snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Used stamps for charity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Used stamps for charity
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Do charitable organizations want canceled postage stamps so they can sell
them to raise money for their programs?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fnawrite
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that the Postal History Foundation in Tucson will take old commemorative stamps. They use them in programs for school children.

quote:
Curriculum relevance: Postage stamps can be used to teach a very wide range of subjects such as geography, science, history, art, Black heritage, Native Americans, wildlife, nature, and conservation.
When my daughter was in second and third grade, the class did a "stamp collection" project in which they made a booklet with stamps relevant to historical or social topics being studied in class, with student descriptions about what was being commemorated on the stamps. The stamps were provided by the Postal History Foundation. I don't know if there are other such organizations or not, but there should be.

Except for this sort of application, old cancelled US stamps are bascially worthless. Even old uncancelled stamps are worth less than face value, and if you want to save money for your non-profit organization you can buy a bunch of 4 and 5 cent stamps at a discount and fill up the envelope with them. Just buy bigger envelopes. (The local Red Cross does this.)

Chava

Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stamp Aid was apparently run in the UK by the children's TV programme "Blue Peter". The Stap Aid website doesn't give any clues as to why the stamps were valuable, but they did collect hundreds of thousands of envelopes full of the things, and raised money for children's projects in Peru...

Other charities also request bulk donations of used stamps but I can't find out a thing about who buys them and why!

Embra

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I googled on "cancelled stamps" and charities and got quite a few hits. The majority of them are in Great Britain. I believe that this is a legitimate fund raiser. The stamps are sold to dealers who soak them and sort them and sell them in packages. I suspect that dealers from different countries exchange large lots of stamps but I do not know this for a fact.

When I was a child my father was a stamp and coin dealer. I remember soaking and sorting large quantities of stamps. I will ask him if he knows anything about international exchanges with other dealers.

Just out of curiosity, is stamp collecting popular in other countries beside the U.S. and Great Britain?

dew"stamp of approval"ey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kerrylikesvodka

Lots of organisations in the UK collect used stamps - Guide Dogs for the Blind are one of the biggest and most popular.

They are sorted, with foreign and commemorative stamps being valuable enough to sell in their own right - if only for a few pence. The rest are sold to bulk out those 'selections' of stamps sold 'unsorted' in bags. Hope this helps. Anyways, I'm sure that if people are willing, some of these UK charities would be really grateful for all those foreign used stamps that are lying around!

Freida

Yes, this is true. I used to save used stamps for an animal organization in Pittsburgh. They would sell them to a man who in turn sold them to stamp collectors. You know, those ads you see in magazines--"Buy a pound of stamps for only $2.95"
Well, they have to come from some place, don't they? Unfortunately it was too time-intensive and they finally gave up doing this. I still have a big bag of stamps that I had not sent to them in time.

Kendra
Let It Wasabi

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kendra   Author's Homepage   E-mail Kendra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my church they we cut stamps and one of the old guys sells them somewhere. A few of the members of the church work for a mail order seed company and in the late winter early fall they get bags and bags of stamped envelopes and people take them home and just cut and cut and cut and cut. (yes I've done it) One of the rules is there has to be at least a quarter inch around the whole stamp or they won't be taken by who ever the person who buys them.

The church also collects old eye glasses to send to the third world with the denominational charity.

Kendra: They were doing pop tabs, you win some, you lose some.

--------------------
I have a hair trigger cynicism and I'm not afraid to use it.

Posts: 588 | From: Niagara | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages