snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Domino's Pizza - homophobic or just gross?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Domino's Pizza - homophobic or just gross?
finkles
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I don't like Domino's Pizza because I think it's the most disgusting pizza on the market today (that's just my opinion - lots of people like it. Whatever.). But my boyfriend told me that Domino's Pizza gives some of it's profits to anti-gay organizations. I couldn't find any information on this specific issue, but I did find this. Does anyone know about this specifically? I really don't want my pizza to have an agenda. Especially an anti-gay agenda.

finkles "I'd like pepperoni and . . . extra hate, please" 2000

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 402 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like you boyfriend has heard a new twist on this old UL about Domino's.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schizm

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I think the link you posted answers your own question. The previous owner did contribute to conservative Catholic causes but Dominoes has since changed hands.
But I know what you mean. I won't Ben & Jerry's because they donate profits to Planned Parenthood. [Razz]

PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The previous owner of Dominos was well-know for his support of conservative causes. Back in the 1980s there was a small boycott of Dominos because of his efforts to undermine the Sandinistas in Nicaragua. I'd say don't eat the stuff because it is crap, all politics aside.

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 16 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So there are actually a significant amount of people out there who will deny themselves a little bucket of icecream or a slice or so of pizza because a miniscule portion of the proceeds might go toward a cause the don't belive in?

Disagree with the cause, but realize a company has the right to donate the causes of their choice, whether liberal or conservative. They aren't going to stop because a handful of protesters decide to cure their munchies elsewhere. [Roll Eyes]

resE"Oh dear! So and So in Such and such place chose brand X over our own! Guess we better think this whole anti/pro fill-in-the-blank thing."Lution

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul Unwin, I Presume

quote:
Originally posted by resEpusaminLution:
So there are actually a significant amount of people out there who will deny themselves a little bucket of icecream or a slice or so of pizza because a miniscule portion of the proceeds might go toward a cause the don't belive in?

There are, get this, even people who won't use a bus system if its bus drivers make them sit at the back. What loons, eh?
Dan the Seeker

Icon 212 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Disagree with the cause, but realize a company has the right to donate the causes of their choice, whether liberal or conservative. They aren't going to stop because a handful of protesters decide to cure their munchies elsewhere. [Roll Eyes]

resE"Oh dear! So and So in Such and such place chose brand X over our own! Guess we better think this whole anti/pro fill-in-the-blank thing."Lution

I think it's more of a case of people not wishing their money to go in support of certain causes/groups.

For example, would you buy a product who advertises that 10% of their proceeds goes to the KKK?

--Dan

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My SIL will never eat California grapes.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Just as the company has the right to donate to whatever cause, consumers have to right to choose a competitor's product.

The founder of Domino's shouldn't back away from his beliefs, but he should realize that those beliefs may cost him business. It's just the way things work.

Personally, I buy Papa John's because I prefer the taste.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 213 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Absolutly. There will never be any Ben and Jerry's ice cream in this house. This is because of their support of Mumia Jamal, a convicted cop killer.

There are other ice cream companies we can buy from, and other people to get pizza from. We are not denying ourselves anything. We are choosing not to support a company that is doing something we don't like. Besides, there are other ice cream companies, and other pizza places to buy from.

Lizzy "I prefer Dryer's anyway" Bean

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drag, the Magic Puffin

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would certainly hope so. What's the point in believing in ANYTHING if you're willing to financially support something you strongly disagree with? And it's not like there aren't other ice creams and pizzas out there.

I could so really get into this. But I'll just say that the attitude of "I can't make a difference" is rather short-sighted. At the very least, you can say you took a stand for your beliefs, no matter how small. Principles do still matter.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree that there's no problem with people buying or not buying a product based on what causes the company, shareholders or owners support.

Beach...and we don't have to buy Dixie Chicks CDs either...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill

quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean, theatre cat:
Absolutly. There will never be any Ben and Jerry's ice cream in this house. This is because of their support of Mumia Jamal, a convicted cop killer.

Lizzy "I prefer Dryer's anyway" Bean [/QB]

There will never be any in my house either, for a different reason. I know from someone who worked at their factory in Vermont that they treat the factory workers very badly. You'd think they'd be nice to their own employees before they'd give money to these feel-good liberal causes.

Thanks.

Bill

tlqeeeee

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drag, the Magic Puffin:
quote:

I would certainly hope so. What's the point in believing in ANYTHING if you're willing to financially support something you strongly disagree with? And it's not like there aren't other ice creams and pizzas out there.

I could so really get into this. But I'll just say that the attitude of "I can't make a difference" is rather short-sighted. At the very least, you can say you took a stand for your beliefs, no matter how small. Principles do still matter.

Oh, A-MEN to that! I went to Cal Berkeley, and not a day went by when I didn't walk through Sproul Plaza and have some anti-vivisectionist thrust a slice of paper at me. I tended to get the ones about the baby rhesus monkeys and bunnies who had eyeliners and mascaras dripped into their eyes until poisoned or blinded.

It's not that I don't FEEL for the baby rhesus monkeys and the cute little bunnies used in cosmetics testing. I personally don't USE cosmetics, not because I don't want to harm the cute little critters but because I think it's a waste of money. I actually confonted a Sproul Plaza pamphleteer about that. She didn't understand, when I pointed out to her that unless every single one of her cosmetic products (she was VERY heavily made-up) was created entirely without animal testing, she was hy[pocritical and I wasn't interested in anything she had to say.

She moved on to an easier mark.

One time I took it even farther, to what *I* think is the logical conclusion. As I told a pamphleteer, MY life, and pretty much everyone else's on the Berkeley campus has been artificially prolonged as a result of medical research on animals. Until the anti-vivisectionists willingly kill themselves at age 35, thereby depriving themselves of the ill-gotten YEARS of life they have as a result of animal testing, I'm not interested in speaking to them or reading their literature.

It's not that it's not a valid point... animal testing is cruel... I'm not disputing that. But if you're going to be against it, be against ALL of it! Follow it to its logical conclusion! Or else don't shove your pamphlet in my face. [Razz]

tlqeeeee

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care a fig about Domino's Pizza politics. The pizza is NASTY. So I buy mine elsewhere. Pure and simple.

For the same reason, I don't get pizza from Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's, or, really, anywhere but Papa Murphy's, which is the current favorite in our house.

STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Domino's just fine actually. I don't usually engage in this particular kind of activism anyway so I eat there all I want. If some of their profits are going to anti-gay organizations then...eh. I like the pizza and really that's all that matters to me.

I guess I'm just not as principled as some.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
I like Domino's just fine actually. I don't usually engage in this particular kind of activism anyway so I eat there all I want. If some of their profits are going to anti-gay organizations then...eh. I like the pizza and really that's all that matters to me.

I'll eat Domino's, it's not my favorite.

STF, I don't think that you're not principled, I think you just have different priorities. It is more important for you to get a pizza you like than to worry about how the folks who make it spend the money they earn by selling it. That is just fine. I'm sure when/if there's something you do feel strongly about it will be high on your priorities list; it may, however, not be high on my list. That is also fine.

I actually worked for Domino's briefly several years ago. My principles at the time involved having enough money to pay the rent, and they were hiring. Am I proud of it now? No. Would I do it again, were the situation the same? Yes. Doing something similar now -- working a NFBSKing job I hate because it has health benefits and keeps a roof over my kitten's head.

My highest priority is the health & welfare of my daughter. Everything else is negotiable.

Four "situational ethics" Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schizm

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It's not the money, it's the endorsement. I don't expect them to stop their support. It's a matter of conscience. By making a public claim of investing part of their profits to a cause, they are trying to express a point. By not buying their product I'm saying I protest. Call it a form of dialogue.
Schizm

I just want to get back to the main point since i think we're all over looking it. Whereas the original owner of Dominoes did support conservative causes that may have discriminated against gays, according to the article linked in the original note, it's under a new management that is trying to get away from his precedent's baggage. If you get a stomach ache eating Dominoes it's not your conscience. [Smile]
ethereal arm

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once stated to a friend I would not ever buy clothes that was made from certain countries or shoes made by certain manufacturers due to the fact that they have been known to be made in sweatshops, some of which used children. They replied, do you really think that I, just one single person can make a difference. I looked at them, and said realisticly no I cannot alone make a difference, but I will be damned if I am going to condone those practices by financialy supporting a company that has no regard to human welfare. There are a lot of companies that I actively attempt not to do business with. Until every man and woman realizes that even the smallest action has it repurcussions, then things like that will always go on. The greatest way to tell any company you don't agree...is to not do business with them. Just my two pennies worth...

ethereal "ignorance is bliss so wipe the smile off of my face" arm

Illuminati-atrix
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Illuminati-atrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FourKitties4:
quote:
Originally posted by STF:

I'll eat Domino's, it's not my favorite.

STF, I don't think that you're not principled, I think you just have different priorities. It is more important for you to get a pizza you like than to worry about how the folks who make it spend the money they earn by selling it. That is just fine. I'm sure when/if there's something you do feel strongly about it will be high on your priorities list; it may, however, not be high on my list. That is also fine.

I must admit that I usually don't pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to what charities, etc. that various corporations may donate some of their profits to but just for the sake of discussion does anyone here think that boycotting this company and boycotting that company over this, that and the other can ever go overboard? I am sure that if I looked into every company or store that I spent money on/at I could find something that said company does that I find offensive...am I or the average person really going to stop buying clothes, food, etc. from every one of those companies?
Posts: 1198 | From: in the cyberlab . . . | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't it kind of balance out, though? If I don't buy product *A* because they give to a charity/cause that I don't agree with and Tommygungirl does buy product *A* because she agrees with the charity/cause, its kind of a wash! Sort of like when my wife and I go to vote, we usually cancel each other out [Razz] . I think the OP brings up an interesting social dynamic.

Ranger Doggonit now I want some pizza!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
finkles

Icon 212 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know. As long as the company itself doesn't endorse the cause, then I guess it's okay. But still - Domino's is crappy pizza. Their cinnamony-dots thingy is pretty good though. However, I'm one of those people who's shopping is affected by outside factors. And by outside factors, I mean how much money I have. Just kidding. . . sort of. If Focus on the Family sold jeans for 10 cents a pair, there's still no way that I would by them, because I'd be contributing to a cause that I'd rather not contribute to.

finkles "James Dobson can kiss my gay butt" 2000

Chimera

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never bought Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and never will. I have to hide my Peter Paul and Mary CDs (liberal, green party, religious non-sense) as it is. I agree it's a wash, person A will boycott the company and person B will patronize them for the same reason. I also admit that anyone can find something they object to with any company. There is also no way to avoid all companies that contributes to something you disagree with. I picked one cause, one hill to die on (pro-life) and do my best (without cutting off my nose to spite my face) to avoid doing business where money goes to pro-choice causes. Does it make a difference? Not to the companies. But to me I have a clear conscience. I wouldn't enjoy Ben and Jerry's knowing where the money goes. I'm making a differnce in that I'm increasing my own happiness.

ETA: I don't buy Dominos because it's quite nasty.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought Ben & Jerry were bought out by Unilever a while ago.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
I thought Ben & Jerry were bought out by Unilever a while ago.

Who cares. Bad image is bad image. To me it will always be like trying to sell a treat with a big Mr. Yuck sticker on it. There might not be poison inside but it won't look apealing.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
caranfin

quote:
Originally posted by RangerDog:
Doesn't it kind of balance out, though? If I don't buy product *A* because they give to a charity/cause that I don't agree with and Tommygungirl does buy product *A* because she agrees with the charity/cause, its kind of a wash! Sort of like when my wife and I go to vote, we usually cancel each other out [Razz] . I think the OP brings up an interesting social dynamic.

Sure, it balances out in the end, but what matters to me is that my money doesn't go to a cause that I oppose.

caran "I actually like Dominos thin-crust pizza" fin

die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 603 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan the Seeker:
...For example, would you buy a product who advertises that 10% of their proceeds goes to the KKK?

It might be worth knowing where I plan to donate any substantial proceeds from commissions off the online shopping pages on my website--ten in number, among them a gateway to online malls generally, the Online Bargain Basement and an online book, music and video shop, inter alii--to these causes:
  • reducing the National Debt;
  • the Salvation Army;
  • the Mayo Clinic; and
  • another worthwhile charity.
Is this, perhaps, a good reason to shop online, or what?!

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
woohmom
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 01 posted      Profile for woohmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not that it's not a valid point... animal testing is cruel... I'm not disputing that. But if you're going to be against it, be against ALL of it! Follow it to its logical conclusion! Or else don't shove your pamphlet in my face.
So if you can't cure all the world's ills you may as well not try to improve it at all?

wooh"as long as there's still jock itch, why bother with athlete's foot?"mom

--------------------
Give peas a chance.

Posts: 564 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages