snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » First day of Sunday liquor sales in PA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First day of Sunday liquor sales in PA
candy-colored rossdawg
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 87 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been a long time coming but you can now buy alcohol in PA state stores on a Sunday. Now if only they could relax their rules and sell like the other states in private businesses.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister lives near Philly. First time I visited her after she moved I was genuinely shocked to discover the hoops one had to go through just to buy beer. I'm used to having it available at the grocery store. I keep telling her she lives in a weird state.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 37 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we first moved to Michigan, I was shocked that you can't buy alcohol on Sundays. It is an absolutly rediculous rule, if you ask me. Heck, if you're that big of an alikie, you're probably stocked up to last through the week anyway. It must have some kind of tie in to when people went to church and did no work on Sundays. I really don't know.

Lizzy "vodka on Sundays is not a crime!" Bean

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tier-Rex

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hijack] This little dog is walking around in PA. He goes to cross a freway and is ,sadly, run over and killed. His little dog ghost goes to heaven.

St Peter says to him, " I'm sorry, but you appear to have lost your tail. I can't let in an imperfect ghost.".

The little dog is very saddened by this. He goes back to earth and starts to look for his tail. Eventually he goes into a PA liquor store.

" Excuse me.", asks the dog ghost, " Have you seen my tail?"

"Sure", says the owner, " Found it just outside this morning.".

" Cool," yelps the dog ghost excitedly, " Could you stick it back on for me?"

" I'm sorry [Frown] ", says the man. " I'm not allowed to retail spirits on a Sunday.".

[/Hijack]

[fish]

Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean, sideshow freak:
It is an absolutly rediculous rule, if you ask me.

I once lived in a small town in Texas where alcohol could not be sold before noon on Sunday. After that, it was ok.

I guess that kept drunks from buying it while folks were in church?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tears of a Spam & Cookies-mmmm:
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBean, sideshow freak:
It is an absolutly rediculous rule, if you ask me.

I once lived in a small town in Texas where alcohol could not be sold before noon on Sunday. After that, it was ok.

I guess that kept drunks from buying it while folks were in church?

That's anywhere in Texas, not just the small towns. On Sundays, you can buy beer & wine by the bottle or case from noon to midnight to take home. Liquor stores are not open period. You can buy liquor or beer or wine by the drink from noon to 2am. The different start time on Sundays is due in part to the old blue laws which said you couldn't buy certain things on Sundays. Most of them went away in the late 70's/early 80's, but the liquor laws have remained the same.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kansas has the no liquor sales on Sunday (or at least used to). You should have heard the stink when New Year's Eve was on a Sunday a few years ago. How hard is it to plan a little in advance and get the alcohol on Saturday? I really don't care about the law one way or another.
I did, however go to college in a dry town. Beer was sold at the grocery stores, but no liquor stores were allowed. About 9 miles south was the next town. Guess what the first place of business is in that town as you head south!

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 98 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Up here in MA we still have blue laws in most towns. The only towns that I know currently allow liquor stores to open in SUndays are those close to the NH border (theory is that the stores lose customers because people will go to NH to buy booze). In my town liquor stores are allowed open on Sundays ONLY within a certain time frame before a holiday, ie, a certain number of Sundays leading up to xmas. And even then, they open at noon. I can remember when stores were not allowed to sell non-essential items (non-food pretty much) before noon on Sundays. My father went to the corner convenience store one Sunday when I was little and they would not sell him a pair of shoelaces. Things have changed a bit since then, though, it still amazes my partner (who moved here from Georgia) that Wal-MArt closes at 7pm on Sundays, most stores close at 6pm Sundays(K-Mart stays open until 10pm, I think because they're hurting for business). One local grocery stays open Sun until 9pm. We do have two 24 hour drug stores that are never closed. They are both fairly new (within the last ten years or so). Heck, up here you are hard pressed to find grocery stores that sell alcohol unless they include a whole liquor store section.

Little "never understood blue laws since I live in a town with a high Jewish population" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Here I Am
Pimped Out

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Here I Am   E-mail Here I Am   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Ontario, Sunday alcohol sales were legalised in the mid 90's. However, we have a government near-monopoly / private near-monopoly system in place.

For liqour/spirits : The government has a complete monopoly on sales through it's LCBO stores.

For wine: The LCBO has a near-monopoly on sales, with Ontario wineries allowed to set up their own stores and kiosks around the province to sell their own products.

For beer: The straightforward-named Beer Store (owned by the Labatt, Molson, and Sleeman breweries) sell most of the beer consumed in Ontario. The LCBO sells some of the major brands, and the breweries can set up their own shops at the location of their breweries. Some American tourists I have spoken to love the Beer Store concept. As one told me, "I have never seen this kind of selection". The Beer Store sells (in most of its outlets) somewhere around 200 brands of beer.

--------------------
cheers

p

Posts: 40 | From: Mississauga, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drew

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Cousin moved to Utah. She told me what she had to do to get a keg. Has to make a 2 hour drive there and back into the next state. Is this true?
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Duck,

Things have actually improved a lot. When I was growing up in MA there weren't any grocery stores open on Sunday. If you were having a barbecue and ran out of hamburger you were SOL.

An interesting exception to the no liquor sales on Sunday. It used to be true that Jewish supermarkets could sell kosher wine on Sundays but not on Saturdays. I do not know if this is true anymore because I no longer live in Newton.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Glottal Fry

Icon 502 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add a UK spin to the whole Sunday trading thing, it wasn't that long ago (just under 10 years if my memory serves me) when you could only buy alcohol during certain hours on a Sunday (between 12pm and 3pm and then from 7pm to 10.30pm). This was true in pubs as well as shops (Sunday licensing in bars and pubs is still only between 12 and 10.30, compared to 11am to 11pm during the rest of the week) - and supermarkets often used to cordon off the alcohol shelves during the none purchasing times (I guess to save having to turn away customers at the check out...

e'master of the pointless post'x

Snow-Dog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Snow-Dog   E-mail Snow-Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Connecticut still has blue laws regarding alchohol sales. No alchohol sold after 8pm or on sundays, and it wasn't till the 90s that you could buy beer (no wine or liquor) in a grocery store, and that gets covered up after 8.
Posts: 474 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
turtlesoup

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I come from a small town in TN where the county was 'dry'. Beer could be sold, but like a lot of other places, not on sundays. Had to drive out of the county for wine or liquor. I never saw those things in a grocery store til I went to Florida as a teenager. I was so amazed. Now that I'm in Cali, I love going to the liquor section in the store, because it's still a bit of a novelty to me.
I was recently reading my old hometown newspaper (they are actually on the web). And they are actually tightening the laws. No beer signs allowed anywhere near churches, guess that's an old one, they just made it farther away. And they think some of the restaurants are selling too much alchohol, so they are making the requirements to be a restaraunt stricter. Guess they are afraid some of the places are resembling evil bars, because some people like to go out and have a beer! It's crazy, the rest of the world is moving ahead and my hometown is moving backwards. *sigh*

I didn't know that alchohol could be sold anywhere in the US on sundays. I think that's great. Hope to see the trend continue. I have always thought that rule was awful!

24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 24 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we were in Rhode Island,we were surprised to find out that you buy all alcohol in the state run store. Even beer. This was a shock to most of us Navy folks, particularly the ones from CA, where you can buy anything and everything at the grocery store. And, yes, they were closed on Sunday. But, the ones on the base were open, as they were on U.S. Goverment property. Here in VA, you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store, on any day of the week, and the hard stuff in the state ABC store. I'm not sure if they're open on Sunday or not, but as in RI, the "Package Store" on the base is open 7 days a week.

24kKate

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In TX, wet or dry is done by school district which presents an interesting situation for us. We live in an area where one school district overlaps into another town. Example: Maize & Columbia are towns right next to each other. Maize needs more space for schools so Columbia agrees to let Maize build schools inside its' city limits. So, we live in Columbia, but our kids school is part of the Maize school district. (This is an urban area so there really is no distinct line between 'Maize' & 'Columbia'). Anyway, Maize is dry & Columbia is wet. However, since we live in the Maize school district, we can't buy liquor from our closest grocery store. It's not a big inconvience as we usually just visit a liquor store when we want alcohol but it is really odd.
Oh, & if you're in a restaurant in 'Maize' & would like a glass of wine, you have to buy a 'club card' or something like that. Silly!

Mor 'Red wine please'-gaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SavannahJane

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Turtlesoup, we must be from the same town. [Smile] I work as a server in a restaurant that has beer, but are not allowed to sell liquor. You can bring in your own liquor and I can serve you the setup, but I can't touch the liquor. It's so crazy. I am originally from Illinois and there they have liquor in the grocery stores. So, it was a big change to move to Tennessee and find these crazy laws.
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a very interesting thread, I had no idea how complex the liquor laws are in some places. In Wyoming you get liquor at liquor stores or if you are in really small town it can be purchased from a bar. We don't have state stores per say, but there is a State Liquor Commission that regulates what is carried. That isn't as restrictive as it might sound, you can request anything at your local liquor store they send the request on to the Liquor Commission who orders it and has it available for all stores in the state. Liquor stores are open 7 days a week, the hours on Sundays are shorter. A restaraunt needs a liquor license to sell alcohol, once they have that they can offer any type of alcohol.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snow Angel Wings

Icon 506 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Virginia, you cannot purchase alcohol from midnight to six or seven a.m., all week. I'm not sure if you can buy it Sundays. I think it's just up to the store. I know Ukrop's doesn't sell on Sundays, and the local 7-Eleven might not either.
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in WV you can buy wine and bear in grocery stores, convenience stores, and drugstores. Drugstores can also sell hard liquor (whisky, brandy, gin, etc.) One can't buy beer or wine before (I think) 1:00 p.m. on Sundays and no hard liquor at all. (There are a few specialty wine, beer, and liquor stores, but they are few & far between.)

I don't know if we have local option for communities declaring themselves 'dry' or not.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bosco

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Were there any states that had their drinking age below 21 before it became Federal Law that 21 was the bare minimum?

I'm not sure, but I think there are some places here in CA where you can buy any type of Liquor 24 hours a day. My own evidence I have to support this is when I was coming home from a Night Club one night, I decided to stop at the 7-11 for a late night slurpy. As I was filling my cup, 4 gentleman walked in and went to the Liquor section and pulled out a couple 12 packs. I looked at my watch and it was 2:50am, so I figured that the chasier won't sell them, but he did. The next night it was about 3:30am, I stopped at the Sav-On for some mineral water and the same thing happen, a couple of ladies had some wine coolers with them and the chasier sold it to them.

Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bosco:
Were there any states that had their drinking age below 21 before it became Federal Law that 21 was the bare minimum?

Wyoming had a drinking age of 18 and even held for a while until the federal government threatened to withhold highway funding.

Noemi "and don't get me started on the speed limit 55 extortion"

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Georgia, you cannot buy any spirits retail on Sunday but you can buy spirits if you go to a resturaunt if that establishment makes at least 50% of its sales from food. Establishments that serve alcohol in an outdoor dining area must have that area enclosed. Bars and "package stores" or "container stores" (you couldn't call it a liquor/alcohol/spirits/etc store until recently) are banned within so many feet (100?) of property owned by a religious organisation. All bottles of liquour must be placed in an opaque container (like a brown paper bag or a box). There are separate licenses for serving beer or wine, for serving harder spirits, for selling beer or wine, and for selling hard spirits. Most grocery stores only have a license to sell beer or wine, if anything.

Individuals and retailers cannot buy spirits direct from the manufacturer unless they go to the manufacturer and buy it on the premises. Georgia law mandates that all sales of spirits that are not on the premises of the manufacturer must go through a distributor (which is how Roger Kahn got his money). Even if you buy it on the premises, you have to transport it back yourself. Georgia law does not allow direct shipment of spirits to consumers. That made wine tasting in California and New Mexico (New Mexico has a surprising number of wineries) a very frustrating activity.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bosco:
the chasier won't sell them,

What's a chasier? It looks French, but. . .

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snow Angel Wings:
Here in Virginia, you cannot purchase alcohol from midnight to six or seven a.m., all week. I'm not sure if you can buy it Sundays. I think it's just up to the store. I know Ukrop's doesn't sell on Sundays, and the local 7-Eleven might not either.

Well, in Ukrops case, they don't sell alcohol at all, nor are they open on Sundays....so it's a moot point as far as they're concerned [Razz]

Normal retailers can sell beer and wine on Sudays, however, the state ABC stores (the only place to buy anything stronger) aren't open....

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Woapalanne

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in MD, most of the liquor stores are closed Sunday, but a couple (one that's in a restaurant, and I think a bar) are open, which implies that there used to be such a law, but they took it off, and the businesses kept Sunday as their day off [Wink] Either that, or the law is strange and Byzantine... which wouldn't surprise me for Maryland.
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found out that it is illegal in Georgia for ex-cons to serve alcohol.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages