" Bill

Kiwibird

quote:
Originally posted by turtlepoop747:

To each their own. I think they're seriously inferior to good old-fashoned Toll House
Cookies. What with the bad taste the whole stupid story leaves in my mouth, I'd
just rather say no, thanks.

Phildonnia Cream Cheese

It is a very good cookie recipe.

In fact, I wanted to get the rights to it myself, but N-M told me that they didn't sell the recipe, and that it was a hoax. In fact, they insist that they didn't even sell cookies until after the alleged hoax became widely known.

But at last, I have found a possible gleam of hope:

Smooth Lou: will you please ask your girlfriend to put me in touch with the original sender? I will be happy to reimburse the money she feels she is owed by those bastards at N-M; and I'll throw in another $250 for profit.

For your trouble, I will also pay you a 10% finder's fee.

I'll just need some kind of proof of title; the credit card chit showing "Cookie Recipe $250" would suffice.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages