snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Babies drink and breathe simultaneously

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babies drink and breathe simultaneously
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My friends says that after a baby is born, he/she can drink and breathe at
the same time. He has no idea what changes occur to not allow adults to
do this, nor does he know when these changes occur (after 30 days? 4
months?). I have never heard of this, but he claims to have read it in a
textbook somewhere.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds impossible to me. Maybe it's because the baby doesn't let go of the nipple that it appears to never need to come up for air, but babies, like us, can breathe through their noses. And they do. They can hold milk in their mouths to take in air, but so can we. Breathing and swallowing can't happen at the same time, but breathing and drinking might. That's not a spectacular feat, though.

Av "is there a doctor in the house?" ril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 500 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I remember right, a baby will take two or three swallows, then breathe. At least, that's how my kid does it, but maybe he's just weird. [Wink]

Lizzy "like his mom" Bean

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Erin
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Erin   Author's Homepage   E-mail Erin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have three week old niece, and having fed her often, I can easily see that she sucks and the breathes. In fact, after she sucks she's breathes heavily after from her effort.

--------------------
I am the snake. Bite, bite, bite.

Posts: 247 | From: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
True, according to my linguistics textbook (which I already sold back and therefore cannot cite). Infants' throats are aligned differently so there's greater division between the airway and the esophagus. It shifts into the adult alignment after a few months, at which point the baby's vocal range increases and it becomes able to make linguistic sounds.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it also true that babies can remain under water for semi-long periods of time (I don't know how long I heard) with out having problems?

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilbeth
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My child spent a long time in the Neonatal Intensive Care unit after birth and didn't drink from a bottle until she was over a month old. One of the problems we had with her was getting her to coordinate her sucking and her breathing. She would (as do many preemie babaies learning to nurse either from bottle or breast) only do one or the other. Her oxygen sats would dip way down when she was drinking and a couple times she had to be bagged to get her breathing sufficiently again.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 500 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chappell78:
Isn't it also true that babies can remain under water for semi-long periods of time (I don't know how long I heard) with out having problems?

Babies, when put underwater, automatically hold their breaths. But they can't last very long, since their lungs are so small. Which is why you have to be so careful around children and water. They can drown very quickly.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 504 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The person who said that never tried to nurse a baby with a stuffed up nose.

Normally it is suck, suck, inhale through nose, suck suck. When the nose is plugged, the baby has to either let go after a few sucks to breath, or chomp down harder and try to breath through the sides of the mouth.

Guess which way my kids picked?

Li "OW!" sa

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SpookyGirl

I remember this from linguistics class also. IIRC, infants have the same throat structure as non-human primates, so they can breathe and swallow at the same time. It's a mechanism that keeps them from choking, and one that they lose as they mature and develop the ability to speak.

I don't remember if the change in structure happens because the baby begins using its throat for talking, or if it's just part of the growth process.

Mr. Furious

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2XL told me about this, so it must be true!

15 points if you have any idea what 2XL is. [Smile]

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard my Mum talking about this with a friend of mine who was talking about how he plays the digeridoo, they were discussing circular breathing, and my Mother was saying it's the same basic concept that babies used at the breast and crusties use to play the didge...

...my Mum then embarrassed me thoroughly by saying " Ah! Here's Jay - when he was at the nipple he used etc etc"  -

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Spider in the Ointment

Babies of course grow up in fluid until they're born... so I would think that a new born baby would not drown as easily as an adult human.

I don't know enough about this, but perhaps some oxygen travels via the placenta... so the breathing is done for it.

Baby swimming is very fashionable. Most famously featured on the cover of Nirvana's most popular album. Some say this is to do with our evolution... more simply, it's because a baby's breathing apparatus is quite different, not because we're necessarily an amphibious species at heart.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages