snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Dog peeing on the furniture - Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dog peeing on the furniture - Help!
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 08 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a one year old Lab who up until about a month ago was perfectly house trained. Out of the blue she started peeing on the rec room chair. It is the only furniture we allow her to sleep on, and we put a blanket there for that purpose. The first couple of times I noticed a wet spot there I thought maybe the kids had spilled something. Then we noticed that the wet spot was there when she got up from the chair. I got some Nature's Miracle and cleaned the spot but she has peed there three more times. The most recent being last night. It isn't even on the same spot on the chair. Two nights ago I realized that her dog bed had a wet spot and when I lifted it, it was absolutely soaking underneath.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Ordinarily I would take her to the vet and have it checked but we just spent a fortune on our sick cat a couple of months ago and our emergency fund is a little low. I don't want to take her there, spend a ton of money on tests andfindout it's behavioural. She isn't the most well behaved dog, but up until now she has never peed in the house.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since you have not caught her at it, and it seems to be only on the spots she sleeps on it sounds like incontinence to me, not any sort of behavioral problem. I appreciate not wanting to run unneccessary tests and spend extra money, but ask yourself this: would you rather waste money on tests and find out it is behavioral, or save the money and find out it was a health problem?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
niner domestic actual
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for niner domestic actual   E-mail niner domestic actual   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you sure it's pee and not saliva? Is your dog excessively licking? Have you actually seen him pee?

My boy has numerous allergies and if not controlled he will lick his front paws and everything beside and under him is soaking wet. (he's soaked right through his bed to the carpet on a number of occasions)

Dogs seldom urinate in the places that they sleep but they do lick.

If your dog is peeing, best to get him to a vet to have his urine checked for an infection. Have the vet also check for allergies and saliva stains between his pads.

--------------------
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 47 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to: take her to the vet. Are you saying that the dog is laying in a dog bed soaked with urine? That just does not sound right.

No dog is going to soak their sleeping place with urine - not deliberately, anyway. This doesn't sound like it is a behavioral problem to me. It sounds like she is having a problem with incontinence.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Labs especially hate to lay in urine, and have been known to hurt themselves in order to avoid going where they sleep.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is definitely urine, not saliva. It doesn't have a strong smell, but it doesn't appear on her face end when she gets up. Also, she doesn't lick very often.

Just to clarify, when I found her dog bed wet, she had just gotten up from a nap. Obviously she had peed quite a bit on it while she slept. She got up and moved to the other side of the room. The last couple of times we noticed the pee on the chair she just got up and lay on the floor. I guess once she does it she doesn't want to stay in that spot anymore.

I have had several people say to me that they had the same problem with their dogs, took them to the vet and it turned out to be behavioural. I really don't think that's the case with Sadie.

It isn't a matter of not wanting to take her to the vet and not wanting to spend the money. It's more a matter of not having the money to spend. Just a couple of months ago we spent $530 on our cat. She had to have tests and medication and, sadly, we ended up having to put her down. Right now our funds are a little low. I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies and get my girl to the Dr.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One more person saying take her to the vet.

One of our guide dogs in training had diabetes insipidus. If it's left untreated, if can cause dehydration, which is NEVER good in any animal.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this may sound far off but is she showing any signs of seizure activity? My Simon is totally house trained since a very young pup, and we kept wandering why his bed/crate was always soaked and then we noticed the seizure activity during the day when we were playing with him. I know animals are expensive but there are so many reasons to take the dog to the vets, alot mentioned above here it could be very simple but I am sure you would want to take care of it as soon as possible. Good Luck.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages