snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Cracker Barrel homophobic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cracker Barrel homophobic?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that the Crackel Barrell corporation is collectively
homophobic? I was told the story of an older lady who worked there for 30
years and was to enjoy the retirement benefits of a pension and whatnot.
However, they discovered she was a lesbian and thus decided to cut off all
her benefits.

Is there any validity to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Agent 7 and 3/8
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there is some validity to this. although I can't verify the specific example mentioned here.

Over the last few years, Cracker Barrel has fired several employees, mostly store managers and servers, because of the employees sexual orientation.

For some time, the gay community was being asked to boycott Cracker Barrel.

I couldn't find any specific on line resources, but there were some stories on the HRC (Human Rights Campain) web site that made reference to Cracker Barrel and their anti-gay employment practices.

www.hrc.org

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BIGHUSKER

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From http://www.hrc.org/newsreleases/1998/981007crackerb.asp

quote:
Cracker Barrel drew national attention in 1991 when it instituted a company policy to fire gay employees. Under this policy, at least 11 workers were fired. When a Cracker Barrel restaurant in a suburb of Atlanta fired cook Cheryl Summerville in 1991, her supervisor wrote on the termination slip that she was fired expressly and solely because she was gay.

Cracker Barrel has never fully repudiated this policy, which was once described as a "well intentioned over-reaction to the perceived values of our customers." The fired workers were never rehired or offered compensation, Birch noted.

That's pretty sickening if the website is accurate. If this is the case, I won't be eating there again.
Sgt Otter

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess the "Cracker" in the name has an additional meaning.
Kill Eye

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever been to a Cracker Barrell restaurant? It's not that much of a hardship for the gay-community to boycott it. Not like say boycotting Papa Gino's.

Kill "mmmmm, pepperoni..." Eye

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages