snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » Zero candybars gone forever?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zero candybars gone forever?
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These are a perfectly good candybar so is it just a rumor that they will no longer be made?
They are white on the outside and very sweet.

Posts: 377 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dilbert
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where did you hear that? Hershey's website has not mention of it and I can find many sites to order them from.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Terilyn

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
they certainly still have them here!! they've even started marketing them MORE...they have the regular ones, the "king size", "SUPER size", and the "bite size ones"...and at a local convenience store they've started selling them frozen, just like snickers and milky way. i certainly hope they aren't going to be discontinued.
Meddik

They are perfect for when you want a candybar, but not a chocolate one...

I get the craving for one every 2-3 months or so, and have to go out and buy about 5 of em.

Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zero didn't turn up on the discontinued list of the Old Time Candy site. There shouldn't be any problem ordering it.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good--it must have been a mistake by the person who wrote the article. I'm craving one right now.
Posts: 377 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
junemiller31

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What the heck is a zero candybar? Never heard of it.

Sarah "charleston chew" T.

Meddik

Caramel and Nougat, covered in White chocolate.

It may have Nuts, I don't recall off the top of my head. It tastes quite different than any other candy bar.

Terilyn

This is a little off topic, but it's sorta related so I'm gonna ask anyway.

When I was little, I didn't even know what white chocolate was. I remember being in the grocery store with my Grandmother, around age 8, and seeing a candy bar that I asked for, to which she replied, "You wouldn't like that. It's a WHITE candy bar." I think I recoiled in horror and probably picked up a snickers or something...and every time I saw one of the candy bars after that I'd go "ew" to myself (Incidently now the only White Chocolate I can tolerate is the coating of a Zero Bar, but I digress). But I was just realizing, that I haven't seen those candy bars in years! I want to know exactly what they were made of, and what the full name was. They were shaped alot like a Hershey Bar - Flat and Rectangular, and the first word was like "Alpine", I think. Seems like the wrapper might've even had a plane on it or something. Who knows. All I know is that it was flat, rectangular, and one of those evil "White Candy Bars". Can anyone help me out?

Continental Op

Terilyn, those were Nestle Alpine White. Not only did they not sell very well, but they had a really short shelf life. Something like three months instead of the six to twelve months of most other chocolate candy bars.

As for Zero bars, the only ones I've seen around here in the last several years were the giant/king size ones.

Terilyn

quote:
Originally posted by Continental Op:
Terilyn, those were Nestle Alpine White. Not only did they not sell very well, but they had a really short shelf life. Something like three months instead of the six to twelve months of most other chocolate candy bars.

Thanks so much!

Wow, only 3 months? I thought they were around for a few years...they must have made a hell of an impression, because I've had that memory of the "strange white candy bar" my whole life...and I've been trying to remember exactly what they were forever. I'm assuming it was just a plain white chocolate bar?

Someone in an earlier post mentioned that they weren't sure if Zero had nuts in it...they do. Almonds, I think, chopped very finely, with nougat, caramel, and white chocolate. Those things are good, but they are so sweet that if I eat a whole one in one sitting my teeth hurt.

Splendid Ap

I was at Kroger yesterday and they had a bunch of ten-packs of them marked down to 79 cents each. (Many candy bars were marked down; not just Zero.) I almost tried some until I noticed they had almonds in them.

(Our late hamster, M.C., was the only almond eater in our family.)

Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love Zero bars. It's weird, because I generally can only take white chocolate in very small doses.

What I really wish they'd start selling in the US is Aero bars. I had one when I was in Toronto, and loved it. I can order them, but shipping is a little salty.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never liked Zero candy bars, but when I was knee-high to a married grasshopper, they used to advertise: "KIDS! Send in Fifty Bajillion Zero Wrappers and we will send you a !!!FREE!!! TOY ROCKET ZERO that will actually FLY."

So I ate the wretched things, lusting after that missile of destruction. I sent off the wrappers and weeks and weeks and weeks passed like a man crawling on hands and knees through the Gobi.

And then it came! Frabjous day! I opened the package and found--

A flat balsa wood "rocket" and a rubber band.

Brad "depressed? I had this pain in the diodes all down my left side" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jolypha
Deck the Malls

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Jolypha   E-mail Jolypha   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Psihala:
Zero didn't turn up on the discontinued list of the Old Time Candy site. There shouldn't be any problem ordering it.

~Psihala

Thanks for this link. At least I know what became of Marathon Bars, Milkshake Bars and Black Jack Gum.

DoubleD

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid my dad was fond of these peppermint-flavored candies that were very light (full of air) and were ball-shaped. They almost melted in your mouth. They came in a greenish can and were called "Air Bons," or something like that. Anyone remember these?
Terilyn

I know of two things that may be sort of similar. Ever since I was a kid I've had those "peppermint sticks" every year...they aren't like candy canes, they are smaller and more powdery, and if you suck on them you can see the air holes develop inside the candy. They are like after dinner mints, except they are shaped like sticks and are red and white striped.

I have also had these things...they are nougat-like, they're white and they usually have either a christmas tree or a star or something in the middle. They are very chewy and they come in Peppermint, Wintergreen and Cinnamon. They are kind of like "jelly candy"-they are kind of like a cross between nougat and taffy, and they are really light.

I have a feeling, though, that neither or those is what you are talking about.

DoubleD

quote:
I know of two things that may be sort of similar. Ever since I was a kid I've had those "peppermint sticks" every year...they aren't like candy canes, they are smaller and more powdery, and if you suck on them you can see the air holes develop inside the candy. They are like after dinner mints, except they are shaped like sticks and are red and white striped.
I have also had these things...they are nougat-like, they're white and they usually have either a christmas tree or a star or something in the middle. They are very chewy and they come in Peppermint, Wintergreen and Cinnamon. They are kind of like "jelly candy"-they are kind of like a cross between nougat and taffy, and they are really light.

No, neither of those is correct. We just had some of those peppermint sticks at our house; my wife bought them at Wal-Mart, I think.

I guess I just need to do a search on Google or something and see what I can find. Might be something nice to get for my dad for Christmas if they still exist anywhere.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages