snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Ronald McDonald, pedophile?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ronald McDonald, pedophile?
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone on another board just claimed that McDonald's is trying to distance themselves from the Ronald McDonald character (hence the annoying "I'm lovin it" ads that have turned out to be a lot less popular than expected, mostly because they SUCK) because the actor who played him was a pedophile. This reeks of UL to me, but I didn't see a Snopes page on it or anything on the boards. Anyone else heard of it?

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure Ronald isn't played by any one person. I don't know if there's even one main person.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoggoth
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The reason for the "I'm lovin it" commercials is because they are trying to broaden their market. They are trying to promote a more "adult" feel to McDonalds. After all, it's the parents that spend the cash for the food, not the kids.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

Icon 212 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shoggoth:
The reason for the "I'm lovin it" commercials is because they are trying to broaden their market. They are trying to promote a more "adult" feel to McDonalds. After all, it's the parents that spend the cash for the food, not the kids.

Yeah, but so far as I've seen, they are incredibly annoying to the adults, and the kids end up loving them even more. My eight year old is mesmerized by those damn things.

~Diz

Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard of Roasted Cockitrice Corpse:
I'm pretty sure Ronald isn't played by any one person. I don't know if there's even one main person.

I THINK he was referring to the original actor. That doesn't make much sense with the argument about the new ads, but my main concern is the "Ronald was played by a pedophile" thing.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's multiple Ronald's at any one time. An actor who does the commericals, and 3-4 others who cover different regions for live appearances.

I used to work at Mcdonalds and spent a lot of time talking to our regional Ronald before deciding he was a jerk (who didn't seem to like pickle juice in his coke [Wink] ). The screening process is very stigent, so I doubt a child molester got through, unless he hid it very well.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astra Kedavra:
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard of Roasted Cockitrice Corpse:

I THINK he was referring to the original actor. That doesn't make much sense with the argument about the new ads, but my main concern is the "Ronald was played by a pedophile" thing.
Willard Scott is a pedophile?!? [Eek!]

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Matt H.
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Matt H.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
Willard Scott is a pedophile?!? [Eek!]

My friend wrote a song based on those anatomically-correct dolls they use in therapy for molested children, and how they all look like Willard Scott.

--------------------
"Who needs the Bible? I've got this magic 8-ball."

Posts: 354 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angelwings *with gravy*

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a hilarious article about the new "I'm lovin' it" crap right here. Scroll down to see a highly amusing (and yet terribly sad) picture of stupid Ronald trying to be hip hop.
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They couldn't be distancing themselves too far-I see Ronald on TV commercials God knows how many times every day. I think the commercials you see depends on the channels you watch. I usually have Nickelodeon on during the day.
-As for Willard Scott, I thought the same thing. Him as the first Ronald is abot the scariest thing ever seen (a cup hat? freakish) but I really don't think he'd get away with pedophilia without at least a bit of media picking it up and running with it.
Scary clown with cup hat> [dunce]

LittleDuck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah I'm sure RM is alive and well. Last time I saw him he was pitching his child protection thing, and prancing about the house telling kids not to drink poison.

Last time I was in the UK, we didn't have I'm loving it, we had single dad bonding with his teenage daughter through the magic of McDonalds.

Aranea

Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this article there are currently about 250 Ronald MacDonalds worldwide.
There have apparently been only two "bad Ronalds" so far: one was convicted on minor weapons and harrassment charges, the other became a vegetarian and joined PETA.
As for Scott Willard, the original Ronald (and the one who came up with the clown's name), he was fired for being too fat.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira

Heh! Funny this topic should come up. Friends have teased me over my loathing of Ronald Mcdonald.

I'm creeped out completely at the sight of him. I didn't know they had a screening process (not like any screening process is perfect) - everytime I see the clown I think "ok, here's a charector a lot of kids associate with tasty food and "fun" toys, etc. They see him and run right up to him and who knows what kind of nut could be under the makeup"

I've (half) joked around about it before that Ron could be some crazy pedophile. The funny part is, it's never hamburgler, grimace or fry guy, just Ron.

I'm pretty sure I saw an "angry" Ron in a movie at some point or some other similar charector (or parody therof). Maybe that did it.

Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aranea russus:
Yeah I'm sure RM is alive and well. Last time I saw him he was pitching his child protection thing, and prancing about the house telling kids not to drink poison.

Last time I was in the UK, we didn't have I'm loving it, we had single dad bonding with his teenage daughter through the magic of McDonalds.

Aranea

I think the McLibel trial over here a few years back took up the issue of McDonalds ads being aimed at children. Certianly most of them now seemed to be aimed at teenagers or at the general population whenever they do a themed new burger. I remeber they used to have very saccarine US ads but I don't think they went down very well! To give British McDonals some credit they did do a pretty good advertising series when they had Indian meals on the menu a few years back (don't ask).

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for Scott Willard, the original Ronald (and the one who came up with the clown's name), he was fired for being too fat.

Hm, I didn't know that! But, being the pathetic TV geek I am, I did know that King Moody, probably best known as Starker on Get Smart, was the first Ronald of the national campaigns.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually, they are trying to be more "hip" to apeal to the teenage demographic that they are losing. This marketing stratagy rarely works.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Van Thorp:
quote:

Actually, they are trying to be more "hip" to apeal to the teenage demographic that they are losing. This marketing stratagy rarely works.
The main reason they always fail is because all marketing execs are completely out of touch with what is actually cool. Those ads are laughable.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've long thought that the movie A Hard Day's Night had the best comment on conscious efforts to "appeal to the teenage demographic":

"... Susan Campy, our resident teenager. You'll have to love her -- she's your symbol."

"Oh, you mean that posh bird who gets everything wrong. Yeah, the lads frequently sit round the television and watch her for a giggle. In fact once we all sat down and wrote these letters saying how gear she was, and all that rubbish."

"She's a trendsetter. It's her profession."

"She's a drag. A well known drag. We turn down the sound on her, and say rude things."

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
According to this article there are currently about 250 Ronald MacDonalds worldwide.
There have apparently been only two "bad Ronalds" so far: one was convicted on minor weapons and harrassment charges, the other became a vegetarian and joined PETA.

Boy, that's really strange. First, I see your "Bad Ronald" reference and then you provide a link to my hometown newspaper!

Bad "Your McFavorite Hamburger Clown" Ronald

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cato, the Singing-Ringing Flea[bag]

quote:
After all, it's the parents that spend the cash for the food, not the kids.

Yeah, but it's the kids who nag their parents to take them to McDonalds. I don't know anyone without kids who goes to McDonalds (yeah yeah, before all you McDonald-philes pipe up about how you go, I realise that some adults without children do go to McDonalds, I just don't know any of them [Wink] )
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by megaira:

I'm creeped out completely at the sight of him. I didn't know they had a screening process (not like any screening process is perfect) - everytime I see the clown I think "ok, here's a charector a lot of kids associate with tasty food and "fun" toys, etc. They see him and run right up to him and who knows what kind of nut could be under the makeup"

Like a friend of mine says, the only job that could possibly be more appealing for a pedophile would be on one of those Disney Cruise ships.

buf 'and if you're a psychokiller, apply for work at a haunted hayride' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira

quote:
Originally posted by bufungla:
Like a friend of mine says, the only job that could possibly be more appealing for a pedophile would be on one of those Disney Cruise ships.

buf 'and if you're a psychokiller, apply for work at a haunted hayride' ungla

---
Why no, Buf, the best job for a pedophile is the one that involves dressing up as an ancient purple reptile and touching kids on national tv.
Does anybody else find that one creepy?
Judy "I like you, you like me..." [Roll Eyes]

ditto_n

maybe because this "purple dino" is a girl? atleast thats what I've heard, but then again I'm still a teen and we dont always get the golden side of a story. But rumor has it barney's original life was a woman. Not that their aren't women pedofiles, I know a couple, but they usually don't have to search hard to find sadisfaction, espically if they like their kids older then 12.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages