snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Pepsi and Coke owned by the same company?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pepsi and Coke owned by the same company?
RoboticParanoia
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi. Long time reader, short time lurker, first time poster.

I got this from my brother, who's always the anticorporate type. He says that Coca Cola and Pepsi were owned by the same company.

His only defense was "Oh yeah! You never know what those evil corporations would do." (I must note that he uses an Intel chip and Windows 98...).

Just for confirmation sakes, is this true, or just complete nonsense, from a biased source?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not true. The Pepsi brand is owned by Pepsico, Inc. The Coca-Cola brand is owned by the Coca-Cola Company.

Curious, though, what would be so evil about a single company owning both?

Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I own stock in both company's I figure 1/2 the people drink Coke products 1/2 drink Pepsi products
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm pretty sure the govmint anti-trust folks would have something to say about that.

BB&S

--------------------
"How dare your reality hinder my ability to believe what I want!" Joe Bentley

Posts: 697 | From: Backwoods of Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure there are plenty of people who own stock in both companies and are they, technically, the owners. However, as far as management is concerned, they are separate (and bitter rivals).
Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoboticParanoia

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
See, that's what I thought. I think he made this theory up because you Coke/Pepsi with Vanilla/Lemon (or Pepsi Twist) and the half carb drinks were released around the same time.
Morrison's Longhaired Himalayan Cat

Industrial espionage [Big Grin]

--- G.

dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had learned from a friend once (who was originally from Turkey) that Pepsi & Coke were bottled at the same factory in her home country (the Pepsi factory).

But that doesn't mean they are owned by the same company. It is possible, however, in some countries that the franchise for both may be owned by the same person/company.

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So they're completely independent companies? Well, that's refreshing news. The last I had heard, both Coke AND Pepsi were owned by Osama bin Laden.

[fish]

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, snopes owns them. Or maybe snopes is Osama?

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDan:

Don't be ridiculous. We all know snopes is the partially defrosted corpse of Walt Disney. D'UH!
Lind [fish] iglo

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sapient Homo
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapient Homo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pepsi and Coca Cola is the world's biggest example of an economic Oligarchy. They probably work together to keep product progression going to ensure that any other companies trying to enter the market cannot stay in it.

Here in the UK all washing powder is made by one of two companies; Lever Brothers and Proctor and Gamble. They share information to ensure they keep they're 50/50 share of the market. I can easily invisage Pepsi and Coca Cola doing the same.

--------------------
"Actually I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know."

George Bush after the Midterms

Posts: 165 | From: Margate, Kent, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sapient Homo:
Pepsi and Coca Cola is the world's biggest example of an economic Oligarchy. They probably work together to keep product progression going to ensure that any other companies trying to enter the market cannot stay in it.

Here in the UK all washing powder is made by one of two companies; Lever Brothers and Proctor and Gamble. They share information to ensure they keep they're 50/50 share of the market. I can easily invisage Pepsi and Coca Cola doing the same.

I can partially agree with you, but I dont think they intentiaonally share information. Their position in the market as such makes the barriers entering the market (whaterver it may be) very difficult.

The fact that they have a 50 percent market share is what keeps other poeple out, not necessaraly then working together to make it so.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Collusion is illegal in the US, the UK, and almost all countries. The companies cannot legally share information and since the fines would be hefty, the government has great interest in monitoring these activities. Coke and Pepsi come out with similar products at the same time out of competition, not collusion.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lamentable Fowl

The world's BIGGEST example of economic oligarchy? Ehm, no, not even close to being close.

Oil and energy, anyone? Hell, OPEC openly calls itself a "cartel", something that tends to have raaather negative connotations in other contexts [Wink]

And let's not forget that pretty much the entire Russian economy is run by a handful of oligarchs each specializing in controlling a specific slice of the pie.

While Coke and Pepsi may be in collusion and it's certainly a multi-million-dollar thing, it doesn't come close to the amount generated by corrupt business practices that permeate some of the largest markets of the world.

--- G.

TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 03 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lindiglo in the Sky with Diamonds:
quote:

Don't be ridiculous. We all know snopes is the partially defrosted corpse of Walt Disney. D'UH!
Lind [fish] iglo

You are both so wrong!
Snopes is Chef Boyardee!

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morrison's Lamentable Fowl:
The world's BIGGEST example of economic oligarchy? Ehm, no, not even close to being close.

Oil and energy, anyone? Hell, OPEC openly calls itself a "cartel", something that tends to have raaather negative connotations in other contexts

It's questioned how effective a cartel OPEC is, though. There are some major oil-producing countries that are not members, and even among members they don't always play nice.

It's interesting that few cartels ever work well, though there have been many attempts to form them: Mercury, Iodine, Copper, Coffee, Tea, Tin, Cocoa....all tried and failed. Diamonds are close, with DeBeers holding a 60% share of the trade they can get near monopolistic prices.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sapient Homo
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapient Homo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morrison's Lamentable Fowl:
[QUOTE]The world's BIGGEST example of economic oligarchy? Ehm, no, not even close to being close.

Tell that to 4 years of Business Studies lessons with all my teachers saying the same thing!

quote:
Oil and energy, anyone? Hell, OPEC openly calls itself a "cartel", something that tends to have raaather negative connotations in other contexts [Wink]
Not really an Oligarchy though is it. A cartel works in a different way.

--------------------
"Actually I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know."

George Bush after the Midterms

Posts: 165 | From: Margate, Kent, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lamentable Fowl

OK, I definitely overstated my case, but I still think collusion of one sort or another is basically the same kind of crime despite the fact that you can sub-branch it into various shades like "oligarchy" - "cartel formation" or simply "collusion".

DeBeers is certainly a good example of an unhelpfully dominant market player, they are more of a monopoly than anything else though, since they don't have any other major companies in the field to conspire with.

In any case, my point was that if you define the practices of Coke and Pepsi as being illegal collusion, then a whole lot of other larger (overall larger, that is) businesses are equally guilty.

I'm not defending the soft drink giants, I'm attacking capitalism [Big Grin]

--- G.

ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about those of us who buy all that discount stuff at the dollar store? My guess is that it is no better or worse for your health than Coke or Pepsi. Then again, on a hot day, you don't really care that much about how it tastes as long as it is cold and has fizz. And what is the deal with TAB getting back in the stores recently?
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Canuck
What's My Lime?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Canuck   E-mail Dark Canuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobojustgotlaid:
quote:
Originally posted by Lindiglo in the Sky with Diamonds:
quote:

Lind [fish] iglo

You are both so wrong!
Snopes is Chef Boyardee!

You all think you're right but I know the truth....
Snopes is really a munchkin that tried hanging himself on the set of the Wizard of Oz [Big Grin]

--------------------
MSN- darkcanuck@gmail.com
AIM- dark-canuck@mac.com

Posts: 132 | From: Alberta | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He says that Coca Cola and Pepsi were owned by the same company.
They were, but after Barbara changed the Coca-Cola formula, I sold the company out of spite. Now we just own Pepsi.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JuanWayne

Maybe this guys brother read "Jailbird" by Vonnegut.
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the reason that Coke and Pepsi often come out with simmilar products at roughly the same time, is because of how well they sell.
If you notice, Coke will release something, and a month(?) later Pepsi will have a similar product. It has to do with trends and selling power.
Although, if you notice something else...Coke NEVER makes the shitty drinks that Pepsi releases (i.e., Pepsi Blue, Pepsi Pitch Black, Crystal Pepsi) becuase they are horrible.
Also, being an avid Coke fan, they really do release most of the products first. The only I can think of off hand they didn't make first was Pepsi Twist...althought I am suprised since people have been having Coke with Lemon (or Lime) for years.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizake the mizan

quote:
Originally posted by fictional lie:
Coke NEVER makes the shitty drinks that Pepsi releases (i.e., Pepsi Blue, Pepsi Pitch Black, Crystal Pepsi) becuase they are horrible.

offended fan of Pepsi Blue, here. [Wink]
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked Crystal Pepsi. I'm still upset they stopped making it.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who owns Dr. Pepper? I always figured Pepsi (the PEP part), but then someone said the DP owned itself. Then a former boss said Coke own Dr. Pepper. What's up?

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr Pepper and 7Up are owned by Cadbury Schweppes.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you saying that damned Cadbury bunny is behind all of this? I KNEW IT! *runs to get the secret tapes*

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brick:
Not true. The Pepsi brand is owned by Pepsico, Inc. The Coca-Cola brand is owned by the Coca-Cola Company.

What would happen is that they become a corporate giant with the other branded corporate giants and may unintentionally start monopolying.

If they aren't corporate giants yet that is. Most of our sodas out there were bought off by the mega corporations, being coca cola and pepsi, or they bought leases to be with the mega corps to sell their products in their vending machines.
[fish]

Added:

I remembered our biggest corporate fight last decade with the phone companies. They started to bicker that commercial for days on end. Verizon, Sprint, Bell Atlantic?, and maybe 2 other guys, sitting in chairs smoking stogeys while their funds get really fat and they are arguing over purhasing other mini phone companies into itself.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, I worked in a grocery store in Michigan, where aluminum cans are returned for a ten cent deposit. One of my jobs was sorting cans so that they could be returned to the respective manufactureres. I also often had to resort cans improperly sorted by idiots that worked in the other shift. These idiots seemed to believe that Pepsi and Coke were one company.

I have heard other people make the same claim. Usually people that beleive this rumor are either very uneducated, not very smart, or obsessed with big business conspiracy theories.

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Dr Pepper and 7Up are owned by Cadbury Schweppes.

- snopes

i believe that Cadburry owns the company, and then bottlers in certain areas buy the "rights" to distrubte the product. For example, in my town in NH, Dr. Pepper is a Pepsi product, placed in the Pepsi coolers at stores and served at restaurants with Pepsi taps.
Here in Boston where I go to a Coca-Cola sponsored college, we have the soda in the coolers and on tap.
So perhaps it is just easier for Cadburry to sell their bottling rights to whomever can distribute it more effiecently in a certain area?

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree with the bottling rights with Cadbury.

Here in KS, it's much the same. Although a lot of resturants that sell Coke Products have Dr. Pepper instead of Mr. Pibb.

Ah...crystal pepsi. That was good. Although Pepsi One pissed me off. Just Diet Pepsi repackaged. The one little problem I had with Crystal Pepsi was it looked like Sprite, but had the more bitter cola flavor. Yes, that was the point, but when you pick a glass up expecting sprite and get pepsi....

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Canada, Cadbury owns the rights to both the "Crush" and "C-Plus" families of beverages, but Coke (or it's bottlers) bottle the C-Plus, and Pepsi (or it's bottlers) bottle the Crush (and Dr. Pepper and 7-Up).

--------------------
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Young man as an artist

Here in SLP,Mexico there was a mexican bottler called "AGA", that owned the rights of 7UP, but then came Pepsi and bought them, the flavor was better with AGA, now it tastes like sprite but sweeter.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages