snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » Police Blotter » Teen forced to drink turpentine in abortion attempt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teen forced to drink turpentine in abortion attempt
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Police have arrested the mother and two cousins of a pregnant 16-year-old who are accused of forcing the teen to drink turpentine in an attempt to induce an abortion.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0926Turpentine26-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I can see how this works. Kill the mother, kill the fetus.

Makes perfect sense. [Roll Eyes]

These people are disgusting.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. How repugnant. The poor kid is raped, becomes pregnant, and is forced by her mother to drink turpentine to "abort" the baby.

I am confused, though, by how the mother and cousins could be charged with criminal abortion, when the girl did not actually miscarry the fetus.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The women might have wanted the teen to have an abortion because her pregnancy could have exacerbated an unrelated health problem, Bohannon said.
And drinking turpentine will not have exacerbated this health problem?

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 07 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:
The women might have wanted the teen to have an abortion because her pregnancy could have exacerbated an unrelated health problem, Bohannon said.
And drinking turpentine will not have exacerbated this health problem?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
serarose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serarose   E-mail serarose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That poor girl.What the heck were those people thinking?

--------------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning- Einstein

Posts: 290 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That parents always know best?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with parents trying to force their kids into an abortion against their will? Creepy.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
I am confused, though, by how the mother and cousins could be charged with criminal abortion, when the girl did not actually miscarry the fetus.

i'd think that even if the medical procedure were unsuccessful, the fact that it was attempted would be enough. Not that forcing someone to drink turpentine is a medical procedure. Well, not anymore.

Ryda "How I wish I had the strength to answer Artimis' question" Wong

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, what were these people thinking ? Oh wait I don't think they were.

E_E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:

Probably the same way that attempted murder carries the same sentence as murder. "But the person didn't actually die" is not a valid defence. The intent was to unlawfully cause an abortion, so that's what the charge is based upon.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing as how i know nothing of the chemical components of turpentine, but wouldn't drinking it put her in as much danger as the fetus? How did they know it wouldn't kill her?
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serarose:.What the heck were those people thinking? [/QB]
They weren't thinking. Had they been thinking they never would have tried something this stupid. They should get longer than ten years for a crime like this.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venus:
Seeing as how i know nothing of the chemical components of turpentine, but wouldn't drinking it put her in as much danger as the fetus? How did they know it wouldn't kill her?

Dude. It's Columbus, GA. You ever drunk home-brew from that section of the state? Turpentine is mild compared to that.....I got it. [fish]

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to point out where these people went wrong in their plan, but I'm afraid to give any other NFBSK-heads out there ideas...

so I'll just say, if that was the goal, there was a much better way to go about it [fish]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes me wonder why they didn't consider a regular abortion at some point in the pregnancy.. Though I suppose they may have only found out after viability.. If there was an actual health risk posed to the girl from pregnancy (and I doubt it, but you never know) they may have still been able to have one done, not sure without more detials).

Still, horrible, and very poorly thought out (not trying to make lite of it, just saying..)

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Three months is way before viability. My hunch is that it's a lot easier to physically force someone to drink something toxic than to persuade a health clinic to perform an abortion against the patient's wishes.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:
Three months is way before viability. My hunch is that it's a lot easier to physically force someone to drink something toxic than to persuade a health clinic to perform an abortion against the patient's wishes.

Yup. Considering the leading cause of death for pregnant women is homicide of one kind or another*, I'd say the idea isn't all that rare. "Oops, kicked her too hard that time."

Not to mention, this study found:

"The incidence of assaults involving hospitalizations was 65 per 100,000 person-years for pregnant women versus 21 per 100,000 for all women (rate ratio 3.14; 95% confidence interval [CI] 2.04, 3.39)."

I.E., Pregnant women are 3.14 times more likely to end up in a hospital for assault then non-pregnant. Makes you wonder.

*Horon, I., & Cheng, D., (2001). Enhanced Surveillance for Pregnancy-Associated Mortality - Maryland, 1993 - 1998. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 285, No. 11, March 21, 2001.

+Weiss HB, Lawrence BA, Miller TR., (2002). Pregnancy-associated assault hospitalizations. Obstet Gynecol. 2002 Oct;100(4):773-80.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the MSDS, the target organs upon ingestion are the respriatory system and the central nervous system.

It is not immediately fatal, although it may end up causing birth defects.

I wonder why the more serious charge is criminal abortion rather than, oh, I don't know, attempted murder or whatever they would charge someone for deliberately poisoning the teen.

Poor kid!

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
I.E., Pregnant women are 3.14 times more likely to end up in a hospital for assault then non-pregnant. Makes you wonder.

Or that doctors are 3.14 times more likely to keep a pregnant woman overnight for observation after an assault rather than treat and release her. Statistics are what you make of them...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-V:
quote:

Or that doctors are 3.14 times more likely to keep a pregnant woman overnight for observation after an assault rather than treat and release her. Statistics are what you make of them...
Which still makes pregnant women 3.14 times more likely to end up in a hospital for assault than non-pregnant women. Ryda wasn't "making" anything of the statistic - it didn't speak to reason for hospitalizations, only the pregnancy status of the women who were assaulted.

Edited: extraeneous "who" - who who, indeed!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaleOrderBride
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaleOrderBride   E-mail MaleOrderBride   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yup. Considering the leading cause of death for pregnant women is homicide of one kind or another*, I'd say the idea isn't all that rare. "Oops, kicked her too hard that time."

"The incidence of assaults involving hospitalizations was 65 per 100,000 person-years for pregnant women versus 21 per 100,000 for all women (rate ratio 3.14; 95% confidence interval [CI] 2.04, 3.39)."

*Horon, I., & Cheng, D., (2001). Enhanced Surveillance for Pregnancy-Associated Mortality - Maryland, 1993 - 1998. The Journal of the American Medical Association, 285, No. 11, March 21, 2001.

+Weiss HB, Lawrence BA, Miller TR., (2002). Pregnancy-associated assault hospitalizations. Obstet Gynecol. 2002 Oct;100(4):773-80.

Why is the health/abuse of a pregnant woman considered more outrageous than the health/abuse of a non-pregnant woman...the only difference is that the pregnant woman has a parasite inside of her, remember? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 35 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaleOrderBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaleOrderBride   E-mail MaleOrderBride   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Why is the health/abuse of a pregnant woman considered more outrageous than the health/abuse of a non-pregnant woman...the only difference is that the pregnant woman has a parasite inside of her, remember? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 35 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaleOrderBride:

Nobody said it was more outrageous. Ryda said it was more common. The words "outrageous" and "common" are not synonyms.

Oh, and strawman: The pro-choice position is that a woman's decision regarding the fate of her pregnancy should not be coerced, whether by an abusive SO or parent or by law. No supporter of women's reproductive freedom has ever suggested that all pregnancies should end, or that abortion is inherently preferable.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Or that there is anything wrong with a pregnant woman wanting and loving her fetus and thinking of it as a baby rather than a parasite. Such a thing is often cause for celebration.

--------------------

kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Just remember that you, too, were once a parasite.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

I think MaleOrderBride is making fun of people who talk about the fetus as a parasite. But if you google for fetus and abortion and parasite, you'll actually get more anti-abortion websites than pro-choice ones. Funny, that.

--------------------

MaleOrderBride

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:

Nobody said it was more outrageous. Ryda said it was more common. The words "outrageous" and "common" are not synonyms.
Well, perhaps Ryda Wong can explain why we even have stats on domestic violence on women carrying parasites? Where are the stats on all the women with lice who get beaten up by their partners? What about all those women with black eyes who are infested with spirochetes? They're all parasites, right?
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kmcm:
quote:

Just remember that you, too, were once a parasite.
The only difference is that MOB never stopped being one.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, perhaps Ryda Wong can explain why we even have stats on domestic violence on women carrying parasites? Where are the stats on all the women with lice who get beaten up by their partners? What about all those women with black eyes who are infested with spirochetes? They're all parasites, right?

My ex never tried to kill me when I had a yeast infection, but he did try to kill me when I was pregnant. Why not ask the abusers, since apparently they're the ones making the distinction.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
Ryda wasn't "making" anything of the statistic - it didn't speak to reason for hospitalizations, only the pregnancy status of the women who were assaulted.

No, she didn't jump to any conclusion. However:

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Nobody said it was more outrageous. Ryda said it was more common.

Lainie immediately assumes that it is more common. Thus Ryda's posting lead Lainie to that conclusion that the numbers mean assaults are 3.14 times more common (which I knew someone would, of course, that's why I made the comment).
This suggests it's 35-50% more common. But then it may be more common for pregnant women to report it or seek medical attention, so you probably can't trust those numbers either. Not that it's any less reprehensible.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages