snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Chick-fil-A

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chick-fil-A
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that Chik fil A doesn't sell franchises to women? And
that the original recipie was in essence stolen from one of the black
cooks?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they did it would have to be very subtle about it or equal opportunity laws would be all over them.
Blackenterprise.com actually recommends Chick-Fil-A as a franchise opportunity for prospective black business owners. Seems an unlikely site to recommend a business that had stolen its main business model from a black man, or openly discriminates against another minority like women.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Stephens
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Minor quibble: According to the 2000 US census, 50.9% of the population are women. That would make them a majority.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duff Yazzie-Stephens

Too bad the mall is closed, this thread is making me hungry
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duff Yazzie-Stephens:
Too bad the mall is closed, this thread is making me hungry

*snickers and finishes eating his sandwich from Chick-Fil-A*

One I was given for free at that. ^^

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Duff Yazzie-Stephens

thats just wrong.... Too bad its Sunday too, the bus doesnt run today
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And Chick-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays, either. It's owned by Truett Cathey, a conservative Southern Baptist, who doesn't think businesses should operate on Sundays.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Stephens:
Minor quibble: According to the 2000 US census, 50.9% of the population are women. That would make them a majority.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

You know not to hijack but I've always wonder about that, why women are considered a minority despite the fact that historically they have always been a sliver more women then men.

In modern terminology "minority" seems to have context beyond exact numbers.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
phenomenomenon
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phenomenomenon   E-mail phenomenomenon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't recall hearing people make a blanket statement that women are a minority, but the two words are often used together. E.g. "Women and minorities encouraged to apply." People might also say something like "women are a minority in X profession," which isn't saying that women as a whole are a minority group, and would be accurate in the case of, say, nuclear physicists.

--------------------
"Time isn't made out of lines, it's made out of circles. That's why clocks are round!"

Posts: 93 | From: Northern CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
You know not to hijack but I've always wonder about that, why women are considered a minority despite the fact that historically they have always been a sliver more women then men.

In modern terminology "minority" seems to have context beyond exact numbers.

Women are considered to be a minority because the fall under this definition -- "A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society." The group with the power is men. Source: http://www.answers.com/minority&r=67

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
Women are considered to be a minority because the fall under this definition -- "A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society." The group with the power is men. Source: http://www.answers.com/minority&r=67

I'll be sure to tell my wife that...then duck.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Okay. I forgot I was a brutal male opressor. I'll be sure and update my business cards. [Big Grin]

--------------------

RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
And Chick-Fil-A isn't open on Sundays, either. It's owned by Truett Cathey, a conservative Southern Baptist, who doesn't think businesses should operate on Sundays.

Busted him!!!

RangerDog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
quote:

Busted him!!!

RangerDog

For what? I thought it was pretty common knowledge the founder of Chick-Fil-A was conservative.

So help me Ranger Dog, if you endanger my supply of chicken sandwiches, I'm hunting you down with frozen poultry and it won't be pretty.

[Wink]

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once upon a time, Mr. Cathey insisted that any prospective new teenage employees had to spend a day with him being quizzed on doctrinal soundness before the teen could be hired. I expect the franchise is too large for that now. When I taught at a Baptist college, some of my students were former employees of Chick-Fil-A, and they said no test in college was as hard as Mr. Cathey's questions about the Bible and its interpretation.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToadMagnet
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToadMagnet   E-mail ToadMagnet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it wasn't that women per se were the minority, but women as business owners are - hence the preference in getting business loans and minority grants.

But that power thing works, too. In business, anyway.

--------------------
Listen ... it's Mellow!

Posts: 927 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Once upon a time, Mr. Cathey insisted that any prospective new teenage employees had to spend a day with him being quizzed on doctrinal soundness before the teen could be hired.

I read an article that it is still policy that teenage employees must show their report cards & progress reports to the store manager, and that if their grades fall, their hours are cut.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Women-owned businesses often qualify as "minority business enterprises" or "disavantaged business enterprises" pursuant to federal, state, and/or local laws advancing socio-economic policies. The idea is that a group can be socially disadvantaged while still composing a numerical majority.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Once upon a time, Mr. Cathey insisted that any prospective new teenage employees had to spend a day with him being quizzed on doctrinal soundness before the teen could be hired. I expect the franchise is too large for that now. When I taught at a Baptist college, some of my students were former employees of Chick-Fil-A, and they said no test in college was as hard as Mr. Cathey's questions about the Bible and its interpretation.

Pretty much everybody who worked at the first Chick-fil-a in my hometown were either students or teachers at the local private independent Baptist school. I always thought it was strange how they would refer to my order of a chicken sandwich without pickles as a "gentile".

buf 'I'm totally serious' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:
I read an article that it is still policy that teenage employees must show their report cards & progress reports to the store manager, and that if their grades fall, their hours are cut.

I can't be the only one who doesn't really have a problem with this policy. They are kids after all. Work should not be their first priority. Frankly, I think more highly of Chick-Fil-A that they recognize this too.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think its a universal Chick-Fil-A policy though. There is one inside the food court on my college campus, and during my illustrious career as a food service employee I was never asked to show my grades. Of course I was a college student, so maybe the policy only applies to HS students? Oh and we definately didn't have a Bible quiz prior to working there. Maybe some of the standards were relaxed becasuse we weren't a stand alone?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i guess they are a Usa only outfit

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
quote:

Pretty much everybody who worked at the first Chick-fil-a in my hometown were either students or teachers at the local private independent Baptist school. I always thought it was strange how they would refer to my order of a chicken sandwich without pickles as a "gentile".

Fundie humor. Whatcha gonna do? When I went to Baylor, we did some of the same. At football and basketball games, UT and A&M had huge flags they'd wave in the crowd. One of our frats swiped a Christian flag out of a church and used to wave it in retaliation. Small and subtle and pretty futile, but we got a snicker out of it. When Aggies and T-sips and SandAggies would start trading insults, we'd usually wrap it up with "..and we're Baylor grads and all you heathens are going to hell."

'cause someone will ask:
 -

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Duck:
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
quote:

Busted him!!!

RangerDog

For what? I thought it was pretty common knowledge the founder of Chick-Fil-A was conservative.

So help me Ranger Dog, if you endanger my supply of chicken sandwiches, I'm hunting you down with frozen poultry and it won't be pretty.

[Wink]

Brad busted Midgard_Dragon because everyone knows that the Chick is not open on Sunday [Wink]

RangerDog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rex Fenestrarum

It should also be noted that Truett Cathy keeps CFA closed on Sundays "so that all my employees have at least one day off a week".

It's true that this comment came once CFA got fairly large and he wasn't able to pick and choose his employees like he did when the chain was really small. So his comment *does* has a religious basis, but has been "secularized" now.

Also, CFA franchisees must have *a lot* of power over their stores and their employees. One CFA store on Albermarle Road in Charlotte has the word "God" in at least three places in the store, while the CFA on Franklin Boulevard in Gatsonia has exactly *zero* that I could see.

Also, my sister worked at a CFA near our house in GA for years and the franchisee *never* asked about grades (except when it was scholarship time*). In fact, she was "de facto" assistant manager with her own set of store keys when she was still in high school.

* - Truett Cathy is apparently big on scholarships.

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:

Mr. Cookies used to work there before I met him. He once told me all the names for different sammich variations, but I forgot most of them. I think "extra pickles" was a "rabbi." Maybe it had something to do with "kosher" dills?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 600 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex Fenestrarum:
Also, CFA franchisees must have *a lot* of power over their stores and their employees. One CFA store on Albermarle Road in Charlotte has the word "God" in at least three places in the store, while the CFA on Franklin Boulevard in Gatsonia has exactly *zero* that I could see.

The last time I was actually in a freestanding CFA resturant, they were playing Christian hymns over the PA system. Not peppy rock and roll praise and worship songs, either, but good, old fashioned hymns.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages