snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Old Cat Having Seizures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old Cat Having Seizures
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My nearly 16 yo cat has been having seizures according to my folks. This beautiful Persian kitty still lives with my parents because she could never seem to adjust to any new environments and they have no shortage of animals around so they don't mind one more cat hanging around.

They are thinking about having her euthenized and I was just wondering if seizures are a sign of the beginning of the end. The seizures seem to be short-lived and she returns to her old self afterwards with no obvious problems. that doesn't technically even belong to them.

So I guess the question is, if she seems happy and content 99% of the time, should Maria Gata be put down or left to live out the rest of her life, however short it may be? She just doesn't appear to be unhappy, suffering or ill aside from a couple of seizures a week, which I have yet to witness. How sick do the kitty experts here think my Maria is?

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elwood, I'm so sorry your parent's cat is having such problems. I had a cat a few years back who suffered from seizures. She was treated with inexpensive medication (phenobarbitol, I think), and was seizure free and comfortable for the rest of her life.

Unfortunately, I believe the seizures were a sign of some underlying problem. Unless you want to spend a fortune on a whole slew of tests, you will probably not find out what the true cause of the seizures is.

If it were my cat I would have her treated for the seizures, and enjoy the time you have with her. If she starts having other symptoms, or the seizures are no longer controlled by the meds, then you can look again at whether it is time to let her go.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother had a dog with epileptic seizures. He was given medication, and lived for a long time with no problem. The medication stopped the seizures completely without any side effects (except that he couldn't get pregnant if he had been a female cat, apparently the medication was the same as the pill for cats).

Before the medication, he would have full grand mal seizures, and we had to try to calm him when the seizure started to go away, as he was afraid and tried to stand up before he really was ready for it, casing him to fall over and get more scared, starting the seizure again. The vet advised against trying to calm him, as he could not be expected to behave rationally and might bite, but I always considered it worth the risk. He was a cavalier king charles spaniel, there is no damage he could have done that couldn't be fixed in an hour with some needle and threads at the hospital.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Elwood, this happened to an elderly kitty of mine also. Unfortunately, they likely signal the beginning of the end -- in mine the seizures were a symptom of multiple organ failure. As long as they don't hurt (and as I recall they don't), there's no reason why kitty can't go on for a bit longer. The seizures will likely come closer and closer together, however, and eventually one may result in coma.

Be warned -- they're very scary to watch! I remember when Fred came out of one she'd be sleepy for a bit afterwards, but otherwise she suffered no outward effects. She didn't have long to go once the seizures started, however, only a matter of weeks.

Sorry. [Smile]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I have experience with seizures in a dog. Since it developed at a young age, the vet just put her on valium.

In this case, the cat was already 15 years, 11 months old when the problems developed. At her age, expensive veternary care seems to be counter-productive. The real question is whether or not Maria Gata is suffering at all and whether or not she should be put down. She seems to be unaware of seizures and mostly just acts like any regular cat. She's clearly aging, her fur is thinning and her coat has changed colors from a strictly deep black to an almost light brown. But I'm over there pretty frequently and when I pet or play with her she seems normal enough to me. Since I don't live with or care for the cat, it's really up to my folks, but I'm just wondering if seizures, in and of themselves justifiy putting her to sleep.

ETA: I'd be content to let Maria live out her days at my house (she's technically mine, she was my 16th birthday present), but she clearly loathes other cats, so I don't think she'd be at all happy here.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Get some blood tests done. Seizures can signify liver or kidney failure - if toxins are building up in the blood they can affect the brain. Also, the results of blood tests will help the vet work out if medication is safe or whether it will damage elderly organs. If the liver or kidneys are involved, sometimes a prescription diet will help (one formulated to not produce so many byproducts).

Also, is there any chance she is reacting to household cleaning products, flea powder etc?

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, I just told my folks to let the seizures go and not to put Maria down unless she's obviously suffering or causing problems around the house with incontinence or whatever. Neither my folks nor I can afford veternary care for a cat that's probably on her last legs anyway. Poor kitty, she really was/is a great pet and companion. She slept in my bed for many years before I got married and moved away. Even now, I make of point of petting her every time I visit, but I think it's time to just let her live out what little life she might have left.

--------------------

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If they are not going to provide veterinary care, my vote would be to euthanize her now. She could be suffering from an underlying, possibly painful condition which may even be treatable. If they are not willing to try to treat it or at least found out what the problem is and whether the cat is in any pain, it would be kinder IMO to put her to sleep now before she becomes more ill.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages