snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Not allowed to laminate SS card?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not allowed to laminate SS card?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that you are not supposed to laminate your Social
Security Card? My old card (before I lost it and had to replace it)
stated on the back that you were not to laminate it. But, on my new
replacement card, it doesn't say anything about laminating. How does the
government expect you to keep up with a flimsy piece of paper for your
approx. 85+ years? Is this true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine says the same, but it's also a 1982. Maybe the new ones allow it.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Policy from http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100201070?opendocument
E. POLICY - LAMINATING THE SSN CARD
1. Advise Against Lamination
Card holders are asked to not laminate their SSN card because lamination can prevent detection of security features on the card. When possible, tell SSN applicants in advance that SSA cannot guarantee the validity of a card that has been laminated. If the card holder feels the need to protect the card, they can cover the card with plastic or other material that can be removed without damaging the card.

2. Laminated Cards
If questions arise regarding a card which has been laminated:

Tell the inquirer that if there is ever a need, SSA cannot guarantee the validity of the card.

Since SSA cannot guarantee the validity of the card, the decision of whether the individual should apply for another SSN card is strictly between the employer and employee.

Do not routinely solicit a new application. If one is submitted, tell the applicant that he/she must return the laminated card before we can process the application.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A little more from the SSA

quote:
We discourage the lamination of Social Security number (SSN) cards because lamination would prevent detection of certain security features. To deter potential fraud and misuse involving SSNs, we currently issue SSN cards that are both counterfeit-resistant and tamper-resistant. (For example, the card contains a marbleized light blue security tint on the front, with the words "Social Security" in white; intaglio printing in some areas on the front of the card; and yellow, pink, and blue planchets--small discs--on both sides. ) We cannot guarantee the validity of a laminated card. You may, however, cover the card with plastic or other material if the material could be removed without damaging the card.

We recommend that as a security precaution, you carry your Social Security card only when you expect to need it, for example, to show to an employer or other third party. Otherwise, you should keep your card in a safe place (e.g., at home with your important papers or in a safe deposit box).

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 05 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
A little more from the SSA

We recommend that as a security precaution, you carry your Social Security card only when you expect to need it, for example, to show to an employer or other third party. Otherwise, you should keep your card in a safe place (e.g., at home with your important papers or in a safe deposit box).

[/QUOTE]
HIJACK!!
I always carry my SS card with me. Always have. This is why it is very worn and I may need a new one.
Perhaps I shouldn't always take it with me. Come to think of it I don't think I ever had to use it except for employment.
Anybody else always carry along their SS card?

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to avoid carrying it with me, lest I lose my wallet (so that would include a license, credit cards, and then my social security number). I've always been told to keep my SS so private, so that's what I've done.

Then again, I'm always a little paranoid about that LOL

Skye

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I carry my current one, the one with my maiden name, and all of my kids' cards. I'll probably get arrested one day.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How does the government expect you to keep up with a flimsy piece of paper for your
approx. 85+ years?

Heck, it's not as if you'll be denied any benefits if your original card wears out. Just request a replacement.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Ontario, practically all of our official cards (government health insurance, drivers licence, social insurance number) are plastic with multiple security features. However, birth certificates are still paper, with the "do not laminate" warning. It's frustrating, because you have to jump through hoops to get a new one, and the old ones do wear out, not to mention being easily lost. You need to present your birth certificate to get just about any other kind of government ID, so it is the kind of thing that some people carry around (although I don't).

I can't understand why our birth certs your SS cards are still paper, and not plastic. I know that it's pretty easy to make a plastic card these days, but surely they can build in just as many security features as the paper version has. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single modern security feature on the birth certs.

Does anyone have any insight into why paper cards are still used?

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I laminated my SS card when I got it in 1974. It would be totally trashed had I not done it, as I carry it with me. I'm willing to bet there aren't any security features on it because back then, it wasn't a problem.

It also says "For Social Security and Tax Purposes Only--Not For Identification", but my student ID number, Medical Insurance number and various ID numbers is my SS number.

Bank agent: "Mr. Benny, I need your Social Security number."
Jack Benny: "One."

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single modern security feature on the birth certs.

My kids' certs have watermarks, holographic foil and some other security features which I forget.

They're not terribly hard to get, in Florida, if you were born here. It takes just a few minutes down in the county health department for them to print out a fresh one.

--------------------

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got a new one a few months ago when tax time was looming, and I still hadn't changed my name.

My old card is 20-something years old, but is still in good condition because I never carried it with me. Even up until a couple of years ago, I still had the original paper had to be torn off of affixed to the card itself.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
quote:
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single modern security feature on the birth certs.

My kids' certs have watermarks, holographic foil and some other security features which I forget.

They're not terribly hard to get, in Florida, if you were born here. It takes just a few minutes down in the county health department for them to print out a fresh one.

Gah, in VA, you have to go to the local SS office, wait in line for an hour, apply, bring five million documents to verify who you are and why you want it, then they send it to you in four to six weeks. I'll just laminate mine, tyvm.

--B&D

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still got mine from 1978. Haven't laminated it though. It doesn't say anything about lamination.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LynneJanet

I have a great story about plastic birth certificates. I am sure anyone born in Dallas, Texas around 1977 might have a similar story.

Texas apparently used to issue a birth certificate credit card. It has all the same info on it except stamped into a credit card sized piece of plastic.

I didn't believe it till my SO showed me his.

It's green, with the letters a whitish color from the stree of the number/letters punched.
It says on front and back something to the effect of "Birth Certificate issued by the State of Texas"

Now, the best part. When SO moved up here (from South Carolina no less, he's been everywhere) and he needed a new licence, he tried to use that as a form of ID (as in, it was what had been given to his parents as a birth certificate and obviously had lasted 20+ years so far). The people at the DMV here treated him like he was a criminal. At first they got cagey and wierd and sent him to other lines to be dealt with by other people. Then they made him sit down again until their manager was free, the manager looked at this thing and freaked out saying they wouldn't accept it. The whole time SO it going "See where it says 'Official document issued by the State of Texas' and has a government seal on it?" The guy wouldn't even look at it, call someone else, or reply with anything other than "Come back with three forms of ID."

So....fun times. Curious if any other Dallas Snopsters have a green plastic cerdit card birth certificate.

Oh and I still have my paper SS card and birth certificate. The certificate is a little worn because someone folded it to put in an envelope when I was a kid, but SS card is still in decent shape and I have carried it with me for the last 10 years.

Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In Ontario, practically all of our official cards (government health insurance, drivers licence, social insurance number) are plastic with multiple security features. However, birth certificates are still paper, with the "do not laminate" warning. It's frustrating, because you have to jump through hoops to get a new one, and the old ones do wear out, not to mention being easily lost. You need to present your birth certificate to get just about any other kind of government ID, so it is the kind of thing that some people carry around (although I don't).

I can't understand why our birth certs your SS cards are still paper, and not plastic. I know that it's pretty easy to make a plastic card these days, but surely they can build in just as many security features as the paper version has. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single modern security feature on the birth certs.

Great, I have to get my long form birth cert from Ontario in the next few months, and I'm not looking forward to it. The form they make you fill out is awfully detailed.

I still have my original short cert, issued in the late 70s, and it was laminated when my parents got it. My brother's though (early 80s) isn't, and says 'do not laminate' on it. Don't know when the change was, or why.

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GooglyEyes:
LynneJanet

I have a great story about plastic birth certificates. I am sure anyone born in Dallas, Texas around 1977 might have a similar story.

Texas apparently used to issue a birth certificate credit card. It has all the same info on it except stamped into a credit card sized piece of plastic.

My original birth certificate is like this. 1970, Seattle. It has an embossed stamp. After all this time the lamination has started to peel. Mine is pale pink. Don't know if that's because I'm female or if all of them are like that.

I've never carried my Social Security card on my - I try to carry as little as possible in my wallet. I still have my original card (signed in 1980 or so with pink felt tip pen) and my newer one with my married name. My husband's is still attached to the original paper. Neither are laminated.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I carry my SS card in my wallet as well. I think I may have an extra copy or two around the house. It's pretty easy to request duplicates.

For a long time WV put the SS number on driver's licenses, so it didn't strike me as an identity theft risk to carry the card, too. My last couple of renewals here did not have the SS number though, so maybe I should re-think my policy.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lcrook94
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 604 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
slightly off-topic, but i recently tried to get a replacement card for my baby's social security card. of all the identification required, a birth certificate is not one of them. i could submit a current shot record with just his name on it. a birth certificate has absolutely everything on it, but it's not good enough for the ol' ssa. heck, i have the paper at work to forge a shot record if i wanted. luckily, i found his card and didn't have to get a new one. i just found it odd that something like a birth certificate is not considered proper documentation. go figure.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't been able to get a replacement card. Apparently nothing I send is sufficient proof of who I am.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After I learned that my name on my social security card was misspelled and my birthdate was wrong, I had to get a new one. Aside from waitig in line for over an hour and then waiting a month for it to come in the mail, all I needed to get a new one was my passport and certificate of citizenship.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about putting mine back in my fire box back at home along with my other unused credit cards.

Nobody requests to see your social anymore unless it's the bank, dmv, apartment, work company, or your car dealership.

Some others may request it upon signing up but the sales departments don't request it anymore since 2000 something when they stopped asking to write it on your purchase checks.

Supposedly when check21 came close or when we had check readers installed these days.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You do need to show the SS along with you DL if you win big money at a casino (at least in OK). I had to show both when I won $29K last year.
Kim

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alice
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Alice   E-mail Alice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well LJ, mine is plastic coated but then again I'm old as dirt. I don't know when they stopped laminating them, but when I got my hubby a new one to replace the crumbled old plastic one, they sent a paper one.(1987ish?) My childrens too, are paper. The United Way has a nice little deal in the passport office (here) where they will sell you for I think a buck, a plastic case(like for bank books).So I did that and they are safe for now. I'm dreading getting new health cards, I hear that takes a while and much patience!!
Here is a little more on the subject.
I can't help but think its a money grab as everyone knows they need it and paper will wear eventually.

Posts: 77 | From: London Jr., Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:
For a long time WV put the SS number on driver's licenses, so it didn't strike me as an identity theft risk to carry the card, too. My last couple of renewals here did not have the SS number though, so maybe I should re-think my policy.

I never carry my card with me. My sister had her identity stolen when someone stole her wallet, which contained her Social Security card. That was several years ago but she's still trying to clear her good name.

Ouch (got some family in Weston, WV) My Ankle

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages