snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Crossbow used in road rage attack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crossbow used in road rage attack
Black Belt and Socks
The First USA Noel

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Black Belt and Socks   E-mail Black Belt and Socks       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A Little Rock man used a crossbow to attack another driver who had cut him off:

Story here

You just knew alcohol had to be involved.

And this happened about six blocks from where I work [Eek!]

BB "what's next, jousting?" &S

--------------------
"How dare your reality hinder my ability to believe what I want!" Joe Bentley

Posts: 697 | From: Backwoods of Arkansas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bethntim
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bethntim         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So let me get this right, alcohol, deadly weapon and a suspended license? They may as well put that guy under the jail, looks like he'll be in there for a while. That is so scary, can you imagine getting out of your car to confront someone and then having a cross bow pulled on you?!?! I'm too much of a chicken to ever confront someone no matter what they did to me, I always imagine them having a deadly weapon tucked away. I at least hope the guy was out hunting and doesn't keep this in her car for such situations.

--------------------
Take only pictures, leave only footprints...

Posts: 255 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bethntim:
So let me get this right, alcohol, deadly weapon and a suspended license?

Two deadly weapons: The crossbow and the car.

quote:
Originally posted by bethntim:
I at least hope the guy was out hunting and doesn't keep this in her car for such situations.

I can't say what the law is in Arkansas, but in Texas it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow unless you're disabled.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Berry Well
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Berry Well     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't say what the law is in Arkansas, but in Texas it is illegal to hunt with a crossbow unless you're disabled.
Same for Oklahoma, but the article said:

quote:
Archery-crossbow hunting seasons for deer, bear and turkey began Oct. 1 so it is not extraordinary that someone might be carrying a crossbow in their vehicle this time of year.
So I guess that in Little Rock anyone can hunt with a cross bow

--------------------
And if she says come inside I'll come inside for her.
If she says give it all I'll give everything to her.
I am justified. I am purified. I am sanctified. Inside you

Posts: 695 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:

Okay, I have to ask... Why? Why is it illegal to hunt with a crossbow if you are able bodied, but not if you are disabled? Is a crossbow simply easier to reload than a rifle for someone with disabilities? I'm not being snarky, I just find this a really bizarre law.

Though on a vaguely related note, I once saw a gang of teenagers walking through a not-great area of glasgow, most of whom were carrying bats/poles etc, but one of whom had a crossbow nochalantly slung over his shoulder. Luckily I was just passing in a car, but that was pretty strange right there.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whew. Little Rock. I was afraid one of my ex-inlaws was involved.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SiKboy:
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:

Okay, I have to ask... Why? Why is it illegal to hunt with a crossbow if you are able bodied, but not if you are disabled? Is a crossbow simply easier to reload than a rifle for someone with disabilities?
No, but it's easier to use than a real bow. State hunting regulations define what sort of game you can hunt and by what means. In Virginia, there are different seasons for different animals and different weapons. Hunters who use archery and muzzleloaders can hunt certain game weeks earlier than they can with firearms. So archers and muzzleloader owners get the benefit of hunting early in the season in return for hunting by a more difficult method.

In most states you can't hunt except with certain classes of approved weapons, of which a crossobow might not be allowed. But there could be exceptions made for someone who wants to hunt with arrows but cannot use a bow, if the law allows.

Virginia allows archery tackles and crossbows under certain conditions, though the hunter must have a license for a crossbow. Laws on hunting and weapons vary greatly across the country.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
quote:
Okay, I have to ask... Why? Why is it illegal to hunt with a crossbow if you are able bodied, but not if you are disabled? Is a crossbow simply easier to reload than a rifle for someone with disabilities?

No, but it's easier to use than a real bow.
Ah, right, that makes sense. Thanks for the explaination FFA. It simply didnt occur to me that a crossbow would be an an easier alternative to a bow. I read "hunting" and assumed "gun". Well, you live and learn.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay, I have to ask... Why? Why is it illegal to hunt with a crossbow if you are able bodied, but not if you are disabled? Is a crossbow simply easier to reload than a rifle for someone with disabilities? I'm not being snarky, I just find this a really bizarre law.

Like Finite Fourier Alchemy said, there is an early season for hunting only with bows. Crossbows are legal for disabled people because their disability may not allow them to properly draw and fire a bow. It's a way of accommodating their disability.

quote:
Though on a vaguely related note, I once saw a gang of teenagers walking through a not-great area of glasgow, most of whom were carrying bats/poles etc, but one of whom had a crossbow nochalantly slung over his shoulder. Luckily I was just passing in a car, but that was pretty strange right there.

[lol]
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a case in RI similar to this except the guy who got shot at was killed. It's under the road ranger description in this article: http://www.angeresources.com/motorbeware.html
The guy got life in prison.

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages