snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Inboxer Rebellion Archive » Contributions to civilization: Arabs vs. Jews

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contributions to civilization: Arabs vs. Jews
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Contributions to civilization: Arabs vs. Jews

The Contribution of Muslims to civilization:

19.6% of World's Population
1.2 Billion Muslims

Nobel Prize Winners:

Literature

1957 - Albert Camus
1988 - Najib Mahfooz

Peace

1978 - Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat
1994 - Yasser Arafat

Chemistry

1990 - Elias James Corey
1999 - Ahmed Zewail

Medicine

1960 Peter Brian Medawar
1998 Ferid Mourad

The Contribution of the Jewish People:

0.2% OF WORLD'S POPULATION
14.1 Million Jews

NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS:

Literature

1910 - Paul Heyse
1927 - Henri Bergson
1958 - Boris Pasternak
1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon
1966 - Nelly Sachs
1976 - Saul Bellow
1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer
1981 - Elias Canetti
1987 - Joseph Brodsky
1991 - Nadine Gordimer

World Peace

1911 - Alfred Fried
1911 - Tobias Michael Carel Asser
1968 - Rene Cassin
1973 - Henry Kissinger
1978 - Menachem Begin
1986 - Elie Wiesel
1994 - Shimon Peres
1994 - Yitzhak Rabin

Chemistry

1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
1906 - Henri Moissan
1910 - Otto Wallach
1915 - Richard Willstaetter
1918 - Fritz Haber
1943 - George Charles de Hevesy
1961 - Melvin Calvin
1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
1972 - William Howard Stein
1977 - Ilya Prigogine
1979 - Herbert Charles Brown
1980 - Paul Berg
1980 - Walter Gilbert
1981 - Roald Hoffmann
1982 - Aaron Klug
1985 - Albert A. Hauptman
1985 - Jerome Karle
1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach
1988 - Robert Huber
1989 - Sidney Altman
1992 - Rudolph Marcus
2000 - Alan J. Heeger

Economics

1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson
1971 - Simon Kuznets
1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow
1975 - Leonid Kantorovich
1976 - Milton Friedman
1978 - Herbert A. Simon
1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein
1985 - Franco Modigliani
1987 - Robert M. Solow
1990 - Harry Markowitz
1990 - Merton Miller
1992 - Gary Becker
1993 - Rober Fogel

Medicine

1908 - Elie Metchnikoff
1908 - Paul Erlich
1914 - Robert Barany
1922 - Otto Meyerhof
1930 - Karl Landsteiner
1931 - Otto Warburg
1936 - Otto Loewi
1944 - Joseph Erlanger
1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
1952 - Selman Abraham Waksman
1953 - Hans Krebs
1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann
1958 - Joshua Lederberg
1959 - Arthur Kornberg
1964 - Konrad Bloch
1965 - Francois Jacob
1965 - Andre Lwoff
1967 - George Wald
1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg
1969 - Salvador Luria
1970 - Julius Axelrod
1970 - Sir Bernard Katz
1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
1975 - David Baltimore
1975 - Howard Martin Temin
1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg
1977 - Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
1978 - Daniel Nathans
1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
1984 - Cesar Milstein
1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein
1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]
1988 - Gertrude Elion
1989 - Harold Varmus
1991 - Erwin Neher
1991 - Bert Sakmann
1993 - Richard J. Roberts
1993 - Phillip Sharp
1994 - Alfred Gilman
1995 - Edward B. Lewis

Physics

1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
1921 - Albert Einstein
1922 - Niels Bohr
1925 - James Franck
1925 - Gustav Hertz
1943 - Gustav Stern
1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
1952 - Felix Bloch
1954 - Max Born
1958 - Igor Tamm
1959 - Emilio Segre
1960 - Donald A. Glaser
1961 - Robert Hofstadter
1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman
1965 - Julian Schwinger
1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
1971 - Dennis Gabor
1973 - Brian David Josephson
1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
1976 - Burton Richter
1978 - Arno Allan Penzias
1978 - Peter L. Kapitza
1979 - Stephen Weinberg
1979 - Sheldon Glashow
1988 - Leon Lederman
1988 - Melvin Schwartz
1988 - Jack Steinberger
1990 - Jerome Friedman
1995 - Martin Perl

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom-Tzu
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Clever sleight of hand there, counting all Muslims as Arabs. According to what I've been able to find, there are only around 200 million native speakers of Arabic in the world, not 1.2 billion.

Also, when it comes to contributions to global civilization, I think we should at least acknowledge that most of the classics of Greek antiquity (Plato, Aristotle...) survived only because Arabic scholars still cared about reading while the Roman Empire collapsed.

Mathematics and astronomy are full of Arab contributions. Try inventing calculus without algebra...

Who sent you this garbage, snopes?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eminster@work

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was Irish monks copying all those manuscripts???
Tom-Tzu

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eminster@work:
I thought it was Irish monks copying all those manuscripts???

I think that came later. Most of the medieval scholastics were working with copies of Plato and Aristotle that had come through Arabic sources, and Arabic commentators like Averroes and Avicenna contributed some original thought as well.

I could be wrong about this; it's a long time since I took medieval philosophy. But in any case, there's no denying the significant contributions of the Arabs to world culture. Not to downplay the contributions of Jews, mind you. Just that the bit snopes posted at the beginning of this thread was pretty bad.

Dan the Seeker

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering when/how the Nobel Prize has become such a watermark of civilization.

Is it really that prestigious? I know that many people have serious doubts about the winners of the Peace Prizes...

I know the Navel Research Lab, where I used to work, had a Nobel Prize winner in chemistry. They were hugely proud of him and used him as a PR tool.

--Dan

PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite sure of the purpose of the post. The Jews and Arabs both outnumber the Irish on the list. Does that imply that I'm from an inferior race? Didn't we do enough for humanity by giving the world St. Patrick's Day?

Actually, if you look at the list, a lot of those identified as Jews are also Americans. Maybe doing your work in a language the voters on the Nobel committee can read has something to do with winning the prize. Of course that still does not let us Irish off as poor performers.

Also, I wonder how many of those on the "Jewish list" would appreciate having their work described as the contribution of Jews to civilization. I would think many of them would have considered themselves as working for the advancement of humanity, rather than simply trying to be "a credit to their race" as sportscasters used to say. A lot of Jews I grew up with were very wary of anyone making claims about being a superior race for any ethnic group.

BTW, can we have other ethnic rivalry matchups like English v. Irish in the baseball hall of fame. How about Whites v. Blacks in the U.S. Senate? Hmm, I wonder what that would prove.

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the Seeker:
I've been wondering when/how the Nobel Prize has become such a watermark of civilization.

Is it really that prestigious? I know that many people have serious doubts about the winners of the Peace Prizes...
--Dan

The Peace Prize lost any prestige it might have had the day it was given to Henry Kissinger.

Pogue "peace with honor?" Mahone

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lugh the Lurker

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nobel Prize Winners:

Literature

1957 - Albert Camus
1988 - Najib Mahfooz

Nitpick: Camus can't be considered an Arab or a Muslim. He was French Algerian, born of European parents. While he was a strong critic of French colonialism, his attitude towards Algerian Arabs was rather ambivalent.

It's even more absurd to suggest he was Muslim, for, as any reader of "The Stranger" can tell you, he wasn't too keen on religion (although I think the writer of the posted list was trying to fit him in as an Arab).

Lugh "In depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer" the Lurker

(edited after realizing that, in honor of Camus, I should have used the word "absurd" somewhere in my post [Smile] )

Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Contributions to civilization: Arabs vs. Jews

The Contribution of Muslims to civilization:

19.6% of World's Population
1.2 Billion Muslims

Nobel Prize Winners:

Literature

1957 - Albert Camus

Albert Camus was an Arab? A Muslim? If being born in an Arab/Muslim country makes you an Arab (his father was French, his mother Spanish), and being born in a Muslim country makes you a Muslim (he was brought up Roman Catholic but became an atheist) then then several of the "Arabs" aren't really Arabs (Elias James Corey, born in Massachusetts, USA, grandson of Lebanese Christian immigrants and Peter Brian Medawar, born in Brazil, father a Lebanese with British citizenship, lived in England, for example), and very few of the "Jews" are Jewish (Henri Bergson, born in Paris of a Jewish father and an English mother, Nelly Sachs, born in Berlin, lives in Sweden, Nadine Gordimer, born and lives in South Africa, Lithuanian Jewish father, English mother, for example).

Of course, these examples aren't really fair because there wasn't a Jewish state until relatively recently. But to me what this list shows is how very silly racism is. Most of us are mixed: we have ancestors from different places, we live in places other than those in which we were born, our language is not our ancestors' language. Arguing over whether someone is Arab or Jewish should be as pointless as arguing over whether an English person is Norman, Saxon or Celtic (or whether their ancestors were Anglicans, Catholics or Druids).

These people won the Nobel prize because of what they achieved, not because of where they were born or where their ancestors were born.

Kate "bah! humbug!" S

Edit: Oops, sorry, simulpost on Camus.

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

Peace

1978 - Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat
1994 - Yasser Arafat

I guess that online petition hasn't hit 1 million signatures just yet.... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages