snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Adult Height = Double Two Year Old Height?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adult Height = Double Two Year Old Height?
Mr. Fed
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mr. Fed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Fed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As our son reaches 15 months old, we have, of course, been typically fretful parents. Will he continue to be health? Does he have asthma? Is he smart? If he grows up to be a serial killer, will he at least be an urbane, mannered, and well-educated one like Hannibal Lechter?

One recent issue of discussion is his height. We don't expect him to be terribly tall -- his birth parents were 5'7" and 5'3" -- but we wonder how being raised here makes a difference. It doesn't make a big difference -- we'll love him at any height -- but it would be interesting to know if basketball is in his future. [Big Grin]

We've been wondering about two claims that we suspect are old wive's tales: (1) as an adult, your child will be twice as tall as they are at age two, and (2) though Asians may be, on average, shorter than Caucasians (at least North American Caucasians), Asians raised in the U.S. tend to be taller, on average, than their counterparts raised in Asia, based perhaps on diet.

The first claim strikes me as very old-wives-tailish, and the second makes me skeptical, as nearly any race-based claim does. Any thoughts?

--------------------
With occasional, half-hearted, semi-literate blogging comes great responsibility.

Posts: 1621 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The version I heard of your first question is that boys are half their adult height at the age of two, while girls are half theirs at 18 months. I don't know whether it's true: I suspect you get a better idea by applying the formula they give you in the back of the baby book, based on the parents' heights.

I actually think there's some truth in the second question, and I'll dig up some data later if I have time. American-born Chinese are bigger (taller snd broader as well as fatter, with higher BMIs) on average than those born in Asia. Moreover, the average size of Chinese born in Asia is also increasing, presumably as a result of better nutrition.

I'm not sure about other Asians (e.g. people from the Indian subcontinent and Central Asians), as I mostly read things concerned with China.

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
o dai wai - A big, safe beach
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found some height and weight charts on the web a while back. *rummage* Here we go.

The male height at 240 months is 2.04 times the height at 24 months.
The female height at 240 months is 1.92 times the height at 24 months.

Pretty accurate for an old wives tale...

dave

edited to add: Basing the child's adult height on that of it's parents may not be sensible. Both of my parents are under 5'6", but I'm 5'11" and my brothers are taller.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
captain1

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a non married male this issue means litle to me.

More importantly can someone give me a chart showing how my curretn girlfriends ass will grom from 240 months to 480 months???

Ok I apologise tot he feminists out there it was a terrible attempt at humour!!!

D. Dodge Silver

Icon 211 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by captain1:

More importantly can someone give me a chart showing how my curretn girlfriends ass will grom from 240 months to 480 months???

Ok I apologise tot he feminists out there it was a terrible attempt at humour!!!

Could you apologize to the grammarians and lexicographers too? It was a terrible attempt at composing English sentences.

D. Dodge "Nationalist:Nation::Racist:Race, Sexist:Gender::Feminsist:?" Silver

Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Measurements vary, depending upon whether or not you marry her. My guess is that if she reads your post, she will remain fashionably thin, but she'll dump you. If she doesn't read your posts, she'll lose what's left of her teeth, wear combat boots, and need two tickets to fly Southwest Airlines.

Muck Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I don't think you can tell someone's height at two... Maybe their /maximum/ height, or genetically programmed height, but what if they have an hormonal disbalance at puberty? What if they starve for a year?

Doesn't sleep affect it, too?

'Tienne

Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Abducted Etienne:
Somehow I don't think you can tell someone's height at two... Maybe their /maximum/ height, or genetically programmed height, but what if they have an hormonal disbalance at puberty? What if they starve for a year?

Doesn't sleep affect it, too?

'Tienne

Of course there are exceptions and unforeseen occurences, but the charts are based on thousands of observations and are a useful guide to guessing.

Sleep? How does sleep affect height? (unless you're lying down, of course)

dave

fastcreeper

Icon 101 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Rest assured, it will never outpace the one at the top of your shoulders.

Apology or not that was too easy to pass on and to much of an invitation to try.

jobeibi

Icon 207 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom says this formula worked for all of her kids except the one who had cancer. He's a little shorter than expected.

My daughter will be 5'9" if this really works. I'll keep ya posted. Check back in 6 years.

Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This theory came up at my parents' house maybe twenty years ago. And, of course, my mother proceeds to find the little slips of paper that the pediatrician gives you at your yearly check-ups which list your current height and weight. Now, my parents have seven kids and mom had all of these slips for all seven kids (she never throws anything away). Amazingly enough the theory held true - all seven of us were within a half inch of our 2-year-old height doubled.

Hardly scientific - but interesting, nonetheless.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueRose

Well, my son's birth parents were a 5'3" Hispanic girl (like me) and a 5'10" Irish-German fellow (like my husband... no, we did not specifically request this) and according to the "height at 2 x 2" formula", he should be 5'6" when fully grown. If so, basketball is not in his future, but he seems awfully tall for his age (which is 8 right now) and looks like he will be the lanky type.

On the other hand, one of my nieces who is a month older than my son, was 3'4" on her 2nd birthday (she always was a big kid, but....) My sister-in-law was traumatized to think that her daughter would be 6'8" tall as an adult (neither parent is over 6' tall).

Of course, that was before the WNBA came along, so maybe she's resigned herself to it.

BlueRose

A Midway Summer Night's Dream

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o dai wai - A big, safe beach:
Of course there are exceptions and unforeseen occurences, but the charts are based on thousands of observations and are a useful guide to guessing...

Dave, luv ya man but what nfbsk'n charts? where? Ok I'm a little jumpy 'cause by this my daughter will only be about 4'10"...

My best bud was called "Peewee" all though grade school and H.S. his senior year he grew about a foot (slight exageration alert) and he's about 5'10" today.

Midway "baby doc told my mom I'd be 6' - I'm 5'7"" Bill

Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Midway Summer Night's Dream:
quote:
Originally posted by o dai wai - A big, safe beach:
Of course there are exceptions and unforeseen occurences, but the charts are based on thousands of observations and are a useful guide to guessing...

Dave, luv ya man but what nfbsk'n charts? where?
Well, in Hong Kong we get issued with a booklet when the baby's born (pink for girls, blue for boys), in which to record the baby's height, weight and head circumference, medical history, when it reaches its milestones etc. These booklets contain growth charts for height, weight and head circumference based on Hong Kong records, from birth to age 18.

If you don't have such a booklet for your daughter (I've no idea what local practice is where you live, of course), you can request the charts from her paediatrician or find them in books. Online, you can get an instant reading of her current centile positions here, for example, and you can download full graphs for the US from the CDC.

Of course, the charts can't tell you how tall your daughter's going to be, but children generally stick to around the same centile line, so it's a fair bet you can just follow her current line up to age 18 and get a good idea of her likely adult height.

Kate "graphic illustration" S

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by A Midway Summer Night's Dream:

Dave, luv ya man but what nfbsk'n charts? where? Ok I'm a little jumpy 'cause by this my daughter will only be about 4'10"...

Midway "baby doc told my mom I'd be 6' - I'm 5'7"" Bill

Try here: http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/growth_charts.html

These aren't the same as the ones I've got, but mine are for a mixed-race child. As Kate said, you also get the little booklet from the hospital. not sure if it goes up to twenty though.

dave "Spinal Tap Reference here"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages