snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » vaccines made from cells aborted fetuses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vaccines made from cells aborted fetuses
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 05 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In a history class I’m taking we recently talked about the 1970s feminist movement, which brought up the Roe v. Wade case which in turn brought up a debate about abortions. My teacher, while claiming to stay neutral, (which he didn’t but that’s for rantidote) made the comment that some vaccines are made from the cells of aborted fetuses, specifically the chicken pox and the Hepatitis A vaccines. This just doesn’t sound correct to me. I asked him for his sources and he said he found it on the Net ( so you know it must be true [Roll Eyes] ). I have learned to take what he says with a grain of salt after he tried to passes off the Kennedy/ Lincoln coincidences. I would like some info to take back to this class because I know some the students will take all he says as the gospel truth. I hope I don’t start a debate about abortions on here, I just want to know if aborted fetuses are used in vaccines.

mystic burrito

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rainmom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainmom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://vaccinationnews.com/DailyNews/June2001/VaccineIngredients.htm

Says the info is from the 1997 Physicians' Desk Reference. Thimerisol, a mercury based preservative, may be removed from many of the child vaccines. Some vaccines are listed as having fetal tissue in them. The tissue may be used in a growth medium for the viruses (?)

Rain "eww" mom

Posts: 348 | From: Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I checked the current prescribing information for Havrix, the first on I saw on the list at the link above. It does say that it is "propagated in MRC5 human diploid cells". However the "(originating from human aborted fetal tissue)" is not a part of the prescribing information. There is no mention of the source of the diploid cells and all the sites I found which say it is aborted fetal tissue have an obvious bias. Maybe someone else knows if aborted fetal tissue is the source and the only source for these cells.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages