snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Marlboro Reds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marlboro Reds
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Someone told me that "Marlboro Reds" (the cigarette brand) was so
named because originally they were marketed to women (20's? 30's?), and
had red filters to disguise the red marks left by lipstick.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found this, so far:

quote:
In 1902 a British cigarette manufacturer, Philip Morris, established a corporation in New York to sell its tobacco brands, including Cambridge, Derby, and Marlboro - which was named after the street its London factory was situated on, Marlborough. In 1924, Philip Morris introduced Marlboro as a women's cigarette based on the slogan: "Mild as May". A female audience was targeted through a series of ads in 1926 depicting a feminine hand reaching for a cigarette. These advertisements featured stylish women posed in plush settings, and by the 1950s, babies were telling mom and dad what a great smoke a Marlboro was.

In 1942, the July issue of Reader's Digest published an article titled "Cigarette Advertising Fact and Fiction," that claimed that all cigarettes, regardless of brand, were essentially the same, and equally deadly. In 1957, Reader's Digest published an article that linked smoking with lung cancer. This is when Philip Morris saw its chance to reintroduce Marlboro and market it as the "safer" filtered brand. Consumers began feeling mislead by the established brands and dropped their old allegiances. Unable to break completely away from smoking, due to what was later recognized as nicotine addiction, many smokers were willing to try new cigarette brands. Unfortunately for Marlboro, formerly regarded as "Mild as May," the new filters were considered an extension of previous feminine image. Consequently, Phillip Morris had to completely revise and switch its advertising strategies in order to target an old group of customers with a new concern: addicted male smokers who were afraid of acquiring lung cancer.

...snip...

In the first years [1955] of these advertisements the public responses to the different "Marlboro Man" personalities were monitored. The cowboy emerged to be the most popular character. A narrowing process followed over the next forty years where the cowboy was recognized in a slew of campaigns. The cowboy taught consumers about filters, promoted the flip-top box, enticed women to try "the cigarette made for men that women like," and explained that long white ashes are a sign of good tobacco. The geometric design of the red, white and black-lettered flip-top Marlboro package boosted the appeal of a strong independent individual. The public embraced the red box as a symbol of membership to the club that recognized the Marlboro Man as their spokes-person. The box was a membership card available to everyone, an investment for themselves and their reputation, in the positive image of the Marlboro Man. Eventually he became silent, advertisements stopped having long tag lines, and his reputation and familiarity beckoned consumers without words to come with him to the place they knew well, Marlboro Country.

see Smoking Class

I've found nothing about "red filters," though. Personally, I can't recall ever seeing a red filter on a Marlboro cigarette. But then, I'm killing myself with the aid of Joe Camel [Frown]

--I'mAKillingMeSoftly(NotSoSoftly)Dedalus

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dedalus, It's not JOE Camel anymore. They killed him, remember? Now it's just a no-name Camel. [Smile]

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 19 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Randa Roo:
Dedalus, It's not JOE Camel anymore. They killed him, remember? Now it's just a no-name Camel. [Smile]

When the US Government declared that Joe was a wanted man, I opened my house/lungs like an Underground Railroad station for 'em. His cancer spreading talents are still quite alive and well [lol]

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]
Me too! I have a jar with oodles of Camel cash collecting in my kitchen. I can't get 'em to send me a catalog!

--------------------

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The camel on the box (the realistic-looking one) is stil around. He's actually called "Old Joe Camel."

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tobaccodocuments.org has scanned copies of a document "Produced to Federal Trade Commission pursuant to subpoena ~LO~ dated June 6, 1997" which briefly mentions the Marlboro "Beauty Tip", which was red.

National Library of Medicine shows a 1943 Marlboro ad in six women's magazines.

And Virginia Slims are what I'm killing myself with. Menthol to numb the pain.

Mournful
ETA: "which was red"

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill

I was told in business school that more women smoke Marlboro than men, although the company does not publicize this fact.

Couldn't find a source, but according to this link, "For years now, more women, of all age groups, have smoked Marlboro than any other brand," according to a 1999 survey:

http://www.moalpha.org/docs/news/tob_partnership/women_target.html

The article states that Marlboro is marketed as a "dual sex" brand (like Camel), unlike "female" brands marketed specifically to women.

Thanks.

Bill

Spicyitalian

As far as I've even known, pretty much everyone, men or women, started out smoking Marlboro Reds, then moved on from there. I guess Camel was another popular first cigarette choice, but of all my friends and family, I remember Marlboro first.

I started with Marlboro Red, then to Marlboro 100's, then to medium 100's, then light 100's, finally ending up with ultra light 100's. Mostly that was because of the severe acid reflux, and the lighter cigs ended up helping out.

strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK Marlbro reds are one of the most expensive brands and mostly smoked by the rebels whilst marlbro lights are smoked by gay men.

Most kids just start smoking any brand they can nick from their parents or afford with their dinner money.

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strange_little_girl:
marlbro lights are smoked by gay men.

Er, are you calling me gay ?
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit, i'm not up on the gay scene in Scotland, but I don't think Marlboro lights are a 'gay' brand.

Here's a strange tip though UK smokers - if you're ever in Canada and on the pull, whip out marlboro reds in a club and you'll be the centre of attention [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The stereotypes I know of are Marlboro lights as "Student tabs", Marlboro reds as "Hardcore tabs", Lambert and Butler as "Chaver tabs" and Royals as "Cleaners tabs"

("Tabs" is local dialect for cigs)

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
quote:

The camel on the box (the realistic-looking one) is stil around. He's actually called "Old Joe Camel."

Thanks.

Bill

That's interesting, Bill. I've never heard the new camel referred to as anything. They're all I've ever smoked, and I don't call it anything. Although, I have noticed, it looks an awful lot like a camel from the animal crackers packages... [Eek!] those bastards must still be marketing to kids! Crafty, aren't they?

--------------------

Bill

quote:
That's interesting, Bill. I've never heard the new camel referred to as anything. They're all I've ever smoked, and I don't call it anything. Although, I have noticed, it looks an awful lot like a camel from the animal crackers packages... [Eek!] those bastards must still be marketing to kids! Crafty, aren't they?

According to this, Camel cigarettes were introduced in 1913. The picture on the pack was based on a picture of a circus camel named "Old Joe."

http://www.readingeagle.com/krt/millenium/century2/html/2.htm

The modern "Joe Camel" character was supposed to be a Don Johnson-type character. Apparently the makers of Camel thought they needed something more contemporary than a 1913 camel, as I remember reading years ago that they said Camel was perceived as a brand "your grandfather smoked," and indeed it was the brand both of my grandfathers smoked.

Thanks.

Bill

resident deity
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resident deity   E-mail resident deity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm the definitions down here:
Marlboro Red aka The Red Death - the 'standard' cigarette
Marlboro Lights - common amongst those who buy cigarettes abroad (pretty universal taste, can get everywhere)
Royals - bought by those who hate the concept of paying over £5 a pack - aka sensible people.
Regals - Girly cigarettes

Student tabs are those that seem to be the sweepings from the other brands' floors - things like Lambert and Butler, Park Royal etc. Rough as a woman from Hartlepool...

Personally I smoke Royals when I have to buy UK cigarettes and Marlboro Lights when I can get them from abroad...

Posts: 289 | From: Leicester, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked at Wal-Mart, I was often assigned to the cigarette pen. I'd say 90% of the cigarettes I sold were Marlboro Lights (gold package), mostly 100s. I think I may have sold a single pack of Reds the entire time I worked there.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by resident deity:
...Student tabs are those that seem to be the sweepings from the other brands' floors - things like Lambert and Butler, Park Royal etc. Rough as a woman from Hartlepool...

Sounds rather Pythonic to me, "rough as a woman from Hartlepool" ... in that context, I'd probably prefer "rougher than a Blackpool landlady...."

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a female Marlboro smoker, menthol that is.

Tried amercan Marlboro reds, horrible, too strong for minty me.

Other half smokes Marlboro Mediums, a rare brand.

Started out on Embassy number ones, progressed to Marlboro Lights and the occasional pack of Mayfair Menthol, before moving to Marlboro Menthol when they became available.

When I worked in a petrol station Red Band were the ultimate hard core smokers ciggarette, at only £2.80ish for 20, one man would buy 60 every day.

Holly

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Marlboro's are a bit too expensive these days. When I was in high school the cool thing to smoke were Marlboro Reds. I can't smoke anything but menthol now- light 100's- generics.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 601 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
I've found this, so far:

quote:
...In 1924, Philip Morris introduced Marlboro as a women's cigarette based on the slogan: "Mild as May".

Speaking of "mild as May," I was pressed, upon reading the original item, to imagine same modified to allude to May Kanker (the "dumb blonde" of the Kanker Sisters on Ed, Edd & Eddy, in case you ask) in my weblog.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Drosmorr 100
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bela Drosmorr 100   E-mail Bela Drosmorr 100   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Note: Bela Drosmorr 100 = anagram for Marlboro Red 100s]

That said, I've been smoking Marlboro Red 100s for about 4 years now. My first cig was a camel light, then started smoking Benson and Hedges, for one reason or another. Marlboros are, in my opinion, the yummiest.

Anywho, yes, I've seen the old ads for Marlboros with the red tip, which I've always thought were pretty clever. Where they Reds though? I can't recall.

ETA: In honor of this thread, I'm changing my avatar back to its original -- A cropped ad for Marlboros from about the 1940's. Pretty!

--------------------
But that's ok, darling, because I love you. And that's why you have to let me eat your brains. -- Return of the Living Dead

Posts: 767 | From: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yeardley
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yeardley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Yeardley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Someone told me that "Marlboro Reds" (the cigarette brand) was so
named because originally they were marketed to women (20's? 30's?), and
had red filters to disguise the red marks left by lipstick.

I always thought they were so named because they came in a red box and it was a slangier and hence cooler way of distinguishing them from other Marlboros

--------------------
These men have a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them.

Posts: 44 | From: Moscow, Russia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages