snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Wild Kingdom » Why does my cat lick me so much? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why does my cat lick me so much?
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sasha, my younger female cat likes to lick us, but yesterday she went crazy.

I returned back from swimming yesterday, and I was having my dinner and she started licking my leg. She like it so much that she settled down, out both her hands around my leg and started going at it. And the licking was much harder than her regular licking. I could feel each and every spike on her tongue, kind of, the licks she reserves for grooming herself. I thought it was cute at first, but she kept going at it for close to 10 minutes, and it became irritating. I tried to shoo her away, but she wouldn't budge. I had to move myself and she took up my seat

Late at night, she started licking my back the exact same way she was doing my leg. She even started licking my armpits..eeewww. I tried to push her away and she started doing the my-body-can-move-but-my-head-stays-at-same-place thing. I picked her up, put her on the floor, and she went round and started licking my leg

So, why was she doing that? Was she trying to mark me? eat me? groom me? I have gone swimming before, but she never does that.

Mad "Cat food" Jay

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you take a shower after you swam? If not, that's what I'd recommend: a shower with lots of soap immediately after swimming.

I don't know why she was licking you like that, but it sounds really annoying and creepy, and probably wasn't too good for Sasha, either.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a shower, but not with soap. DO you think she was trying to lick away the chlorine from my skin? I thought skin would absorb a little bit of chlorine, not enough to be dangerous [Eek!] I never even realized that the licking might be bad for her.

Ooh another thing. Yesterday, the swimming instructor gave us flippers, just because we were doing so good, and she wanted us to know how they feel. So, I had rubber flippers on my feet for about half the class. That doesn't explain why she was licking my back

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
I took a shower, but not with soap. DO you think she was trying to lick away the chlorine from my skin? I thought skin would absorb a little bit of chlorine, not enough to be dangerous [Eek!] I never even realized that the licking might be bad for her.

I don't think it would be dangerous, really, but it's probably not the best thing for her. It might have tasted salty or something.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SHE WAS TASTEING YOU!!

Ok, my cats do this sometimes. Normally after taking a shower. I kinda think it is because after swimming/showering, to them, you don't smell "right." And when they don't smell "right" they groom. So maybe they are trying to groom us. That's what I always thought anyway.

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You probably smelled "wrong" to her and she was giving you a good bath. When I was a kid, our cat, Miss Kitty, would scub our hair and faces while we slept (or tried to sleep - a little difficult with a cat slobbering all over us). It was definitely grooming, but communal grooming is one of the ways cats express affection. She wuvs you! (ditto on the chlorine - yucky stuff).
Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MizzyLou:
You probably smelled "wrong" to her and she was giving you a good bath. When I was a kid, our cat, Miss Kitty, would scub our hair and faces while we slept (or tried to sleep - a little difficult with a cat slobbering all over us). It was definitely grooming, but communal grooming is one of the ways cats express affection. She wuvs you! (ditto on the chlorine - yucky stuff).

ETA: Gah! Spanked! FYI, it's only because I carefully CRAFT my posts before I hit the button. Not because I like getting spanked, or anything.

ETalsoA: how did I quote instead of edit? I hereby declare this a bad omen. Maybe my boss will accept that excuse and let me go back home and go to bed.

Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forgotten Fay:
SHE WAS TASTEING YOU!!

Yes, this is probably correct. She was checking that you had been aged and seasoned properly before she eats you. Cats have relatively refined palettes and will quickly become bored eating the same thing day in and day out. She probably figures is she's going to go to human flesh, she should do it up right.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

You don't let her sleep in your bedroom, do you?

--------------------

Saran Wrap
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Saran Wrap   E-mail Saran Wrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had you applied sunscreen? I had a cat who loved the taste of any lotion I would apply to my skin. If you had applied water-proof sunscreen, and hadn't washed it off with soap, the taste could still be present enough to entrance her.

--------------------
"I find in myself desires which nothing in this earth can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 57 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our kitty grooms "her" boy all the time. She will get on his lap and lick his face, his hair, his arms, all the while he is trying to get her to settle down and cuddle. She doesn't do this to me or hubby, just the boy. I always thought it was her being momma kitty to him. Oh, and of all the licker kitties I've ever had, they're all female.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it may be a chlorine thing- when I used to work at Pizza Hut in my younger days I had to use bleach for certain cleaning tasks, and every time I came home with a bleach smell one of my cats would go absolutely nuts trying to lick any exposed bleah-scented part of my hands. I never could figure out why that particular smell would set him off like that.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat, Thomas, (now gone to the Rainbow Bridge)would wait on the newel post of the staircase for me. If I had wet and freshly washed hair, he'd grab my head with both of his huge, strong paws and hold me still so he could lick my head. Yes, I am a wimp, I let him do it. 1) He was a biiiiig kitty (23 lbs.) and his paws and claws were ouchy, so not moving was the safer option. 2) His fur was always beautiful, soft, and shiny... so maybe cat spit is not a bad thing on hair... (ok, that was a joke.) I always thought that one of the animal based derivative ingredients in my conditioner was attractive to carnivores. Were you wearing sunscreen on your back? If so, maybe one of the lotion ingredients just smelled yummy.

Works Cited: A poster comments that after using a hair product, the cat licked her daughter's hair.

ETA: Spanked and good by Saran Wrap about the lotions possibility!

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

One of my cats used to bury her head in my hair after I had it cut and styled at the salon. She apparently liked the hair products my stylist used.

--------------------

CitizenAim

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat used to do this to my hand. I really liked how rough it felt on my hand, like it was being exfoliated so I just started to present her with my hand. She'd be sitting in my lap and I'd hold my hand out and she'd thoroughly clean it for me.

I think she eventually would do it just knowing I enjoyed it, just as a way of saying, "Hey, thanks for scratching behind my ears and under my chin where I can't. Also, for leaving the patio screen open and letting me make cute chattering noises at birds and squirrels."

Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
You don't let her sleep in your bedroom, do you?

She lets us sleep in our bedroom. [lol] We tried keeping them out of the bed, but it became too troublesome. Nico, my elder male cat is a watchcat, and he has to watch us all the time. If we close the door, he gets worried and starts pawing on the door. Sasha likes to sleep on a pillow, and she would sleep near our head. We got a kitty cubby for her to sleep in. Now, they do visit us at night sometimes, but it's not frequent enough to be a problem

Next time I go to swimming, I'm going to test this out with the chlorine. As long as she is not planning to kill me in my sleep and eat me, I'm fine [Big Grin]

ETA: Oops, missed the bit about sunscreen. No, I normally don't wear sunscreen. Usually, only when I know I going to be out in the sun. The class is at night in an indoor pool, so I didn't really feel the need to wear sunscreen.

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Lainie

Mad Jay, I can tell you from personal experience, if a cat takes a bite out of you when you're sleeping, you will wake up! [Eek!]

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat is a major licker of many odd things:

She tries to lick my face, as that hurts, I always move my face so she either licks my beard or my hair. She also likes to lick clear packing tape and ink jet printed documents.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

One of our cats used to wake my ex-h by licking his whiskers. He had a very coarse beard, and her sandpaper tongue being raked against it made quite a noise.

I've had several cats that like to lick plastic bags. DD had a stuffed hippo that wore a stiff net tutu, and the cats liked licking that (again with the noise!).

--------------------

NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cat tries to lick the outside corners of my eyes in the morning. I figure I clean off her eye stuff, so, to her mind, she's returning the favor. I'd be happier if she would just learn to wash her own face. Also, if she's sitting in my lap while grooming herself, she'll often start grooming me, also.

I had heard that cats didn't like citrus, so I tried putting lemon juice on my hands to keep her from biting. She then proceeded to thoroughly lick every inch of my hands. I guess either the citrus thing is wrong, or I have a weird cat. Or both. [Smile]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
NeeCD, I've heard citrus is a cat deterrent too, but I heard it was oranges that they don't like, particularly orange rinds... there's a new experiment for you [Smile]

And I had a friend with a cat that would groom me every morning when I stayed there. She would nuzzle and slobber in my ear, and groom my hair on the side of my head. I'd wake up and my hair would be all plastered to my head funny and my ear would be full of slobber. She only did that to ME though, and I dind't even live there!!!

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slick always tries to lick me dry when I come out of the shower. And he always gets between the plastic and cloth curtains when I shower. I think he likes the warmth. If I take a bath, he sits on the side and dips the very tip of his tail in the water or else he crooks his tail so it hovers over the water. And he reaches over and paws my shoulder as if to say "Hey, dummy, that soap and water will take all the oils out of your fur. Get out of there!"

He also licks my feet when I come home from work. I think since I wear sandals and walk around during the day, he's checking out the various scents on my feet. Not only does he lick them, but he gets on top of them and positively wallows. He rubs his whiskers on my feet which I understand is how they deposit their scent. So I guess he's re-marking me when I come back from the Great Out There.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
khadijah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khadijah   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
this is funny, one of my cats (female, of course) loves to lick photographs. I used to have a number of them on my wall, and in the mornings i was woken up to that scratching sound, she would climb up on a shelf and lick the photos until i pulled her away.

my male guinea pig is also a licker.

i always thought it was to do with a need for salt. although after reading these posts i am thinking its more an expression of affection. awwww.

Posts: 122 | From: Minneapolis/London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Gale:
Slick always tries to lick me dry when I come out of the shower. And he always gets between the plastic and cloth curtains when I shower. I think he likes the warmth. If I take a bath, he sits on the side and dips the very tip of his tail in the water or else he crooks his tail so it hovers over the water. And he reaches over and paws my shoulder as if to say "Hey, dummy, that soap and water will take all the oils out of your fur. Get out of there!"

Our kitten does the between-the-curtains and edge-of-the-tub thing. She doesn't lick me dry or put her tail in the water, though (not on purpose, anyhow!). She will lick the soap bubbles if I let her, or lick my feet or knees if they're where she can reach them. She is absolutely fascinated with bathing and showering.

--------------------

Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My current cats never lick me, but every cat I've ever owned would jump in the shower after I was done and lick up the soapy water on the drain. There's something about certain scents that just attract them, I guess.

My mom's chihuahua is a big-time licker, especially if you are sweaty. When I came in from mowing my parents' lawn, she practically attacked me to get some of that sweat off of my hands, arms and face.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
schumichick
Deck the Malls

Icon 04 posted      Profile for schumichick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
my Calvin does the toe/foot rubbing/sniffing thing -- especially during the warmer weather when no socks are worn
he rubs behind his ears along the toes
Calvin also has a very strong reaction to menthol/mint
I have not used BenGay in 11 years because he goes crazy if he smells it
I used to wash my face with Noxzema each night & he would come up & sniff my face
he sniffs my lips if he can near them when I have my Burt's Bees lip balm
& I have found some gum wrappers (peppermint) pulled from the trash can
ETA: Calvin also loves tape -- he sniffs/snorts it & then does this cough/sneeze thing

Luther is a nurser
he nurses on my upper left arm (his strong preference) or my upper left chest side
he does not have the menthol/mint obsession his brother does

Mad Jay -- nice pictures of Nico & Sasha
Nico looks so much like my Midnight (1971-1986) in that photo

--------------------
'We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.' -- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 391 | From: the left coast of the USA -- WA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Our big black cat, Toulouse, loves stinky feet and shoes, the stinkier the better. He'll stick his whole face into somebody's shoe to suck up the smell.

He also likes tobacco. A smoker friend was visiting, and Toulouse actually dug through her purse to get to her cigarettes, then licked the box. He was obsessed with the cigarettes and kept trying to get to them.

--------------------

Crackrzz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mom's calico, Mineu, is also a licker.

Mine licks sometimes, but not so much. She's snuggly when she wants to be.

Anyone hear of this? My cat is nuts for green olives. I looked it up on the net and found a discussion and it turns out black & white cats seem to love them.

Mom had given me some and I ate a few. I sat on the bed and kitty came up and sniffed my breath... nearly went foolish. So I gave her a couple.

It was like catnip. She proceeded to kick herself in the face with her back paws. She hasn't quite done that since (never got the same high as the first time hehehe) but she will lick my hands clean when I give her some.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that licking is a form of oral fixation. I have two cats (male & female) that do this while pounding with their paws. Basically means they were weaned too early. The two cats in question usually do this when I'm wearing a woolly jumper.

I think generally licking is a sign of affection though. I had two rats, one of which would lick, in fact it was the only way I could tell the two rats apart. One of my rats also opened a packet of cigarettes and tried to chew it!

P.S. Lainie, that is a great name for a cat. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The evil kitten* Max is a black and white cat with an olive obsession. He will beg me for them, slobber them, chase them around the floor, smash them with his paw like they were mice. He spits out the pimiento, though.

However, his "sister" Shadow is a bronze and grey tabby and has an equal addiction, so perhaps it's not really color/marking related?

Morning Fog
*this kitten is turning 10 years old in March.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Pikey Queen:
P.S. Lainie, that is a great name for a cat. [Big Grin]

Thank you, I'll pass that along to DD. She named him after one of the kittens in The Artistocats. Her first suggestion for a name from that movie was "Frou-frou," but I nixed that. It's a silly name, and Frou-fou was a horse. A mare, at that. To be fair, DD was only three at the time.

--------------------

NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paisley rain:
NeeCD, I've heard citrus is a cat deterrent too, but I heard it was oranges that they don't like, particularly orange rinds... there's a new experiment for you [Smile]

Well, she likes the orange creme flavored yogurt (I give her the lids to lick), but I haven't ever tried a strong orange flavor/smell with her - it's worth a shot, even though she's much better now about biting.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Glitch is a licker. Her preference was DH hair or beard. Some mornings, if we didn't have to rush, Glitch would spend 20 minutes cleaning DH's beard. As she's gotten older Glitch isn't quite so insistent about cleaning DH, but will still lick hands, arms and faces if the opportunity presents itself. We call it 'kitty dermabrasion'.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww, your Nico looks just like my Tybalt, who is the licker in my kitty family.

He will groom DH's hair forever if you let him. He doesn't do me, though, because the few times he tried my longer hairs really got on his nerves.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pikey Queen:
I've heard that licking is a form of oral fixation. I have two cats (male & female) that do this while pounding with their paws. Basically means they were weaned too early.

My vet says that means they are happy, like they were with their litter and mommy.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages