snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » McDonald's and IRA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: McDonald's and IRA
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 200 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I don't know if this has been asked, but I suspect you've delt
with it before. The question ... Does McDonalds, or has McDonalds
restaurants in the U.S. support the IRA financially -- ethier by
collecting or direct donation?

I couldn't find it in your database, but I've been boycotting the
restaurant for almost 16 years because, my wife believes it, and I have no
proof to counter the misconception -- Help! I miss my Big Macs.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pardon my editorial laugh, hahaha.

That's stoopid, for so many reasons. That I can't even explain. First of all, where did he hear it?

He must have some good evidence if he's believed it for 16 years, or his wife, why does that mean he can't go anyway. Plus, I really doubt that his £2 for a Big Mac will have any substantial effect. Just...no.

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it a stupid idea? The IRA were funded partly through Noraid, which likes to pass itself off as a charity. I've known at least one American with an Irish background and surname (who liked to describe herself as Irish) who had had mailshots from Noraid and admitted that her family had given them money.

I have no idea whether McDonald's as a corporation have ever given a charitable donation to Noraid (maybe it is a stupid idea) but I don't see that it's stupid enough to just dismiss out-of-hand like that...?

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel of Destiny
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel of Destiny   E-mail Angel of Destiny       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Regina Felangie:
Pardon my editorial laugh, hahaha.

That's stoopid, for so many reasons. That I can't even explain. First of all, where did he hear it?

He must have some good evidence if he's believed it for 16 years, or his wife, why does that mean he can't go anyway. Plus, I really doubt that his £2 for a Big Mac will have any substantial effect. Just...no.

I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to give details as to the extent of their involvement, but McDonalds did have links with the IRA. I know this because the first McD's was only allowed to open in N. Ireland about a decade ago, and this was because of the IRA links. IIRC, the same goes for Boots Chemists, and maybe some others, I'd have to ask my N. Irish mother.

--------------------
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schulz

I'm unique... just like everyone else

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take a cite on the 'IRA got McDonalds into N. Ireland' for 100 please Angel of Destiny.

I'm especially skeptical since McDonalds was sold by the McDonalds brothers in 1961. It has been a public company for almost as long.

Beach...but the name starts with Mc...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Beach...but the name starts with Mc...Life!

Shouldn't that be O'Donalds...?

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
I'll take a cite on the 'IRA got McDonalds into N. Ireland' for 100 please Angel of Destiny.

I think she was saying that "(perceived?) IRA links kept McDonalds out of Northern Ireland", not that the IRA got them in there.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
McDonalds opened in Belfast in 1991, the first in Ulster - My gran thought it was owned by a family of Ulster Scots! [Wink]

Weren't there a few McLibel cases based on supposed IRA links? A swift search reveals little of interest/substance - just wanky home-page conspiracies [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that's what I thought, Richard. If that's the case though, how did McD's manage to get so many of their caffs into mainland towns? They're not exactly the most popular organisation in Britain either...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this one for years and years. It even manifested as "Every Big mac you buy, 2p goes to the IRA".

The legend probably came about as a symptom of perceived American support for Republican terrorists.

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I recall, this has to do with McDonald's payslips having a space for a deduction for “IRA” -- which I believe is a form of pension plan in the USA. Someone saw this and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On this side of the pond, IRA = Individual Retirement Account.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a fully fledged Irishman, I can tell you that this is utter rubbish. McDonalds is a public company, operating largely through franchise agreements. There is simply no truth to this.

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is being an Irishman neccessary to deduce this Friends of Alfred?

Now, if you're involved in IRA fundraising on the other hand....?

[Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is everyone so upset about McDs supporting the IRA?

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are joking, right?
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
quote:

You are joking, right?
How so?

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably this deserves a separate thread in Soapbox Derby, Pat. I'll open one there.

I don't think McDonalds have anything to do with the IRA, though I suppose it is theoretically possible that some individual franchisees could be connected.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung

Is the idea that McDs paid protection money to the IRA? Or is it that some money McDs donated to a "charity" went to the IRA? Or perhaps it is something more specific. I note that McDs is not run by Irish-Americans.

I'm guessing here, but it seems almost inevitable that some money will in some way wind up in the hands of terrorists. I think last year of the exposure of British forces working with terrorists in Northern Ireland. Seems like virtually every corporation in Britain contributed to terrorism in that way.

Anyone know any source for the McD's rumor? I did see it referenced without an explanation in an article once. The article simply passed over the charge as a tinfoil hat.

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, why would anyone care if a place they are customers at gives money to people who have been murdering men, women and children with nail bombs, running a brutal drugs trade, kneecapping teenagers with shotguns, murdering policemen, training Marxist Farc rebels and other terrorists to murder in return for money, shooting pubs up and killing civillians to murder one person they dislike, car bombing politicians for decades.

I'll choose Burger King for now, urban legend has it they support Osama Bin Laden and those responsible for the Russian School Massacre, but then why would anyone have a problem with that.

Yes, the legend is probably utterly baseless, but the question as to why anyone would have a problem with it... you might as well say "Why would anyone care if Marlboro is owned by the KKK" or "What would the problem be if Apple Snapple funded Osama Bin Laden"

Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why should McDonalds - or any big corporation - be giving money to the IRA anyway? It doesn't even exist any more, not in any effective sense. It was replaced 30-odd years ago by the Provos - the Provisional IRA. And PIRA has long been an outlawed terrorist organisation - no big business could or would take the risk of passing on funds to them.
In any case, for years, all the terrorist organisations in Northern Ireland have been making their moeny from drug-dealing and other criminal activities. They'd like McDonald's money, but they don't need it.

Hells "...and their hamburgers are made from worms!" Granny

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung

quote:
Originally posted by BlueStar:
[QUOTE]Yes, the legend is probably utterly baseless, but the question as to why anyone would have a problem with it... you might as well say "Why would anyone care if Marlboro is owned by the KKK" or "What would the problem be if Apple Snapple funded Osama Bin Laden"

Or if part of the profit from petrol you purchase goes to fund suicide bombers.

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember researching this before, but now I can't find my source, other than a lot of message board or blog postings. Supposedly, the rumor started when someone in the UK or Ireland discovered a payroll item for an American employee that said something like "IRA contribution" and did not understand that it was a retirement account.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Pat said:

quote:
Is the idea that McDs paid protection money to the IRA?
You used the word "support".

quote:
Or is it that some money McDs donated to a "charity" went to the IRA? Or perhaps it is something more specific.

Who knows? What I am interested in is why you are surprised that it would cause a fuss if true.

quote:
I'm guessing here, but it seems almost inevitable that some money will in some way wind up in the hands of terrorists. I think last year of the exposure of British forces working with terrorists in Northern Ireland. Seems like virtually every corporation in Britain contributed to terrorism in that way.

Smokescreen. What have the UDA thugs got to do with this, Pat? Nothing. The members of the UDR and RUC who illegally provided tips offs to, and colluded with, the UDA and UFF were not financially supporting them. They colluded with them in breach of the law. Presumably you are basing your ridiculous contention that all British companies support terror on the basis that they pay tax, which is used by the government to pay the salaries of the individuals who broke the law. That is laughable.
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kathy B, I remember that as well - specifically, that somebody had seen an entry for "IRA payments" in a US company's financial statement, didn't realise that it related to pension payments and jumped to conclusions. I thought I read it here on Snopes, but a search doesn't come up with anything.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
Kathy B, I remember that as well - specifically, that somebody had seen an entry for "IRA payments" in a US company's financial statement, didn't realise that it related to pension payments and jumped to conclusions. I thought I read it here on Snopes, but a search doesn't come up with anything.

Which if you apply basic thinking, its totally rediculous, why wouod any complay publically admit to supporting the IRA? That would be the same thing if their was a deduction for "AlQueda Payment"

It rediculous...

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
Which if you apply basic thinking, its totally rediculous, why wouod any complay publically admit to supporting the IRA? That would be the same thing if their was a deduction for "AlQueda Payment"

It rediculous...

Because of the view amongst some people that Americans think there is nothing wrong with funding the IRA.

I'm sure a rumour going round that a French firm had on it's books "Donation to our friends at Al Quaeda" as seen by a FOAF would travel as widely as the other absurd rumours about XXX company supporting XXX evil group.

VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:

We've certainly discussed this before. If not, I'm having the weirdest case of deja vu…

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung

quote:
quote:

Smokescreen. What have the UDA thugs got to do with this, Pat? Nothing. The members of the UDR and RUC who illegally provided tips offs to, and colluded with, the UDA and UFF were not financially supporting them. They colluded with them in breach of the law. Presumably you are basing your ridiculous contention that all British companies support terror on the basis that they pay tax, which is used by the government to pay the salaries of the individuals who broke the law. That is laughable.
Actually, I asked what the nature of the support McDs is alleged to have given was. I would certainly consider British intell colluding with terrorists to be "supporting terrorists". You may laugh, but then you are British. Perhaps we should start a thread on whether other folks from the UK agree with you.

I don't support the IRA. Nor do I excuse the British government, or my own, for the support given to terrorists. I was extremely upset when my government used my tax money to (illegally) support terrorists in Central America. Part of my anger was the knowledge that, however unwillingly, I was supporting financially the terrorization of a civilian population.

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Zachary Fizz

Pat, if by:
quote:

you meant to imply that such support should surprise nobody as all corporations either pay protection money to the IRA, or pay tax to governments which pay money to the IRA, then I freely admit you are far too subtle for me.

Otherwise I now think you were just trolling.

Are you genuinely unable to distinguish between the usual meaning of "support", and the payment of protection money or the payment of taxes to a government some of whose operatives use the money illegally? You surprise me.

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smokescreen. What have the UDA thugs got to do with this, Pat? Nothing. The members of the UDR and RUC who illegally provided tips offs to, and colluded with, the UDA and UFF were not financially supporting them. They colluded with them in breach of the law.
quote:

Actually, I asked what the nature of the support McDs is alleged to have given was. I would certainly consider British intell colluding with terrorists to be "supporting terrorists". You may laugh, but then you are British. Perhaps we should start a thread on whether other folks from the UK agree with you.

I am forced to ask whether you are a knave or a fool. If you cannot understand that

quote:
Presumably you are basing your ridiculous contention that all British companies support terror on the basis that they pay tax, which is used by the government to pay the salaries of the individuals who broke the law. That is laughable.

is not the same as laughing about

quote:
British intell colluding with terrorists to be "supporting terrorists".
then you are a fool. But I don't think you are a fool, Pat. And I am lothe to think of you as a knave.

[Edited after temper subsided]

PatYoung

quote:
Pat, if by:
quote:

you meant to imply that such support should surprise nobody as all corporations either pay protection money to the IRA, or pay tax to governments which pay money to the IRA, then I freely admit you are far too subtle for me.

Otherwise I now think you were just trolling.

Are you genuinely unable to distinguish between the usual meaning of "support", and the payment of protection money or the payment of taxes to a government some of whose operatives use the money illegally? You surprise me.

quote:
quote:

quote:

Smokescreen. What have the UDA thugs got to do with this, Pat? Nothing. The members of the UDR and RUC who illegally provided tips offs to, and colluded with, the UDA and UFF were not financially supporting them. They colluded with them in breach of the law.
quote:

I am forced to ask whether you are a knave or a fool. If you cannot understand that

quote:
Presumably you are basing your ridiculous contention that all British companies support terror on the basis that they pay tax, which is used by the government to pay the salaries of the individuals who broke the law. That is laughable.

is not the same as laughing about

quote:
British intell colluding with terrorists to be "supporting terrorists".
then you are a fool. But I don't think you are a fool, Pat. And I am lothe to think of you as a knave.

[Edited after temper subsided]

Still not sure what you're mad about. But I'm glad you're over it.

--------------------

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Synn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Synn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this news article:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=950DE7DB1739F933A05752C1A96F948260

Posts: 1 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages