snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Mystery Phone Call from Nebraska

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mystery Phone Call from Nebraska
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment:
Mystery Phone Call from Nebraska

Was wondering why a rash of cell phones are being called by a Nebraska
number 402-952-4444. They have called me 5-6 times a week and never leave
a message. When I googled the number it showed up on a forum
http://www.payphone-project.com/bbs/messages/66/8833.html?SundayMay2920050433pm
where other people were complaining about this happening to them and
mostly cell phones. They say they are a Gallup poll with Wal-mart,
Discover, and SunTrust Bank.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a call from an odd phone number a couple of years ago, I'm pretty sure the area code was Nebraska too. I tried looking it up - it turned out to be a number that often shows up on Caller ID or *69 when someone makes a call with a calling card. (Maybe it's the phone number you call to enter your code in for the card?)

Since a lot of people on that message board were talking about the calls being various scams, my guess is that this is the same case.

One person said they were going to try to call the number - but they didn't post again.

Eve "Where's Dark Dan when you need him?" MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"thanks for calling gallup...home of the gallup poll..the oldest most trusted..yada yada..."

"if this number showed up on your caller ID, a gallup member was calling to ask your opinion..."

This is aproximate...I don't have the capacity to remember everything LOL But it's the gist.

Skye

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages