snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Earthlink owned by Church of Scientology?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Earthlink owned by Church of Scientology?
Smirking Blonde
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 104 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Howdy
Someone who sends me email 26 times a day that's 10 scrolls long was blathering about Earthlink being owned by the Church of Scientology. Since I can't ever glean the facts from his OCD ranting in 18 pt font, I looked it up and it seems to be true. However I'm not sure that's the whole truth and nothing but the truth since the articles I read started getting into this "who invested what when and who owns what with what invested with who's investor now" explaining and I tend to go into a coma when I see stuff like this.
Anyone know the true poop?

>}}}">

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess my first question would be: Does it really matter? Earthlink provides a service, the same service whether they were owned by one corperation or another. No matter what you'll have to pay money to greedy ISPs to get only, so does it matter who ultimately gets your money?

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding is that Earthlink is owned by a company run by several $cientologists. I'll provide cites when I get home.

As for whether or not this is a big deal, it depends on one's views. If the revenue is funneled into $cientology, I think there is good reason to choose a different ISP. Not only has $cientology been (as a cult) convicted of major crimes in Canada, but it has engaged in espionage in the USA. Further, $cientology engages in organized abuse of its detractors, as well as physical and psychological abuse of its own members.

The cult of $cientology is much like the movie Battle field earth... Both are far worse than you think.

www.xenu.net

www.scientologylies.org

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to play devil's advocate.

I would assume it takes much of earthlinks income to run their networks. They've grown to the point of being a viable public option to AOL (I know I wouldn't sign up for either, more than $20 a month is too much).

As for crimes commited by scientlogy, I know I'm not an expert on it; but then I've never really wanted to research anything particularly cult-like.

My adive: Dump it and get a good ISP for around $10, they're faster and more reliable.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Earthlink was founded in 1994 by Sky Dayton, an active Scientologist. Earthlink is now a corporation and denies that Dayton's beliefs influence the day to day operations. Some peopel don't buy that; others say in it's early days, Earthlink had a lot of Scientologists on staff, but that things have changed as it's gotten bigger. Cofounder Reed Slatkin was proably a Scientologist--there's some waffling. He was sued for bilking investors in a Ponzi scheme.
Assorted references:
http://www.skeptictank.org/slatkin/rsindex.htm
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/03.19.98/scientology-9811.html
http://bernie.cncfamily.com/earthlink.htm

Dayton is on the Baord of Directors, but is no longer CEO. http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=ELNK&script=2200

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DingDong
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 206 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Up North:
If the revenue is funneled into $cientology, I think there is good reason to choose a different ISP.

Considering Earthlink has never made a profit and their stock price has been declining for over 3 years, there's not a whole lot of revenue being funneled into Scientology.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DingDong:
Considering Earthlink has never made a profit and their stock price has been declining for over 3 years, there's not a whole lot of revenue being funneled into Scientology.

Or maybe that's why they haven't made a profit... j/k
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages